Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OV2 files stop Tom Tom Running
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OV2 files stop Tom Tom Running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mramessa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: OV2 files stop Tom Tom Running Reply with quote

I have been using Tom Tom with POI Place / Checkpoint for speed camera detection and it has been really excellent. I was extremly impressed with the synq database updating all uk cameras and the mobile / roadworks cameras inputted by fellow users.I bought the wired Tom Tom Version 3 and use it with my Compaq 3850.

However last week Tom Tom would not open and it came up with too mant POI's.

Looking at the POI Place web site in the FAQ section it explains how to remove the OV2 files to stop the problem. I removed all the ov2 files and it fixed the problem. I noticed on the synq settings on POI Place I had ticked all car garages by mistake and this is what had caused the problem.

I then synqed to POI Place with just a few speed cameras selected, all were installed on to the storage card fine and then the problems really started.

I have found that if I delete all my OV2 files Tom Tom works fine. However if I load more than 3 OV2 files , Tom Tom just does not open. Checkpoint does however work at all times. Not running checkpoint makes no difference with the Tom Tom opening problem.

Thus with 3 speed cameras selected (40, 50 & 60) it all works great, they appear on the map and the voice warnings work but if I put any others on I cant use Tom Tom. I previously had about 30 POI's selected ie all cameras and resturants etc and it all worked very well.

I have also tried reinstalling POI Place again to no effect, my sd card has 30mb free so there is not a storage problem, Tom Tom support says they cant advise as it is a 3rd party installation.

If any one can help I would be very gratefull as I have spent probably 15 to 20 hours messing with all the settings, reinstalling and synquing and no joy. I am now depressed and I need of some expert advice or I will have to hit the Valium!

Thanks in advance

Mark sob sob
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a known issue and has to deal with the amount of POI's loaded (not only ov2 files but POI's within these) and the amount of Program Memory available.

Try tweaking your memory settings.
mramessa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave

Memory card has 40.8 MB

Regarding the Main memory has 63 MB free and moving the slider in settings from storage to program makes no effect.

I am a little confused regarding what you mean about POI and OV2's.

If I have deleted the OV2 files from the GB Maps directory on the memory card are there more POI's elsewhere which I can delete?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be extremely surprised if you had 63mb free in Program Memory as there's only 64mb and around 4-5mb will be used up by the OS. You should have the slider about mid way and there will be a program member free on the left and storage free figure on the right.
mramessa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, The total memory is 63MB, sorry.

Storage has 19.96MB free

Program has 19.64MB Free

I can adjust these with the slider but have the same problem.

Can other OV2 files be stored somewhere on the PDA bringing the total close to the maximum? Or are there other files which are not OV2's which cause the same problem?

I was wondering if I removed tom tom from my PDA and reinstalled it if it might repair things, however with the exception of POI numbers it works fine. Also I read on the site that there is a limit to the number of times you can do this (2) and then it is a 6 month wait.

I am getting to a point to sell the PDA on ebay and buy a new one so I can start from fresh, but surely there must be a solution. Confused

If its easier you can call me on 0788 447 1985 to have a chat or I can call you, I am not a stalker! ........ yet!! :P

regards

Mark
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19mb should be more than ample. Unfortunately it's one of those things. Adding each OV2 file back one at a time may show a corrupted OV2 or just one with too many records and it may be that one that's causing the problem.

What I would do is remove all OV2 and BMP files, go into TTN, uncheck all POI's.

Then add eah POI and BMP in one at a time and enable it and see. You may just have far too many POI groups selected in TomTom or it could be a corrupted POI file.

TomTom will only pick up OV2 and BMP files from the country directory.

Selling your PDA won't do any good as you'll have the same problem on another one, and even more of a problem because you are only allowed so many activations with TomTom.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's a .bmp file issue.

In my case, found that the Tesco.bmp prevented TT3 from loading.

Try opening the bitmap files and saving them again as 256 colour bitmaps.

This worked for me.
mramessa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to fix the problem by copying all ov2 and bit files onto PC and then slowly copying them back to the maps file on the storage card. The sections cameras caused the problem so I have just left them all off.

Thanks for all involved for your help

Regards

Mark :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: