Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom3 - Pocket PC Install Problems, Newbie in need of help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom3 - Pocket PC Install Problems, Newbie in need of help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: TomTom3 - Pocket PC Install Problems, Newbie in need of help Reply with quote

Hello and please can someone help with this problem, I have tried everyone I know and others trying to solve this problem.

I have an XDA 2, running pocket pc.
Have TomTom3 Software, (2 discs)

When I install the first disc into my pc it installs onto the XDA 2 fine. When you click the icon it says no maps available.

Therefore i try to install the second disc (which when opened to explore) holds the maps.

When putting this into my PC the pop up box appears saying this is not compatible software and setup will now end.

I then tried cutting the disc contents and pasting to the pocket pc, either memory or sd card, this goes on for ages and then says not enough memory space. However it is a 512 card and I have been told it does not need this much to install.

As part of the install TomTom GPS goes on there and that works, it registers my speed and tracks me on the lines of longitute and latitude.

Please help I am nearing tearing my hair out I just am not sure what to do.

The active sync all works fine but I just cant get the thing to work.
Please help

Thanks!!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, easy...

The PC program will allow you to install TTN onto the Pocket PC, to select voices, and to copy maps either to the Pocket PC directly or - more recommended - to a memory card reader attached to your PC. NOTHING gets installed to the PC (ok, nearly nothing - the program CAB file gets buffered)

Simply put the first CD in again, and follow the menu to make sure you install everything
- TTN + GPS (looks like you did that)
- Voice files (you can test this in the properties screen but only after a map is installed)
- one or more maps (it may ask you to change CDs)

You cannot copy stuff directly from the CD to the Pocket PC - you need the installer program to unpack it for you.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like one of the very latest Navigator 3 packages - I opened one today.

There's an update CD, which contains Navigator 3.07 and GPS 3.07, as well as the original Navigator 3 CD with the maps. The instructions on the back of the update CD tell you to install the software from the update CD if you have a WM2003SE machine, then switch to the first CD to install the maps.

As an aside, GPS 3.07 works perfectly on my iPAQ hx4700 without having to do any patching or registry editing of the Bluetooth stack. The hx4700 also has the neat 'default serial' feature mentioned in Lutz' iPAQ 63xx review - I got a Fortuna Clip On in the same package, which works really nicely with the hx4700.

Back to this install problem. The CD with the maps should auto-run when you put it into your PC - and give you the option to install the maps. You certainly don't cut and paste anything to your Pocket PC from it. If it doesn't auto-run, simply run setup.exe in the root directory of the CD.

David
jwl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for your help.

Tried the setup.exe route and it doesnt work so im guessing I maybe have a faulty second disc, I have been told to try and find a file called mapfinder.
But i cant see this on either disc does anyone know if it should be there?
Or am I chasing false dawns and the disc is faulty.

When trying the setup.exe route the same error message about this computer not recognising the files comes up.

Sorry but any furthur help?

Thanks again

James
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad CD is a possibility. There's no mapfinder file on the CD - you run the setup.exe and the map installer launches from the menus.

I'd contact your retailer if you've tried the disc in all the CD and DVD-ROM drives you have.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: