Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traktori
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO New Software release Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I have just had confirmation from TomTom that the new version of TomTom GO software (and I assume the Palm Software as well) will be released on ...

Hello and greetings from Finland!

Any news about the Palm Software update? Is it goung to be released along the GO version? I'm using TomTom for Palm BT here in Finland and am interested also about custom POI's.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO New Software release Reply with quote

traktori wrote:
MikeB wrote:
I have just had confirmation from TomTom that the new version of TomTom GO software (and I assume the Palm Software as well) will be released on ...

Hello and greetings from Finland!

Any news about the Palm Software update? Is it goung to be released along the GO version? I'm using TomTom for Palm BT here in Finland and am interested also about custom POI's.

Sorry,

everything's gone quiet on that subject.

Pity i can't help, seeing as it's your first posting.

How is Finland?? very wet here in UK.
traktori
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry,

everything's gone quiet on that subject.

Pity i can't help, seeing as it's your first posting.

How is Finland?? very wet here in UK.

Thanks for reply!

It really seems we have to wait before Dave or anybody else in knowledge says anything.

Its been mostly very wet also here Finland but the SW-Finland I live in had pretty days also. And the most interesting part is the Lapland had the most hot and sunny summer for a hundred years or so. There were at least 15 days when temperature went over 25C in July. It was the warmest place in Finland!
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO New Software release Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I have just had confirmation from TomTom that the new version of TomTom GO software (and I assume the Palm Software as well) will be released on August 12th.

Well it's now over 2 weeks since this confirmation, and still no sign of it.

I always thought confirmation meant "confirmation noun * An act of confirming officially: affirmation, approval, ratification"

Good job then, when i booked a flight to Sydney Australia, that they confirmed it existed.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO New Software release Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
MikeB wrote:
I have just had confirmation from TomTom that the new version of TomTom GO software (and I assume the Palm Software as well) will be released on August 12th.

I always thought confirmation meant "confirmation noun * An act of confirming officially: affirmation, approval, ratification"

Good job then, when i booked a flight to Sydney Australia, that they confirmed it existed.

well I seem to work for a transportation company and I do hapen to know that even if you have boked your flight, it doesn't necessarily mean you are going.

for Tomtom's release stuff -- better wait and have fixed bugs than a rushed out release. you don't want a second "Microsoft" released product....

I can wait. I'd rather have it now, no yesterday, but the thing works, does what it's supposed to so wait a few days more....
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now come on delboy you know we have to be patient, and we are not supposed to question anything that is holier than thou.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO New Software release Reply with quote

imapbox wrote:
delboy0754 wrote:
MikeB wrote:

well I seem to work for a transportation company and I do hapen to know that even if you have boked your flight, it doesn't necessarily mean you are going.

Oh i'm going, it's paid for and confirmed, Qantas, Business Class, with shuttle flight from Manchester to London Heathrow.

I was just wondering why TomTom haven't even mentioned it. letting customers know what changes are on it, and what bugs have been fixed, etc.

Plus it keeps this post alive, it seemed to have gone quiet.
dodgydodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's open a book on it ..

I'm going for next Friday. 3rd Sept.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: tomtom no upfront fix info Reply with quote

the problem with all kind of software is that if you announce a feature and a date, you have created your own time constraints that likely will fail.

it's best to wit until it's done. if people ask tomtom, you will get the answer on the question when it's finished -- "well when it's finished".

also, if you have a POI feature added and other features as well, like a qwerty interfaced keyboard layout and one of the two fails, it might be interesting to rtelease the software without one or two features, depending on what the other fixes or features are.

it's complex. just like the mentioned 'confirmed flights'. I can assure you that even when people have confirmed you will go at a certain time, with a flight, there always will be a risk of an engine that fails. high EGT, a flock of birds, engine with slow acceleration. a pack that all over sudden fails, or even a complete failure of pax entertainment due to a failed main multiplexer. the problem is that even when you think you will go, it's not certain. and for aircraft, I know that the certainty is not 100%. even if I wanted to.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom no upfront fix info Reply with quote

imapbox wrote:

it's complex. just like the mentioned 'confirmed flights'. I can assure you that even when people have confirmed you will go at a certain time, with a flight, there always will be a risk of an engine that fails. high EGT, a flock of birds, engine with slow acceleration. a pack that all over sudden fails, or even a complete failure of pax entertainment due to a failed main multiplexer. the problem is that even when you think you will go, it's not certain. and for aircraft, I know that the certainty is not 100%. even if I wanted to.

Who do you work for

EASYJET

or are you just a Pessimist.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom no upfront fix info Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:
imapbox wrote:

Who do you work for

EASYJET

not easyjet. I cannot openly disclose the name but as an avionics engineer I just happen to know that such things happen, on a dayly basis.

as a sidenote, I test software for ZyXEL and I _do_ know that such things happen. we all may not like it but this is fact of life.

if there are too many variables, you can't keep your promises, that's all.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who do you work for

EASYJET

Software and aviation:

Best to go slowly and get it right, than rush in and get it wrong.

And why do easyJet get such a bad name? I fly eJ 4 to 6 times a day and in the last year have only seen one cancellation - and all the pax were put up in a 5 star hotel and flown for free on a special flight the next morning. You don't get that when you choose a certain Dublin based outfit...
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what has all this got to do with the subject of this thread, perhaps you need to join an easyjet forum.
Nobber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Anyone know what time the next easyjet flight out of Luton is?

Nobber
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: NOTE TO EVERYONE SUBSCRIBED TO THIS MESSAGE THREAD Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who have PM'd and sent emails in regarding this message thread, I can only apologise on behalf of the selfless few that have ruined this topic by discussing totally off-topic information.

These forums are for discussing GPS related information, not Easy Jet, Qantas or any other airline for that matter!

This thread has now been closed and will be re-opened when TomTom release the latest version of the software. Meanwhile anyone wanting to see it first hand can join us at the Stratford Manor Hotel this Saturday (4th Sept 2004) for a glimpse of what's to come as we still have official clarification from TomTom Management to display the latest version!

Again, I can only apologise for the few that have spoiled this topic. If you are subscribed to this thread you will receive an email when we re-open this thread and post about TomTom GO's latest version.

TOPIC CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: