Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USB Receiver advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Receiver advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyMM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: USB Receiver advice please Reply with quote

Having a few problems with my ICN630 crashing especially in Paris. As I always have a laptop and Autoroute 2004 I wanted to buy a USB receiver so in the event of major problem with the Navman I can plug the USB receiver in to the laptop and find out where I am.

I do not need routing, voice command etc the Navman gives me all that when it works. All I am after is a cheap (Sub 150GBP) USB receiver that is preferably small and USB powered (I already have 4 leads to the cigar lighter :-) that I can use as an emergency backup.

Any advice appreciated, I have seen some articles that say the Royaltek Sapphire is fine and that it works with AR 2004 but other articles seen rather vague.

Cheers Andy
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll recommend the Fortuna U2, and it works with autoroute

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=U2-USBGPS

Don't let the price put you off, it works brilliantly, and magnetic.
AndyMM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic, I have just ordered one. Thanks for that (Low prices never put me off :-)

Andy
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know how you get on with this (delivery time length, ease of use etc). Like you, I would appreciate a back-up incase I have problems with my PPC GPS.

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no PC or GPS expert, but i got this to work practicaly out of the box. I went onto the Fortuna web site,

http://www.fortuna.com.tw/download.htm

and downloaded the update driver for XP, loaded drivers, plugged in U2 and configured it to work in Autoroute, which found it straight away.

There was my little car exactly where i was parked outside my home. The location sensor was in the corner with co-ordinates, altitude, etc.

Delivery was spot on, they had it in stock when i ordered, and it was delivered next day.

I've also used it with "Infomap Navigator" which has voice directions, and it never faultered. Although it was a bit more akward to configure, and i remembered to press the GPS tab which is a small icon to go into receive mode.

Hope this helps.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: USB Receiver advice please Reply with quote

AndyMM wrote:
Any advice appreciated, I have seen some articles that say the Royaltek Sapphire is fine and that it works with AR 2004 but other articles seen rather vague.

Cheers Andy

Bought the Royaltek Sapphire just over a year ago cost £90.00, USB so plugs straight into my laptop. Also got a 12v to 240 volt converter for £30.00, bought them both at the Beaulieu 4X4 show. The converter allows the laptop to be used for extended periods far beyond what its battery will give you. Also handy for charging other units that you have a mains lead for but no 12 volt lead.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: