Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS position unreliable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS position unreliable
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: GPS position unreliable Reply with quote

I have recently purchased an Ipaq 3715 and decided to try out GPS Navigation. To this end I bought TonTom Navigator bundled with Haicom GPS receiver (wired). Installation was fine but I only get a "GPS position unreliable" message when connected. I have gone through the (limited) manual help but to no avail. I would really appreciate it if any one could tell what I am doing wrong or help me put it right

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you confirmed that the wired receiver actually works with the 3715? The newer Pocket PCs mostly lack a serial port, and yu need a special USB>Serial converter to run them with a wired receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info but I am not sure this helps. My GPS receiver has a PS/2 connection that then plugs into a supplied lead which fits into my 3715. If I had a USB>serial lead where would I plug it into? (or am I missing something) bearing in mind I want to use this in the car. Would I be better off with a Bluetooth receiver?

Thanks again
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only offer a basic suggestion.

Have you tapped the GPS icon - and made sure the serial 1 is ticked in the box ?

Took me a couple of hours to work that out when first setting up.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this site
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11959_div/11959_div.HTML

the 3715 should have a standard serial port, and it is at COM1. The correct setting should be NMEA 4800 on COM1. Please retry.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must think I am thick (I probably am) but could you please tell me how to set the 3715 to NMEA 4800 on COM1. I have a small disk labelled Haicom GPS that came with the TomTom software but when placed in the drive it just opens into explore mode. I have worked out myself that there needs to be some sort of communication with the receiver to set it up but am lost as to how to go about it. I am not totally computer illiterate but this has me stumped. Your continued help and patience is appreciated.

Thanks again
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can safely ignore that disk.

On your Pocket PC, go to Start > Settings > System > GPS > GPS

In the top box select NMEA 4800, in the bottom box select COM1. Then check the checkbox, go back to the first tab and see if the black dots are wandering.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have set my GPS as suggested to the nearest I have on the 3715 ie NMEA 0183v2 4800 in the top box & Serial Cable on Com1: but this still makes no difference, no black dots I am afraid. I have tried putting the receiver outside on the car roof as well as inside but still nothing

Thanks
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Haicom GPS receiver itself have any LEDs on it ?

Anything lights to show its alive when plugged in? Just trying to determine whether it is receiving power from the car cigarette/power socket.
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is a flashing red LED which according to the manual indicates "searching for a signal"
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvm - if it is this model then perhaps it doesn't have any LED's of its own, and relies solely on the software side to detect whether it has a fix or not.

Hmm - I suspect you are close to getting it set-up but just can't get to that final step of all-systems-go.

My final basic suggestion would be to try adjust the plug in your car's lighter/power socket. One of my wired gps units will only work when positioned a certain way in the socket.

Thats about the extent of my technical capacity and that's why I come here for more advanced teachings. Good luck.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this pete open tomtotm navigator then got gps at the bottom of screen are 3 buttons these are
STATUS,GPS and LOG

Tap the GPS one at this point make sure the the check box at the top left of the screen in unchecked tap the top box from the drop down list select HIACOM GPS the bottom box should go to serial cable 1.

just under this you will see a small picture of a pocket pc if it has zzzz on the screen in the picutre then move the slide away from it then check the box go back to the status screen and you should see some dots going from the satellite icon to the pocket pc icon if not the go to settings > connections and then select ir uncheck the box also from the task manager make sure the calender isnt running in the back ground as tomtom doesnt seem to like this running at the same time

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - our posts crossed over - just seen your reply above.

Ok so you know you have power to your GPS unit which is a good thing. Smile

Theres not much more I can suggest, but hope that some of the more knowledgable ppl here can help you more.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Haicom GPS unit itself has LEDs for "searching for fix" & another display for when "fix acquired" - then you should be able to determine whether the unit itself is operational by this display alone - without your PDA attached.

When I park my car on the drive directly outside my house, often there is difficulty getting a fix. Just those few metres are a rare blackspot in my coverage which is usually excellent everywhere.

You could try moving you car to a slightly different position to see whether your GPS unit can get a fix.
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip I will try and move the car. I have olny the one LED, flashing whilst searching and steady when signal found. Perhaps I should have gone for a better receiver?

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: