Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Roads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Roads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: New Roads Reply with quote

I'm a new TomTom3 user so perhaps my question isn't relevant.

Close to where I live are a couple of roads which didn't exist very long ago. TomTom3 seems to know about them when I drive along them as the location arrow follows the road, but these roads are shown in black (if I remember correctly - it's a dark colour anyway).

I'm wondering whether these are either not yet properly defined in the TomTom database, or perhaps of too low a classification to be used by TomTom?

If the former, is there a procedure for advising the folks at TomTom to add these routes to their database? Or to make my TomTom system recognise that it can route thru those roads?

Andrew
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roads were not completed when TomTom compiled the map. Since they are now open you can certainly report them to TeleAtlas (those are the guys that survey the maps for TomTom). See my signature.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information. Unfortunately I don't understand what it expected by the "start" and "end" coordinates or the following WGS (?) coordinates.

Andrew
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell them the Latitude/Longitude, that's enough

WGS means World Geodetic System.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Just tell them the Latitude/Longitude, that's enough

WGS means World Geodetic System.

Why can't they put it In plain English so everyone can report errors, it put's people off reporting errors when they see some complicated forms to fill in.

I'll bet HandyMac isn't the ONLY user put off by the complicated form.
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that's the case. I've got the road and coordinates from streetmap.co.uk, but it didn't give me a clue whether the numbers I was quoting for the x and y directions (given in the URL for streetmap when you click on a point on the map and the map changes) were the right ones for entering into the web page - so I gave up.

I'll try again shortly.

Andrew
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just submitted a couple of feedback requests to Tele Atlas but I'm unclear as to whether I've entered the correct information because that feedback page is really confusing!

The feedback page asks about the start and end destinations. I'm not offay with geographical coordinates so I may well have entered the wrong information.

What I did was find the end of the road on streetmap.co.uk, then clicked on the link at the bottom of the page marked "Click here to convert coordinates". That took me to another page:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert?name=489128,168972&type=OSGrid

I entered the end destination requested on the feedback page as 489128,168972 - without being clear as to whether this was right or wrong (I entered 489447,169395 as the start destination).

To make life even more difficult Tele Atlas request the WGS84 coordinates. Only problem is that the coordinates shown on the streetmap web page (above) are N51:24:46 ( 51.412755 ) and W0:43:11 ( -0.719790 ). This is a completely different format to what Tele Atlas allow, so I can't enter the WGS information requested because I simply don't know how to convert the numbers I have to the numbers required!

Whilst I greatly appreciate having a means of feeding back to Tele Atlas updates which are required to the mapping system it's a shame that it seems so horribly complex - it makes an assumption that you already know about geographical mapping systems, and most probably most people who might provide Tele Atlas with useful feedback don't.

Even a simple help page explaining the terms on this page might have been helpful.

Apologies if this sounds like a rant - it isn't intended to be and I'm hoping that it might be useful feedback about the feedback system Smile

Andrew
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing about this Tele Atlas system.

When you've submitted feedback it provides you with a reference number. You can do an online check of the current status of the feedback, but it depends upon you remembering this number.

I had hoped that it would send the feedback request to me with the reference number via email, but it apparently doesn't.

And if you haven't written the number down there doesn't appear to be any way of following up.

Andrew
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HandyMac

Agree that the TeleAtlas site could be more user friendly, especially as you're spending your time helping them improve their product at no cost!

If it's any comfort, I submitted a correction 6 months ago - a clear cut case of the map showing a roundabout where there hasn't been one for years - but its status ever since has just remained at "under analysis". I'm not exactly confident that it'll be fixed in time for TomTom 4 (or 5 or 6... Laughing )

The 489128,168972 that you quote are the OSGB36 (Ordnance Survey Great Britain 1936) National Grid position in full Easting and Northing format, i.e. the distance in metres East and North of the National Grid origin which is at a point in the sea south west of Cornwall.

The N51:24:46 ( 51.412755 ) and W0:43:11 ( -0.719790 ) are the same position expressed in WGS84 (World Geodetic System/Survey? 1984) latitude and longitude format, which is of course the usual format for most GPS receivers. The first format is degrees, minutes and seconds; and the second format is decimal degrees; both indicate the same position if you do the maths. A third format you may also come across is degrees and decimal minutes.

The TeleAtlas website wants the decimal degrees format, but shows a comma rather than a full stop as the decimal point, so you'd put 51 in the box before the comma and 412755 in the box after it, etc.

Hope this helps
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. I probably put the coordinates back to front. It would be so much simpler if they provided a web page where everything was easy to understand.

And it's obviously useful to have a decimal point expressed as a comma. I don't think.

This web page has surely got to be up for a Darwin web award! ;)

Andrew
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a comma as the decimal point is of course the norm in most of Europe and some other countries.

Barry
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Using a comma as the decimal point is of course the norm in most of Europe and some other countries.

Well it's about time they changed then! ;)

I am of course joking. I suspect that the web page in question is trying to be too helpful with these numbers by providing two boxes separated by a comma (decimal point). It would be much less confusing to provid a single box, and in the submission script change any dots to commas automatically.

Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: