Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Defining itineraries in CoPilot5 - what's it like?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Defining itineraries in CoPilot5 - what's it like?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianhb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Defining itineraries in CoPilot5 - what's it like? Reply with quote

I am looking for a GPS that I can use to guide me along a pre-defined route; for touring purposes. I see that CP5 can set waypoints to guide its navigation - my question is: how easy is this to do?

How does one define the waypoints on the PDA? is it tap the map? can one drag the line of a route to the roads you want to use?

Is it possible to define routes on a PC and upload (download?) them to the PDA? Is this easier than using the PDA application?

Can such defined routes be saved? Shared with others?

How many waypoints can be set? How many routes can be defined?

Is it possible to set a route with the same place as start and finish ?

If you stray off route does CP5 recalculate to the next waypoint or to the final destination ?

Sorry for so many questions, please answer as few or as many as you are able Smile

Many thanks,

Ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please, no duplicate posts. Especially not of the cut and paste type. Sad

The itinerary mode is decribed in the review. Please read that first.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ianhb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept that the wording of my post is the same as another one, but the context is different. I am trying to find out about the usefulness of this feature in a number of packages, as it is important to me and my potential use of a GPS.

I read Dave Burrow's review and "One of the best features that CoPilot has always had is multiple stops. This means you can create an itinerary, (or multiple routes), and either have CoPilot choose the optimum route between them, or you can order the stops yourself and choose which one to stop at first." interested me but did not answer the usability questions that I have.

If there is another review that specifically covers the setting up of itineraries, then please point me to it Smile

Most reviews don't touch on how the user can plot their own route and focus more on the s/ware's own routing capabilities. This is only fair, I realise that I am in a very small minority in wanting to (mis)use the s/ware in this way Smile

Thanks,

Ian
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Defining itineraries in CoPilot5 - what's it like? Reply with quote

ianhb wrote:
1. How does one define the waypoints on the PDA? is it tap the map? can one drag the line of a route to the roads you want to use?

2. Is it possible to define routes on a PC and upload (download?) them to the PDA? Is this easier than using the PDA application?

3. Can such defined routes be saved? Shared with others?

4. How many waypoints can be set? How many routes can be defined?

5. Is it possible to set a route with the same place as start and finish ?

6. If you stray off route does CP5 recalculate to the next waypoint or to the final destination ?

1. Not sure about the PDA, but on the smartphone version you can input multiple stops and it will create a route between them. On the PC you can also enter multiple waypoints and canl sort them into the best order so that you travel the minimum distance.

2. Yes, you can. It is easier on the PC because you get a better view of the map for complex and/or long routes

3. I am pretty sure they can.

4. I don't know, but I think the number is quite high.

5. Yes

6. To the next waypoint.

CoPilot has some serious bugs though, read the thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11977&highlight=bugs before you consider spending your money on this software.
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to add to skippy's reply ...
1.. First tap is final destination (it assumes current location is starting point). You can tap any place else to add waypoints and then rearrange the waypoints in any order. You cannot drag a line.

2. PC is my preferred entry method ... good map .. easy to enter.

3. Sure, save the file (yes you can share). Reuse when necessary. I transfer the route to a CF card via a card reader.

4. As far as I can tell, the number of points or routes is only limited by amount of memory.

5. Yes ... or you can tell the program that it is a round trip.

6. Next waypoint unless you choose to delete it, in which case it will take you to the following waypoint.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot is the ONLY program on the market that allows you to define waypoints (can drive by) and stopovers (must drive by). Waypoints are optional direction pointers, stopovers must be reached directly .
Both can be canceled while en route.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ianhb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CoPilot is the ONLY program on the market that allows you to define waypoints (can drive by) and stopovers (must drive by)

What is the significant difference between 'can' and 'must', the distinction is lost on me. Confused

TomTom3 can define a route using points along the way, am I guilty of mis-using the term 'waypoint'.

Confused,

Ian[/quote]
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A waypoint is something that you can use to approximate your route. It does not need to be "touched" directly, it's enough to drive by in a (definable) small distance. If you miss the waypoint the system will navigate you to the next one.

A stopover is a point that you have to reach, to stop there, and to continue your journey from there. If you miss it the system will navigate you back to it.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ianhb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a general definition applied to all GPS, or just CoPilot specific?

You said that only Co-Pilot has both, do others have waypoints or stopovers?

This is interesting and relevant to me. Do you actually HAVE to stop??

Thanks,
Ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an older thread on that topic

http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=27182

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: