Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie. TTN5, Com ports and Bluetooth.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie. TTN5, Com ports and Bluetooth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Newbie. TTN5, Com ports and Bluetooth. Reply with quote

Hi, guys

I've just got an MDA Vario (read Imate K-Jam, Wizard or a host of other names).

I've installed TTN5 OK. I've bought a bluetooth GPS receiver from this site and that seems to be working.

But can I get TomTom to see the darned thing? Nope.

In the bluetooth settings on my PDA/phone, the device can detect the GPS receiver and calls it BT GPS. It gives me the option of assigning it to a serial port or Com 6 or 7.

WHen I fire up TomTom it says no GPS device found. I go into the settings to configure it and I select 'other bluetooth receiver'. It then asks me if the device is connected by Com0, Com2, Com3, Com9, infrared or serial port.

I've tried selecting serial port both with the PDA and the GPS, but still no connection.

I've only had this device a couple of weeks and I'm still trying to get used to it. In the bluetooth settings there are three tabs:

Mode: turn bluetooth off and on
Devices: Shows detected devices and you can check or uncheck serial port
COM Ports: Here I can select new outgoing or incoming port. I don't know what to do with this. If I select new incoming port It says do I want COM6 or COM7.

As you can tell. I'm getting very lost here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sounds illogical but it works for me and most other users. In Tom Tom set up receiver don't choose "other bluetooth". Instead choose Other NMEA wired device. Choose a serial comms port (from memory mine was about 7) hit done, then choose a baud rate (4800 or 9600 seems to work) and away you go. This is how Tom Tom describe how to do it on their website and it works. From memory they even have on their website the comms port number you should use for different PDAs.
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my PDA H3970 I was originally told to use COM8 and this worked fine with TT3 but not "to date" with TT5 but I will try this "wired" trick in place of the "wireless" that would appear to be logical - will post result but of course could still be different for your MDA Vario
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O Oh my god, it worked.

So TomTom how is that you supply me with a GPS Reciever with TT2 and I upgrade to TT3 and that same GPS receiver works with that but when I get to upgrade to TT5 ooooooh no not his time mate! This time your TomTom GPS reciver will not connect using the TomTom wireless GPS picture or the Other wireless GPS reciver but taa daaaaa the "Other wired NMEA device" is what it connects with...riiiiiiiiiight of course and how obvious is that being that the device I have is wireless but that I need to set it to wired.

TomTom we need to talk! Evil or Very Mad

Off topic: But I recently bought my other half a new car and managed to get Smart Nav chucked in with the deal.

Note to self - Upon buying next car for self get Smart Nav chucked in and this will result in less stress as although I like the TomTom and have used it, NavMan and SmartNav and still think that I like TomTom life is tooo short Smart Nav in my humble opinion is the way to go....roll on next car purchase and E-Bay for the TomTom and PDA me thinks!
tubbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't believe it. this simple fix worked for me as well.
cheers peterc10.
i have to agree with fangio18, that tomtom make life as difficult for their customers as possible.
thanks to everyone here, as it has taken a month to get to this happy place
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like I have "most" of my issues sorted so thanks to everyone here who helped.
Alwoody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going nuts trying to get my bluetooth gps to connect, then I found this post.
A big thank you.

But not to TomTom, use a wired port my ****

Cheers
Alwoody
SmartAss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnes,

I don't think the previous replies to your post will help on the Vario as it runs WM5. TomTom have released a patch for WM5 that works on the Vario - I know because I needed it and my Vario now runs TTN5 with my BT GPS receiver beautufully.

Here's my reply to another post about getting TTN5 to see a BT GPS unit on the Vario:

I have recently bought an MDA Vario and tried installing my copy of TTN5.
The software went on OK but wouldn't link to the BT GPS receiver using the old "Other Wired NMEA Device" and selecting the BT Port.

Since throwing in the towel and purchasing a legal (!) copy, I am up and running. The following may help if your copy is legit. If not, try anyway...

In Comm Manager, BT Settings, create a new Device partnership with your BT receiver. Create both Incoming and Outgoing COM ports.

Launch TTN5 and go into the GPS configuration.
Specify "Other Bluetooth GPS". You will now either get a message saying to pair your device and no further configuration options or, like me, you will be able to specify the COM port you set up in Comm Manager. Once I did that, all worked fine....

If you don't get the option to specify a COM port under "Other Bluetooth GPS" then you need update 5.21 from TomTom (http://www.tomtom.com/updates/navupd521.exe) which you can only install if you have a valid, legitimate copy of TTN5.

I didn't. Have now. Upgrade from 2 to 5 cost me 48 quid...

Hope that helps in some small way....

"An honest day's pay for an honest day's work...."

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: