Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Settings for CheckpointPOI and POIplace
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Settings for CheckpointPOI and POIplace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIONKING
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Settings for CheckpointPOI and POIplace Reply with quote

I have just setup "checkpoint poi" and have downloaded the camera database to my pda.

I have also synchronised with POI Place. This seems to have caused a problem because when i now run tomtom3 i get an error message saying to many POI files - loading aborted.

Is it better to stick with the camera database on pocketgpsworld or is it better to use the camera database on POI place?

Thanks!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Settings for CheckpointPOI and POIplace Reply with quote

LIONKING wrote:
Is it better to stick with the camera database on pocketgpsworld or is it better to use the camera database on POI place?
I use both, although I'm fairly selective about which files I sync with POIplace (eg I don't sync files that have speeds of 80,90 or higher as those can't be valid speed cameras in the UK).

I've also deleted the TomTom supplied POI.DAT giving me more flexbility in downloading small POI files with more useful information in them, but that's something I only considered after using the datasets for a while.
LIONKING
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. What about the error message saying to many POI files - loading aborted? Why am i getting this?

Also, using the camera database available from pocketgps...how do you know what speed warning figure to assign to the various speed cameras?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lionking,

Which version of CheckPOInt are you running? Most people prefer to use version 2.0.2 when using our (PocketGPSWorld) camera databases.

LIONKING wrote:
i get an error message saying to many POI files - loading aborted.

Have you selected all POIs to synchronise? If you have that will cause a problem.

Deselect every POI in the synchronise section. Then try running CheckPOInt and TTNav3. You may find that you have too many POIs for TTNav3 to use. If that is the case move or delete all of the .OV2 and their associated .BMP files from the map folder to another folder.

You can then restart the process the method of synchronising only the POIs that you want, and which your system can handle.

LIONKING wrote:
Is it better to stick with the camera database on PocketGPSWorld or is it better to use the camera database on POI place?

That’s down to personal choice. Some people, e.g. Swing, prefer to use both. I just use the PocketGPSWorld ones. All camera submissions to the PocketGPSWorld camera database are manually checked by Richard (Oldie), who is our Camera Database Administrator. This is to ensure that cameras are located on roads and not in the middle of a field, etc.

LIONKING wrote:
Also, using the camera database available from pocketgps...how do you know what speed warning figure to assign to the various speed cameras?

I wouldn’t assign a speed warning yet. We are asking everybody who uses the database to let Richard know of changes to the database as well as speed limits for each site. Once we have enough sites with a known speed limit then the database will probably be split into speed limits – at that point you can assign different warning.

Please bear in mind that is your responsibility to always know the current speed limit.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIONKING wrote:
Thanks. What about the error message saying to many POI files - loading aborted? Why am i getting this?
I think this has been answered - basically there are too many POI files downloaded - delete most of them, and then increase until you have sufficient.

Quote:
I use the CheckPOInt files as they come defined with speed limits, however, the quality is awful - eg today I found a 60 and 70 speed camera on a stretch of road that's never had speed cameras before (and the road was actually 70mph in both places), and a 60 mph and *5* 50mph for a location that's been in the database for absolutely ages (quite why any of those new cameras were added when the single 50mph that's been in there for ages was sufficient I don't know). As soon as pocketgps moves over to providing speed related files, I'm probably dropping POIplace's files.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: