Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - brodit active charger - I'm being a bit thick
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

brodit active charger - I'm being a bit thick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: brodit active charger - I'm being a bit thick Reply with quote

I thought I had it sussed now I'm starting to question myself.

I want to buy a Brodit holder which I can use with my Ipaq. I want it to charge the Ipaq with the hard wired cable and to have the speaker built in.I want the installation to be as neat as possible once I also get a wired gps receiver ( I've thought about bluetooth but would prefer not to have to recharge batteries and I found I've had lots of problems with bluetooth devices eg mobile phones and PDA's !)

I also want to be able to connect and charge a wired GPS receiver to the holder. I am not sure which one yet but I guess that doesn't matter at this stage as all I need to do is get a GPS receiver for the correct Ipaq ?

Now , assuming there is a lead from the holder which connects to the car power supply , does the cradle power the GPS receiver ? Or do I have to power the GPS receiver which then powers the cradle - if so what happens to the cradles power lead ???

If I decide against a hard wire but instead choose the Brodit cradle with the 12v cigarette lead ( but still with speaker / GPS connection) again does the cradle power the GPS. I have also read that its beneficial to keep the receiver powered so it is always ready so how can this be done unless the 12 v lead is kept connected ?

I have checked out the Brodit site and spoke to the guy at Handnav but to be honest I'm still confused.

Yes I know I'm being thick but it's been a long day..... Question
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any Brodit cradles that supply power for a Bluetooth GPS or similar; there again, I've not used one with a built in speaker either. I find the speaker in the iPAQ h3970 (which I believe you now have) is more than loud enough not to need any amplification.

My setup is hard wired - but uses the straightforward cigarette lighter version. I added a cigarette lighter socket to my carphone wiring loom, and plugged in the cigarette lighter plug of my Brodit active mount - burying the whole lot behind the glovebox in my Zafira.

If I want power for a Bluetooth GPS, I'll add another cigarette lighter socket plug, and bury suitable power supply for the GPS behind my glovebox.

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David - I have looked againat the car powered GPS section and it seems that they all tend to use a cigarette adaptor - I was hoping once I hard wired the cradle I could avoid using the cigareete lighter socket.

So really if I do use a wired GPS which has a lead which powers the PDA cradle and receiver form the cigarette lighter then there is no reason to hard wire the PDA cradle - in fact the cradle doesn't need a power lead supplied with it ?

If I did hard wire the cradle I guess I would still need to plug in the receiver to the cigarette socket and also the PDA cradle connector - would this be aproblem if the cradle was hard wired ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use a wired GPS, I'd use one of the Brodit products that replicates the iPAQ's 22 pin socket on the bottom of the mount.

Get a cigarette lighter socket wired up behind your dash and plug the cigarette lighter plug of the GPS wiring into it - then bring the cable through a suitable opening and plug the 22 pin plug into the Brodit mount. Route the GPS wiring neatly and Robert should be your mother's brother.

David
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha !

Just out of interest what does the PS-2 cable do here http://www.brodit.com/?l=1
pezzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry wrong link......but still wondering what the PS-2 ,rxand tx lead does then I'm going to speak to Robert's mother's brother.....
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "PS/2" option appears to have a 6 pin mini-DIN socket with wiring for serial and 5V power. I presume this is designed for a GPS such as a Haicom - but would want to check the pin-out carefully before plugging in a GPS!

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: