Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to TT3 - Need some help with charger and speaker volume
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to TT3 - Need some help with charger and speaker volume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbrumpton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: New to TT3 - Need some help with charger and speaker volume Reply with quote

i've got a couple of questions someone might be able to hep with. My car is a RDH Mondeo (2001 new style).

The cig lighter socket is next to the handbrake and the supplied cable is too short to reach where I want the PDA/TT3 (to the right of the steering wheel).Is it possible to buy a cable that can be hard wired (ie without using the cig lighter socket) or has anyone got a Mondeo and added another cig lighter socket or hard wired PDA?

The other problem is the PDA volume is too low. Is there such a thing as a connector to a speaker/amplifier or something small I can plug into the PDA to boost the volume or can it be connected to the ford radio/cd I have (its a ford 6000E )

Any help appreciated
Richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily extend the power cable with a cigarette lighter power extension lead, most auto accessory shops e.g. Halfords stock them. You could use the same to har wire by chopping the endo off the extension and wiring to a suitable ignition controlled 12v supply (add a fuse for safety) but whatever you do DO NOT chop off the cigarette lighter plug on the charge lead, this contains the circuitry that reduces 12v to the 5v required by your PPC!

As for sound, there are many options, if you check the accessories review section you will find the Qubit PDA Amplifier which can route sound through your HiFi, alternatively Sedio do a powered cradel with built-in amplifier and Brodit have just released a cradle with speakers built-in for some iPAQ's (you don't say which PDA you own).
rbrumpton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You could use the same to har wire by chopping the endo off the extension and wiring to a suitable ignition controlled 12v supply (add a fuse for safety) but whatever you do DO NOT chop off the cigarette lighter plug on the charge lead, this contains the circuitry that reduces 12v to the 5v required by your PPC!

Thanks for that. I'll not cut up my lead! I'll see if I can get an extension cable and wire it to the connections on my current cig lighter and run the cables to somewhere near where I want the PDA (Dell Axim x30!). Any idea what size fuse I should use?

I'll also look at the audio stuff you mentioned too.

thanks
Richard
footman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be a solution to the sound problem

the Arkon SF 250Soundfeeder on the expansys uk site

HTH

Laurence
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbrumpton wrote:
Thanks for that. I'll not cut up my lead! I'll see if I can get an extension cable and wire it to the connections on my current cig lighter and run the cables to somewhere near where I want the PDA (Dell Axim x30!). Any idea what size fuse I should use?

I would think a 5a would be fine but just use the same as is in the charge lead.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: