Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RBT3000 + tomtom 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RBT3000 + tomtom 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: RBT3000 + tomtom 3 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been struggling for a few days to make my RBT3000 work with tomtom3 on my IPaq h4150.
Installing RoyalTek GPS application and their driver alone, RoyalTek works fine.
Then, if I install Tomtom3 (driver + navigator), nothing works, neither RT GPS application nor Tomtom GPS application. Actually, it seems there is a conflict on the com6 port : RT GPS cannot open it, and on Tomtom GPS I cannot even validate the choice of that port.
I vainly tried to update Tomtom driver (->3.07) and in the registry I checked the name of the dll used by port com6 (it is not a tomtom specific one but the plain old BtCeIf.dll).

Now I manage to run RT GPS application if I uninstall tomtom driver, but as a consequence Tomtom doesn't work anymore. And I manage to run Tomtom by uninstalling RoyalTek driver and reinstalling tomtom driver, but as a consequence RT GPS application doesn't work anymore...

Is their a way to make both cohabitate on the same h4150 or should I buy a second one ?

Wink

Thx
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exact same setup RBT3000 + Ipaq 4150 + TomTom 3 and I have the same problem.

Its to do with the TomTom GPS driver/application on the pocket PC. It hogs the bluetooth port even when its not active. I am using TomTom GPS version 3.3.

I belive if you install an older version of TomTom GPS, I think 2.7 or earlier this problem does not exit.

I just don't bother with the blue gps app on the ipaq. I just use the PC application and a bluetooth dongle for configuring the RBT3000 and downloading the data log.
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following my previous post in this thread, I was motivated to find a solution to the TomTom bluetooth issue.

I now appear to have resolved it, at least for Ipaq 4150 / WM2003, RBT300 & TomTom 3.07/3.07T combination anyway.

The install of TomTom GPS does replace the standard bluetooth driver which stops other apps from using the BT port. I beleive, its not that TomTom hogs the port, its that other apps can't use the TomTom driver.

This is the fix that worked for me.

1. Uninstall the Royaltek serial port driver on the ipaq but leave the Royaltek BlueGPS app installed. (The serial port driver is installed by default with the Royaltek software) This is not required to use BlueGPS.

2. Uninstall TomTom GPS. (Just GPS, not navigator)

3. Soft reset

4. Goto:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\Serial6 Note the value for Dll, "BTCEIF.DLL" or similar.

5. Re-install TomTom GPS 3.07

6. Soft reset

7. Go back to:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\Serial6. You will find that the Dll entry has been changed by TomTom. Probably to something like"--BTCEIF.DLL".

8. You need to edit this back to whatever it was before. (TomTom GPS not installed) i.e. "BTCEIF.DLL"

9. Do another soft reset.

10. Set TomTom GPS to SiRF or NMEA Bluetooth and set the COM port to COM6.

Should now be all ok. TomTom working and third party apps can now connect to the COM port. NOT at the same time though!

Hope it helps

Sooty
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all makes sense to me - but there is an easier way rather than direct registry editing. It's also of note that the 6 in Serial6 is dependent on the iPAQ model (and sometimes the ROM version) - the number is the number of your outgoing Bluetooth serial port.

I'd uninstall the special Royaltek driver software if it was installed, then uninstall TomTom GPS - do this via turning off Bluetooth, soft reset, Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap on TomTom ~ GPS and tap Remove. You will probably be asked to tap OK for a soft reset - so do that.

Repeat those instructions until TomTom GPS has gone - you may have to follow them twice.

Install TomTom GPS 3.07, and uninstall it once with the above instructions. If it's still there, you've done the necessary registry edit to restore the standard DLL to the outgoing Bluetooth serial port - unless you had the (by your account unnecessary) Royaltek driver installed at any point - in which case you may need to check with a Registry Editor, or simply go by whether it works or not.

If TomTom GPS has disappeared from the machine after this uninstall, GPS 3.07 isn't hooking into the Bluetooth stack on your Pocket PC (it seems not to hook on machines using the latest Broadcom 1.5.0 Bluetooth stack, such as the latest generation of iPAQs) - in that case, reinstall GPS 3.07 and don't do an uninstall.

I hope that makes sense!

David
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this method in the forums here but it won't work on the 4150, or not on mine at least.

I started with a clean 4150 ROM 1.10 (i.e. hard reset) and then installed TomTom 3.07 and GPS 3.07 and all was fine for TomTom, however no other app could connect to the outgoing BT port. To test this I used visualgps which is just a single exe file no install procedure, so no registry changes.

If you turn off bluetooth and uninstall TomTom ~GPS, it uninstalls on the first attempt.

Upon investigation I found that the Dll entry prior to TomTom install was "BTCEIF.DLL" however after install it had been changed to "--BTCEIF.DLL".

I could not resolve this by just removing the TomTom ~GPS as it was totally uninstalled on the first attempt. The registry entry was restored after uninstall but then no TomTom GPS.

Changing the Dll entry back to its previous state resolved the problem. This procedure may well have an adverse effect with some TomTom / bluetooth combinations but it works for my Ipaq 4150, TomTom 3.07 & RBT3000 combination without side effects.

Sooty
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect, then, that installing the Royaltek driver had made some changes that the TomTom GPS uninstaller / installer couldn't reverse - I did mention that possibility.

If that's the case then, as you say, registry editing is the only way to sort it out. BtCeIf.dll (capitalisation doesn't matter) is the right setting for anything that uses a Broadcom (nee Widcomm) Bluetooth stack in my experience.

David
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears as though the problem exists with my particular setup without anything other than TomTom installed after a hard reset.

Installing Royaltek BlueGPS and driver after TomTom GPS does not change the Dll it remains as "--BTCEIF.DLL". If you then uninstall TomTom GPS it changes it back to "BTCEIF.DLL".

It appears as though the Royaltek installer does not make any changes to the Dll.

One point I failed to mention is that the BlueGPS software won't work on my setup with the Royaltek serial driver installed, irrespective of whether or not TomTom is installed.

Anyway enough weeping on, perhaps "benb" could try some of the above and see if it helps his situation.

Sooty
benb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooty,
I tried your fix and it works fine for my config.
Many thanks!
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benb

Glad it worked out for you.

Sooty
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update on this one.

I have just taken delivery of a new XDA2s with Windows Mobile 2003SE.

Installed TomTom 3.07 Traffic, GPS 3.07 and BlueGPS and all works perfectly well without any registry edits or partial uninstalls etc.

It would appear that the problems with the bluetooth driver are specific to some pocket PC's / ROM's and not just TomTom's 3.07 GPS.

Off to play with the XDA now, hopefully it will make the traffic updates less of a faf.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: