Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 3 Newbie needs help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 3 Newbie needs help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Navigator 3 Newbie needs help Reply with quote

It seems that the TomTom Navigator 3 Bluetooth (with UK maps) package is a good choice, but I'd like to know if anyone recommends a different bluetooth GPS and to go for the maps on their own or even a completely different combination?

I'm interested in car navigation this time around, but I've been using a Garmin eMap handheld for several years and I was wondering if the Navigator software offers similar features like waypoint recording and basic international maps and cities? In other words, can TomTom Navigator 3 do everything my eMap can?

Thanks,

Ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator plays in a completely different league than your Garmin. This is street navigation, not outdoors usage. There are no "waypoints" in street navigation, for example (you will see that the terminology is completely different, too.

What you could do (assuming your Garmin has a serial interface) is to use the Garmin as the GPS receiver for the TomTom program running on a Pocket PC. This way you get both sides of the cake, and can eat it, too... (hmm?!)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
TomTom Navigator plays in a completely different league than your Garmin. This is street navigation, not outdoors usage. There are no "waypoints" in street navigation, for example (you will see that the terminology is completely different, too.

What you could do (assuming your Garmin has a serial interface) is to use the Garmin as the GPS receiver for the TomTom program running on a Pocket PC. This way you get both sides of the cake, and can eat it, too... (hmm?!)

The Garmin eMap will have to go - it needs to help fund a new PDA and Bluetooth GPS Smile

I was wondering though if a) the Navigator software, which is obviously designed for car use, lets you mark your own positions of interest and save tracks for re-navigation on foot, like the eMap and b) if not, whether there was any alternative or additional software that does.

But the TomTom Bluetooth hardware is OK? - curious to know if there is something significantly better (smaller, lighter, better battery life, etc.)? I'm probably going to get a Dell Axim x50v to replace my old iPaq 3950.

Thanks!

Ian
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is software that will give you Garmin like features on a Pocket PC - I presume you're after features like recording waypoints, then navigating back to them.

TomTom Navigator itself will not do this; it's not designed to. It won't even show your position on its own maps without trying to snap it to the nearest road. It's a street navigation program - no more, no less.

As you can see from my signature, I chose to go for a Fortuna Clip On rather than the TomTom Bluetooth GPS when I bought a new GPS last month. I upgraded my system and gave my old system complete to another family member.

Not only do most of the Bluetooth GPS reliability problems reported seem to be with the TomTom hardware (though this could be down to the number of users with this hardware), but the Clip On has switchable standard SiRF firmware and XTrac. Add a user replaceable battery, a comprehensive set of accessories in the box (two cases - one with a belt clip, one without; neck lanyard; stick on magnet mount for car use; car charger; mains charger; screw and screwdriver to secure the battery door), it is a comprehensive package for the price.

David
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
There is software that will give you Garmin like features on a Pocket PC - I presume you're after features like recording waypoints, then navigating back to them.

TomTom Navigator itself will not do this; it's not designed to. It won't even show your position on its own maps without trying to snap it to the nearest road. It's a street navigation program - no more, no less.

As you can see from my signature, I chose to go for a Fortuna Clip On rather than the TomTom Bluetooth GPS when I bought a new GPS last month. I upgraded my system and gave my old system complete to another family member.

Not only do most of the Bluetooth GPS reliability problems reported seem to be with the TomTom hardware (though this could be down to the number of users with this hardware), but the Clip On has switchable standard SiRF firmware and XTrac. Add a user replaceable battery, a comprehensive set of accessories in the box (two cases - one with a belt clip, one without; neck lanyard; stick on magnet mount for car use; car charger; mains charger; screw and screwdriver to secure the battery door), it is a comprehensive package for the price.

David

David, this was just the kind of information I was hoping to find. By all accounts the TomTom Navigator 3 software for Pocket PC is pretty good for in-car needs - presumably I can buy this separately and use it with the Fortuna Clip On? Can you also recommend the more conventional Garmin-like GPS software?

Thanks again,

Ian
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I've got on my current setup - TomTom Navigator 3 software only and a separately bought Fortuna Clip On.

As for the other software, I'm afraid I don't use any - a post in the Beginners' lounge may get some recommendations. Alternatively, head over to Handango and pick up some trial versions.

David
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Dell Axim x50v and Fortuna Clip On arrived this morning (Navigator 3 arrived yesterday) and have been charging all day. After I get the kids off to bed I can have a play! I'll let you know how I get on!

Ian
BORATDI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know if you have your TT3 & Bluetooth working. My X50v will arrive monday and looking to by TT3 + Bluetooth. But the TT websiet does not show support for it.

Thanks

Sean
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom website often lags, for perfectly understandable reasons, behind what actually works. If TomTom officially claim compatibility, they have to be completely sure the combination works and their tech support staff have to be ready to support it.

There's no promise of compatibility with the latest generation of iPAQs, but my experience is that Navigator 3.07 / GPS 3.07 work just fine on an iPAQ hx4700. Indeed, the latest packs, which include an update CD with 3.07 software, have a sticker on the front that says "Now also suiltable for most Pocket PC's using Windows Mobile Second Edition (incl. HP37xx, HP47xx) and HP63xx Pocket PC!"

Even if you get an older pack, there's no problem downloading Navigator 3.07 and GPS 3.07, and installing those onto a WM2003SE machine. Add to that the maps and product code from your pack, and you should be ready to go!

I can't guarantee support with the Dell X50v, but I'd be rather surprised if things did not work.

David
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BORATDI wrote:
I would be interested to know if you have your TT3 & Bluetooth working. My X50v will arrive monday and looking to by TT3 + Bluetooth. But the TT websiet does not show support for it.

Thanks

Sean

I'm pleased to say that I successfully paired up my Fortuna Clip On BT GPS to the x50v and installed the TomTom Navigator 3 software, though that process wasn't quite so smooth as it's a very unintuitive installation process. But after a few false starts, I installed the GPS and Navigator apps and then updated to latest versions (which I think you'll need for the x50v to work) from downloads off the TomTom site and all's working.

I have been finding that if I switch the x50v off, sometimes the BT connection won't recover on power-up again. A soft reset solves this but I'm probably doing something wrong.

Overall, I'm very pleased!

Ian
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd like to thank David very much for his advice on going for the Fortuna/TTN3 combination - incidentally, David - I see you are in Bedfordshire, so I'm not that far away in Hemel Hempstead, Herts!

We're off next week to spend Christmas in a country cottage in deepest Cornwall and I'm sure the SatNav will guide us to our destination well Smile

Seasonal greetings,

Ian
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do enjoy - though, just to be doubly sure, I'd use the system as much as possible before departure just in case it shakes out any issues.

I recently changed most of my hardware in one go - and had problems with Navigator that turned out to be a faulty memory card. I was glad I never had to rely on that faulty card to get me to a destination I didn't know how to reach without my navigation system.

I'd also take along a road atlas just in case - though I must admit I've got out of the habit of carrying one.

I take it from your post that you now have your system, and all works well with the Dell X50v. Turning the Pocket PC off with the software running can cause various problems, as the memory card is not kept powered up with the Pocket PC is off (well, it's more like standby than off) - it really is better to exit Navigator before turning off. Bluetooth issues after switching off with an active Bluetooth connection are quite common too.

You're quite right in saying that I'm not too far from you - I'm in-between M1 Junction 12 and Junction 13.

So far as other software goes, don't forget the variety of topographic products that are available (Memory Map, Anquet and Fugawi), quite apart from software that provides handheld GPS like features such as GPS Tuner and GPSDash. It depends what you want the GPS for. I don't have any experience of these products, but there's people in other Pocket GPS World forums who do who may be able to guide you.

I'm not sure if any of the topographic software supports VGA resolution yet, but topographic maps would be a particularly good application for a VGA Pocket PC.

David
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice, David. We'll certainly be bringing a road atlas! We were in a bit of a rush this morning and I forgot to bring power leads. I had to set the x50v's back-light to be permanently on using a mid-brightness setting and its battery lasted at least two hours (Hemel to south Watford and then on to the M25 and south to the M4 to Wokingham and back again in the evening - around a 100 mile round-trip). The x50v's battery warning came on a mile from home.

It's only been charged twice, so there might be some extra life to come from the battery yet, but it looks like BT and the back-light on continuously means a little over 2 hours life with the x50v standard battery (CPU set to auto), if anyone is interested. The Fortuna Clip On is variously reported to have over 8 hours performance so no issues there.

One problem with the x50v is that the wireless on/off button is on the side and with the x50v placed snugly in my Dual PDA Mount, the side grips press the button enough to switch the radio off, so I'll be attacking the foam rubber with a sharp knife tomorrow Smile

Very pleased with Navigator 3's routing and the display. I've only used a Navman dedicated unit briefly in the past and found that quite tricky to use - I definitely preferred Navigator. My wife was rather sceptical at first but I think she's a convert :D I can see myself having to lend her my set up in the future!

I gather that the software is tied to the one PDA it's installed on? What happens if your PDA needs replacing? Or is it tied to the GPS unit? Same question again I suppose.

I'd like to get the bundled trial of the traffic alert software up and running before we go, though that looks like being quite a challenge. Mind you, I've successfully achieved x50v GPRS Internet access on my phone (a Sendo X) viia Bluetooth, so who knows?

I'm definitely interested in another GPS application for walking so I'll be researching those too. I'm also lucky in that my job takes me abroad a lot, so an application with a half-decent world base map with major roads ands cities would be good. Not sure I could be bothered with scanning in maps though!

Cheers,

Ian
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The licence for TomTom Navigator restricts it to one Pocket PC linked to one navigation system. However, you can uninstall from one machine and then activate using the same product code on another device. For example, I moved my copy of Navigator 3 from my old iPAQ h3970 to my new iPAQ hx4700. I've since bought a new copy of Navigator 3 for the iPAQ h3970 as another family member has taken that machine over as a navigation system.

To try to force people to stay within the licence agreement, you can't use a TomTom product code to activate a second device for 7 days after you first use it to activate a device. After the code has been used on two devices, you have to wait 180 days after activating a new device before you can activate another new device.

You can reactivate a device already activated using that product code at any time.

If you have a device replaced or repaired such that you need a new activation before you have one available, TomTom will help if you can provide proof of the repair or replacement. The same is true if you have a device change because one is stolen - but again they'll need proof such as insurance or police paperwork.

The battery life for your X50v sounds short to me - but I'm used to devices with longer battery life. My iPAQ hx4700 lasts around four hours with a moderate backlight setting and the Wi-Fi radio on - there again, it has a much bigger battery than the X50v.

I'm fortunate that I've got power wired in to my dashboard - I've got a Brodit active mount for the hx4700 and a car charger for my Clip On wired permanently into my carphone loom. I just have to drop the GPS onto its magnet, connect the power lead and switch on, then put the Pocket PC in its mount, switch on and start TomTom Navigator.

TomTom Traffic is easy to get going - if you have got GPRS Internet access from Pocket Internet Explorer, you're most of the way there already. You will have to uninstall the version of Navigator you have installed and replace it with the one with Traffic support, but that's not difficult. Do make sure it's GPRS you've set up, not a dial-up connection to an ISP. If you want to monitor your GPRS usage, I suggest Spb's GPRS Monitor - that's one of the essential utilities on my Pocket PC along with Spb Pocket Plus and Fitaly.

I liked Traffic enough to subscribe - and if you like your free trial, I suggest subscribing soon whilst the special offer is still on (I think you can still get a year's Traffic for any one country for 29 rather than 49 Euros).

David
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x50v only has a 1100mAH slimline batter as standard. If it proves to be too feeble, I'll go for the 2200mAH option, which comes with a new battery cover to accommodate its thicker size.

I ran the Clip On battery down today and I estimate I got roughly 6 hours from it in total. But I will run both it and the x50v from the cigarette lighter while in the car from now on.

The licensing restrictions for TTN3 seem reasonable to me.

The Traffic Alert option looks very tempting for just 29 Euros - I'll check it out.

I was thinking - I have Garmin maps for my old eMap GPS - can these be used by an PPC software (getting a bit off-topic - sorry!).

Thanks again!

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: