Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie from US visiting UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie from US visiting UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardStern
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Newbie from US visiting UK Reply with quote

I am about three weeks away from a summer vacation in the UK, driving around the Lake District and Wales. Am sufficiently intimidated by having to convert to driving on the left, and my family are absolutely awful with maps, so I really need GPS guidance while I'm there. But feel I would also want to be able to use it in the US when I return home.

I need suggestions on what would be the most appropriate and cost effective system to get. Here's my wish list:

- Prefer it to work on a Pocket PC, Ipaq 3700 series

- Must provide some memory or allow addition of CF or other add-in memory.

- To work in car -- probably need power supply for auto outlet.

- Want maps and "turn by turn" directions, possibly voice annunciated.

- Want to have maps available for US and UK. Willing to purchase add-on for one or the other if approporiate.

- May be "stand alone" if PPC is not available

- Must be readiliy available from US supplier, though mail-order is OK if a URL can be provided.

Thanks

Rick
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Newbie from US visiting UK Reply with quote

If the various products are released in time, and the European Maps add-on works with the US version of the software, it sounds like TomTom Navigator 2 USA (with the cabled GPS) and the TomTom European maps will do what you want. The TomTom Navigator full pack includes a cabled GPS (you need to order the TomTom cable for your 3700 series iPAQ) and a car mount. The whole lot is powered from a cigarette lighter socket.

For memory - if you haven't already got a suitable expansion pack, get one (if you can track one down, the original CompactFlash expansion pack with no battery will do fine) and get a CompactFlash memory card. I'd go for at least 256MB. SD memory is not an option on the 3700 series.

Before purchase, it may be worth checking with TomTom that the European maps will work on a USA version of TomTom Navigator. If so, you're in a more advantageous position than those who have bought the European maps as an add-on to a European version of TomTom Navigator. At the moment, it looks as if it won't be possible to buy the US maps without a copy of the software, also these people had to pay for a second copy of the country maps their TomTom Navigator software came with.

David
finni71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Newbie from US visiting UK Reply with quote

My situation is quite the opposite of yours, I am visiting GA, FL, CA, CT & NY later this month.

Lake District is fab, enjoy your vacation.

(1). Try www.TomTom.com
(2). Registered
(3). Once registered, you post question (reply usually within 2 hours during the daytime. To post a question click 'Support', then 'My Questions' on the left hand side of the screen. Good luck.

Andrew
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought CoPilot 5 would the ideal choice seeing as the PDA can hold US and European maps at the same time?
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opposite problem last month. I currently use TomTom in the UK but needed something for visiting the US.

In the end I bought a trial version of Destinator 3 as it was the cheapest (£16 inc delivery to the UK). It wasn't as good as TT but it got us where we needed to go (including finding a B&B off a dirt track near Monument Valley!).

I bought it here: http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=366

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: