Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - JORNADA 568/NAVMAN GPS 1000/SMARTPATH
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

JORNADA 568/NAVMAN GPS 1000/SMARTPATH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: JORNADA 568/NAVMAN GPS 1000/SMARTPATH Reply with quote

I use the navman gps 1000 receiver and smartpath trip and city software with my jornada 568. It's all working but the software is a bit dated - particularly no POI's , Speed camera database , voice etc.

I don't want to change the PDA or receiver and so firstly are there any upgrades for the smartpath or am I looking at new software - if so will any software (eg TomTom Navigator 3 , Navamn SmartST etc ) work straight off with my current hardware ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jornada 568 is an old machine, but it is a Pocket PC 2002 machine with 64MB of memory, which doesn't cause anything like the same problems as finding software compatible with the older Pocket PC 2000 machines (especially if the Pocket PC 2000 machine doesn't use an ARM processor; Pocket PC 2002 and onwards are ARM only).

Unless I'm misremembering, Smartpath is a rebadged version of TomTom RoutePlanner and Citymaps. This software is pretty ancient and really isn't being updated any more. The nearest replacement is TomTom Navigator 3.

Navigator 3 is explicitly listed as compatible with the Jornada 568 on the TomTom site here.

However, you're going to have a problem with memory. The Jornada 568 has just one card slot - and in your setup, it's in use with the CompactFlash Navman GPS 1000. That means you're limited as to what maps you'll get in RAM. Even if there's nothing else on the machine, you'll probably struggle to get a 32MB section in - the full Navigator 3 Great Britain map is 95MB. The smallest 16MB sectional maps don't have particularly good geographic coverage.

One option may be to buy the Navigator 3 pack with a wired GPS, and use that instead of the GPS 1000. Your GPS performance would probably be better if you did this; the GPS 1000 was never particularly great. You could then use a CompactFlash memory card (which are pretty cheap in 128 or 256MB sizes). From memory, the GPS 1000 has compatibility problems with modern machines, so you're likely to have to replace it should you decide to opt for a more modern PDA.

If you don't want to go that way, you're probably looking at a more radical update to get a modern system. I'm not entirely familiar with the new 'bottom end' machines, but there are some fine machines for less than 250 pounds (including the somewhat old but still good iPAQ h2210). I do appreciate, though, that once you get to changing the PDA, you're really getting towards an entirely new setup - new GPS (unless the GPS 1000 happens to work in a Pocket PC 2003 machine like the h2210), new memory card, new car mount and in-car powering solution, new software.

I hope this helps.

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

It's what I was expecting really......that said the Jornada is a fine PDA for all the other functions ( had some less great experiences with Ipaq's for work related stuff).

I do have a re-rad antennae so reception on the GPS 1000 is fine. I don't store many maps on the PDA - I tend to load/delete maps via a laptop when I need them. That said would this be viable with individual maps ( eg UK, France etc) on say the TomTom Navigator 3 ?If so then I guess my best option woul be to just get the new software for now.

I am also looking at the Navman SmartST as I may get more support given I have one of their receivers - it's a shame they don't do a discounted offer for existing Smartpath owners.......
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-read your post and noted the memory problems....
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying TomTom Navigator 3 with a TomTom wired GPS and a more than adequate 256MB CompactFlash card is likely to cost you, off the top of my head, somewhere around 80 pounds more than just the Navigator 3 software alone.

If you're otherwise happy with the Jornada, I see no reason to change it - and you can always put the GPS 1000 either in the For Sale / Wanted forum here or on eBay to offset some of the extra cost. 80 pounds is very much less than any other upgrade alternative.

I'm not one of these snobby people who believes in having to have the latest and greatest. What matters is what's right for you without unnecessary expenditure.

I just upgraded myself to the iPAQ hx4700 because there were good reasons for wanting a VGA screen and a lighter device (the former because of the ways I'm using my Pocket PC, the latter because my disabilities are worsening and I was struggling with the weight of my old setup).

However, my old iPAQ h3970 based setup lives on - it's currently on loan to another family member with my GPS, and I may well finish up getting her to order her own GPS and copy of TomTom Navigator 3.

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I've found a TomTom Nav 3 wired gps bundle which can be used with my jornada on easydevices for £150.

Probably a tricky question but any ideas how much my GPS 1000 with all the Smartpath software and re-radiating antennae might fetch? I have original packaging etc and funnily enough the receiver is virtually brand new as Naman recently replaced my old one ( free of charge and it was about 2 years old ) and expansys replaced the antennae recently.

I think with the easydevice bundle if I change my PDA in the future then all the hardware will work and I would only need to get a different connecting cable.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real idea on the value of the GPS 1000, I'm afraid - all I can suggest is putting it on eBay with a low starting price and the best description you can.

You're quite right that if you went for a TomTom Navigator 3 / TomTom wired GPS bundle, you'd just have to replace the cable (for around 20 pounds) if you changed to a different Pocket PC.

Don't forget to include the cost of a CompactFlash card. 256MB won't cost you much, and is more than ample for use in the UK. It sounds like you may slightly undershoot my estimated 80 pounds premium for a wired GPS and memory card over the cost of Navigator 3 software only. Do check, though, that the bundle includes the PDA cable and that it's not a separate item.

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - on a slightly different , but related question -one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade was to use the speed camera database / POI's.

I note that the Smartpath software has ' overlays' -is there anyway to use this option to upload the Speed Camera Database and/or POI's ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are, I believe, tools around to convert the Navigator .ov2 format to the .ovr format used by CityMaps (which is what SmartPath is, in essence). It looks as if my fellow moderator Oldie's POIConverter may do the job - see here for a download link.

However, you won't get any camera warnings or similar. I think you'll find Navigator 3 a huge improvement over the older software.

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to throw my PDA away !

ThePOIEdit page lists Smartpath so I've downloaded the software and updated all the uk camera files using the PDA+ logo. I 've opened my pocket pc drive and dragged across the files into file on the PDA which holds the overlays suppiled with the Smartpath . The original files and the files I've dragged across both appear to be in .ovr format.

In Smartpath Trip / file and double clicking new overlay I can specify a document from my PDA to use - so I specify one of the camera files ( say the Gatso one) as type:overlay file , click ok then nothing appears on the map.

I'm probably being a bit thick .......?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a battery pack for 568 that will take an mmc or sd card and it will run tomtom 2 and should run tt3 just make sure you disable the the show pois if you using tt on it the mmc battery pack is hard to get hold of as the jornada has been disontinued but last i heard vodaphone live shops were the official resellers for jornada bits pls i also have a 548 but havent try putting any thing on that Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I'll do a bit of searching.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: