Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Intermittent sound problems! (Navman 630)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Intermittent sound problems! (Navman 630)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriz1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Intermittent sound problems! (Navman 630) Reply with quote

Hi
I just bought a Navman 630 off some guy on eBay, it didn’t make the reserve but the guy emailed me and accepted my bid.
I sent the money and received the Navman; everything seems to work fine apart from the fact the sound is intermittent!
Most of the time the sound doesn’t work at all, but sometimes it comes on for a bit! It doesn’t sound like the speakers blown when it does come on though.
I know I don’t have a leg to stand on with eBay as I stupidly bought in a private sale off the site. So what I did next was ring Navman tech support, they informed me that as it has previously been registered to the guy I bought it from in August last year and unless he sends it back it will cost me £300 to get it repaired!
I really don’t want to send it back and be left with a £300 bill, and I don’t trust the guy I bought it off to send it now the cheque has cleared. Are there any other places I can take this unit to be repaired? Or anyone got any other suggestions?
Cheers
Chris
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: EBay purchase Reply with quote

I assume that you didn't use PayPal as you mention a cheque being cleared? Paypal covers you upto £500 for Buyer Protection, and EBay covers you up to £105.

Having said that - I would
a) Contact the vendor and explain the problems with the unit
b) Failing that, contact EBay. There are time limits though if you want to invoke the protection on the Ebay site.
chriz1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I didn’t use Ebay though since I bid on the item and I didn’t meet the reserve so I don’t really have a leg to stand on with them. And I didn’t use Paypal ether, I just sent a cheque directly to the guy.
At the end of the day I picked up the Navman fairly cheap so I’m not too bothered if I can get the thing fixed!
However I do object to paying £300 to fix an intermittent speaker! Does anyone know anywhere else I can send/take the unit for repair?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always take the back off yourself. It might just be a poor connection to the speaker.
chriz1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already had a quick look mate, unsoldered the speaker and re-soldered it on just to see if it’s a dry joint. I think its probably a dry joint on a chip though. Since I don’t own a rework station and all the components are surface mount I’m out of luck =/
Monkey_Man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried reloading the software.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen similar problems with speakers before. The fault is sometimes the voice coil. I suggest that you try replacing the speaker with a new one. I don't know what size the one in the iCN is, but you should be able to try it out with any speaker that you know works. You may be able to get navman to send you a new speaker - just don't pay 300 quid for it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: