Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Return of the New Xmas Toy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Return of the New Xmas Toy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonBoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Return of the New Xmas Toy Reply with quote

DavidW many thanks for all your help and did you get my email?
Sadly the new toy didn't last very long and it had to go back to Santa. After several dozen reboots I came to the conclusion that the rz1710 was in dire need of a turbo mem chip. It simply couldn't handle the limited version of TomTom without freezing. Whilst on a trial journey I had to stop to answer the phone and look up an address in the PDA. A message came up with low memory and it crashed meaning I had to reboot and load in the journey again. No other programs were open. Once I got home I discovered on numerous attempts that with TT running it was difficult to open and run other programs without it freezing. Quite simply the 32Mb isn't enough and made the unit unreliable. I was very lucky that the supplier didn't object to my returning the unit but he saw for himself that the rz1710 clearly couldn't deal reliably with the programs. Having got another bite at the cherry I came very close to getting the Mitac Mio 168 which has some excellent reviews however I decide after my last experience that I wanted a PDA which had better connectivity and larger memory.

I was finally persuaded to get the HP iPAQ 2410 and TomTom 3.
Now for the comparison.
If it were Xmas again I'd want both the 1710 & 2410 to be merged. The rz1710 was very light and slim and the TomTom car kit holder was brilliant, just slide the PDA in and it was connected. The 2410 holder is like a giant teddy bear and you have to fiddle with a loose connector everytime. The HP version of TomTom is as you said very easy especially as you don't need CheckPOint and the navigator graphics are definitely a lot better than those in TT3. One feature I did like in the TT HP version was that the road names were shown whilst in navigator view. There is no doubt that the rz1710 is a lovely bit of kit however since speaking to many of the suppliers they all agree that TT is pushing the rz1710 to the limit and they expect a load of returns.

Having now got the 2410 I've installed everything but Checkpoint and that's because it's not very clear if the versions listed on your website are to be used with TT3.
Do I use the Navigator 2 link followed by CheckPOint v3.2 or above which was published on October 10, 2003 for Windows Mobile 2003?
Finally, whilst reading through ChecPOints manual I read something about synchronization features and registering with POIplace. Is this necessary?
No doubt the subject of installing ChecPOint for TT3 has already been thoroughly covered so can you point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Dave B
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the rz1710, I hope that TTNav3 on the 2410 should be better for you.

If you just want to use POIs from this website especially the speed camera databases, which are manually verified for incorrect speeds and positions. Then I’d recommend CheckPOInt 2.02, which is free and can be downloaded from our download page. Thumbs Up

DonBoon wrote:
Finally, whilst reading through ChecPOInt’s manual I read something about synchronization features and registering with POIplace. Is this necessary?

No it’s not necessary if you use CheckPOInt 2.02 with our POIs and our speed camera databases.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get your email - I've been both busy and ill these past few days recently, but I'll be back to you.

I think the hx2410 you now have is a much better machine - more memory, also it has built-in Wi-Fi and a bigger battery. As for the holder, it sounds like you've got a somewhat clunky generic one; I'd expect hx2000 series specific mounts to be available soon. The hx2000 series is very new. The likes of Brodit will be up to speed soon. I use Brodit mounts and am very happy with them.

I expect the next European version of TomTom Navigator for the Pocket PC will be based on the software you had in the HP Navigation Pack you've returned - but hopefully without some of the restrictions of that version at present. If TomTom get this right, I think people will be delighted. If TomTom don't implement the 'missing' features, I think many people will move to alternative products.

Based on Lutz's comparison of TomTom Navigator 3 with the new TomTom Navigator 2004 USA / Canada for the Pocket PC, I'm very disappointed. If this is what we get as the next version of TomTom Navigator for the Pocket PC in Europe, I'll probably switch to alternative software. See here for my comments in the light of Lutz's review.

Robert has already answered your CheckPOInt question. If you're just wanting to use the Pocket GPS World database, I concur with his suggestion to install and use CheckPOInt 2.0.2. There's no need to worry about POIplace.

David
DonBoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Robert and DavidW for your advise and support.
I'm very pleased with the new iPAQ2410 especially as it has a flip cover to give it some protection and its clearly a very versatile device.
I did take Roberts advice and so far the TT3 is working fine although I would like to improve on the advance warning audio for the safety cameras.
One thing that did stand out on the HP Version of TT was the distance countdown and audio warnings for the safety cameras. I look forward to any improvements from TT especially if they're going to be like the HP version but as you said it's always worth looking at what the others have to offer

I hope you've recovered DavidW and look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best

Dave B
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed CheckPOInt to provide audio and visual warnings as you approach a Safety Camera POI?
DonBoon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded and installed Checkpoint 2.02 as advised however I did find two different file sizes. I chose the file recommended by this group at 198kb instead of the 258kb from CheckPOInts own site. I also downloaded the English sound files from CheckPOInt and put them in the folder with checkpoint.exe as instructed.
The whole thing works but the sound files are much too quite and in American English. The TT HP version is much better and indicates a countdown in distance rather than using a bar graph.
WAV files are easy enough to produce so I might try putting in my own voice overs.
What would be interesting though is being able to extract the information which calculates the distance to POI and use this to trigger new voice messages at preset distances instead of the 30 sec & 10 sec as currently defined.
While we're on the subject, in Properties we are given the middle option to set the speed for each overlay but as we know the speed limits vary so do we leave this one blank or do we just select any safe speed

Any answers?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: