Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trying to connect with Nokia phone?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to connect with Nokia phone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_luv_pants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Trying to connect with Nokia phone? Reply with quote

Hi all

I have an Ipaq 2210 and a Nokia 6230. The Nokia is a very reliable phone and will bluetooth with anything.....except my ipaq!!! I get a message that says that it will not connect due to security issues. I have had a look at the ipaq and the nokia and can not find anywhere where I can sort out this "security" issue? Has anyone else had this problem and how did they get round it?

JOHN
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a pretty common problem with the Nokia. As far as I receall their implementation of the BT handshake is flawed.

What you can try on the iPAQ is in the BT settings uncheck the "Authorization" and "encryption" check boxes for the DUN service. Maybe that helps

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mr_luv_pants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that I am a newbie at this ipaq lark!!! Could you please point me in the right direction as to where to find the settings please?

JOHN
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ROM version is on your iPAQ? If it's not the latest, you may have to upgrade for things to work properly. Some Nokia phones use key handling that's incompatible with some older iPAQ Bluetooth stacks.

For the h2210, to get "combination key" support, you need the patch available here. I believe this may depend on the 1.10 ROM in the iPAQ - that can be got from here if it's not already installed.

I would leave the encryption box checked; that's unlikely to be the issue. If you haven't found it, leave well alone and make sure you've got these software updates on your iPAQ.

David
mr_luv_pants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Managed to make it work after I downloaded the patch. Is there any way that I can use the internet via th ephone now? What ISP can I use? Thank you all for all your help!

JOHN
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual thing is to use GPRS Internet access, which is charged by the byte rather than by connect time, and is rather faster than 'dial up' over a mobile phone.

The settings needed depend on which phone network you use, and whether you're a contract or pre-pay user. If you give those details, I may be able to help further.

David
mr_luv_pants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T Mobile and contract. Thanks gain.

JOHN
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this post which gives comprehensive information for a Nokia Bluetooth phone and Vodafone GPRS.

You need to change "internet" to "general.t-mobile.uk" (in the Extra dial string) and you may well want to name the connection "T-Mobile GPRS" rather than "Vodafone GPRS", but that's purely cosmetic.

Let me know how you get on. It's easiest to set up the connection first of all via the Bluetooth Manager, then go through and edit it to look like I've shown in that post.

David
mr_luv_pants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im Impressed. worked first time!! Many thanks.

A couple of things.

Is there any way that I can read my e mails via MSN as there does not seem to be an option for this on messenger?

Also it is costly to run the GPRS? Is there anyway that I can turn the web page displayed 90 degrees as it would fit better in the screen I think.

Finally has the PDA got a facility to dial up a phone number and talk to someone (using the blue tooth phone, if you cant be bothered to go and get it!)

Happy new year to all

JOHN
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you got it going - well done! It's one of the most difficult things to get going on a Pocket PC, but it's so useful having the ability to access the Internet on the move.

Emails have to be set up in the mail application (called Messaging or Inbox depending on Pocket PC version). You may be able to find a guide somewhere online if you Google for:

"Pocket PC" MSN mail

or similar.

MSN Messenger on the Pocket PC is purely IM - and be aware that you need a patch on most Pocket PC 2003 machines to bring it up to date. If you get an error when logging in, the patch is on the Microsoft site. Only the latest WM2003SE operating system definitely does not need a patch.

GPRS is billed by the data transferred, not the time connected - which makes it particularly suitable for something like TomTom Traffic with a little data transferred over a long time.

You'd have to find your particular tariff from T-Mobile. If you want to monitor your usage, I recommend Spb GPRS Monitor - it's not that much money and there is a trial period first.

Landscape screen support only came in properly with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition. There are programs that can turn your screen sideways on earlier versions of Pocket PC, such as the Pocket PC 2003 on your iPAQ, but they're not that successful. If you want to experiment, look at Nyditot Virtual Display.

Bluetooth dialling is built in to Contacts on a Bluetooth iPAQ - tap and hold over the contact for the menu which includes Bluetooth dialling options. Be aware, though, that Nokia phones, in common with most phones, only support one Bluetooth connection at once - so if you have a Bluetooth headset attached, you can't access the phone from the iPAQ to dial.

The same problem affects TomTom Traffic; if you use a Bluetooth hands free solution in car, with most phones you can't have a GPRS connection over Bluetooth at the same time. I get round this with my 6310i by using a wired car kit (which has the advantage of connecting me to my Zafira's factory fit external antenna and charging the phone in car).

I hope that covers everything - though do reply further if you need more help. This has become a valuable thread for anyone wanting to access the Internet from their Pocket PC.

David
mr_luv_pants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would I be able to use the phone and PDA abroad this way or would i need another number? Got to check my ebay whilst in Austria!

JOHN
mr_luv_pants
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bounce!!!!! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: