Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - comments/observations on the new Navigator 2004 in the US
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

comments/observations on the new Navigator 2004 in the US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgeCASE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: comments/observations on the new Navigator 2004 in the US Reply with quote

hello all,

navigator 2004 was released in the US and I was qualified to receive the free upgrade.

I am listing what the salient differences that I noticed between tomtom navigator USA and navigator 2004.

pros:
- no more separate connection procedure, TT automatically detects and connects to Bluetooth receiver.
- orientation of the screen can be rotated 90 degrees in all directions. widescreen format fits more pertinent information than portrait.
- the refresh of the map (even in 3D) is very fast and silky smooth.
- navigator 2004 has given me a lot of new better routes to old destinations, maybe due to updated maps. not sure if they changed the routing system.

cons:
- lots of the customization in nav USA is now gone. there is very little customization for displayed info on the moving map.
- changed the menu/button system for the worse
- day/night colors is buried under 3-4 clicks
- to avoid specific highways/motorways, one has to scroll down the route instructions and click, instead of the options popping up as buttons on the screen
- one can no longer block off a section of the map to avoid routing through them. This was really a shame. => work around : create custom POI and use "travel via...." option of alternative route

Also, TT has been freezing during the first few seconds after turning on. Never happens again after resetting and reloading. I dont know if this was due to a big map (a number of states), some quirk in the area that I was in (It happened in another state), or if its a memory leak/problem.

As of now, they've improved some parts and messed up others. The hanging issue is a real problem.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, not so fast ;-) I am still writing my review - a side by side comparison of TTN 3.07 and TTN2004 for the US. Should be ready after the holidays.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
georgeCASE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: oops ! Reply with quote

Laughing hehe, sorry lutz. but I'm happy that you're making the comparison. It's good to have professional opinion on this one. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: