Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Use of T3 and bluetooth GPS for frequent car and mobile use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of T3 and bluetooth GPS for frequent car and mobile use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wobbly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Use of T3 and bluetooth GPS for frequent car and mobile use Reply with quote

I use my T3 in the car with a bluetooth TomTom GPS unit. When I switch the T3 off or take it out of its mount eg when I'm going out and about (and don't want to leave my setup in fill view, I notice that when I return to the car, I can't get a GPS fix (even though the BT GPS has been left on). I've tried various options, but it seems that the only one to work is stopping the BT connection and then restarting it using the BT manager in PalmOS.

This is a bit of a pain as it slows down GPS fix times. Also am concerned (although it hasn't happened yet) about losing the connection mid-journey and then having to stop the car to stop and re-initiate the BT on my T3.

Suggestions?

W.
Wobbly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: T3 BT problems - think I've solved myself... Reply with quote

Mates with iPaqs had reported to me some time ago that they had to switch off their PDA before the BT device, not the other way round - otherwise they had to soft reset.

I think the problem I have found with the Palm is similar.

I have re-configured the Voice Memo button to load 'Applications' so that it is easier to quit TTN3 (rather than having to tap on the titchy home icon, which as most interaction with TTN3 is by fingertip is pretty fiddly).

This means that when I finish my journey, I press the Voice Memo button, then get out the car / whatever. Then when I get back in, I press this again, followed by the TTN3 icon and if I've left the TT GPS switched on in my car, the fix comes straight up, otherwise its a few seconds - but at least none of this messing around with disconnecting and re-connecting the BT connection or soft resetting etc.

In effect I suppose I'm manually disengaging an active BT connection (ie one where data is being actively transferred) so that when a 'new' BT connection is re-established (with the same device), the comms are not confused / can restart OK. So perhaps quite like the iPaq situation - ie its a BT issue - hopefully one that can be corrected in a future version...?

W.
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many tx for this tip - I shall definitely try it out as I've had exactly the same problem and have had to keep soft resetting.
TT support say that it must be the T3's fault, although I've not seen any similar issues with the T3's BT connection to my mobile. Has anyone reported it to Palm?

I also noticed after upgrading TT to 4.12 (I don't think it did it before) that Navigator now beeps a few times when connecting to the GPS receiver, so I'm guessing that it might have something to do with indicating connection progress.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: