Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 4.40 New Software has been released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chim450 wrote:
Why does Tom Tom Go now require a valid GPS signal before it can plan a route??? Before upgrading to the latest software version I was definitely able to plan routes without having a sattelite signal. This is really annoying as I often used to plan routes indoors before going out. Sad

previous versions also had this "problem".

I probably will have some inside contacts and see if they have an answer to this soon.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chim450 wrote:
Why does Tom Tom Go now require a valid GPS signal before it can plan a route??? Before upgrading to the latest software version I was definitely able to plan routes without having a sattelite signal. This is really annoying as I often used to plan routes indoors before going out. Sad

This is exactly what it is designed to do, I cannot remember what the previous version did, but it would be wrong to route you from your current position if your current position is not known.

You can use the Plan from A to B option (second screen of the options) to do what you are requesting though.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: new features..... why not a survey ? Reply with quote

for the TTGO, it might be interesting to have a little survey started to
try and see if tomtom is willing to implement some changes.

I thought of a few things like :

o) qwerty keyboard addition
o) NMEA output on the USB port
o) breadcrumb-trail on display
o) altitude data
o) min/avg/max speeds
o) compass function while driving

the avg speed would be handy with traject-speed checks we have in the netherlands. define start and endpoint and show the speeds so that you won't go too fast. connected with some sound or so if approaching speedlimits. this would be a nice safety addition.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Netherlands lacking behind somewhere, we have a system here, and have had for years, it really is a simple thing to make sure you dont go too fast it's called a speedometer and if that fails as a back up you just take your foot off the pedal on the right, i think that is called an accelerator.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
Are the Netherlands lacking behind somewhere, we have a system here, and have had for years, it really is a simple thing to make sure you dont go too fast it's called a speedometer and if that fails as a back up you just take your foot off the pedal on the right, i think that is called an accelerator.

it's a well known problem with speedometers that their accuracy is not exactly 100%. also, the tire size/wear happens to change the accuracy.

so to reply to your question, no, "the Netherlands isn't lacking behind somewhere".
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: GPL code available. Reply with quote

something different:

http://www.tomtom.com/gpl

has all the code and patches the tomtom go is based on.

tomtom was very willing to provide this kind of information.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know the frailities of modern day speedometers. What the relevance of wheel size etc as far as your original point is i just dont know, what is it exactly that TomTom should make for you, some sort of program that knows what size your tyres and wheels are to stop you speeding?. Perhaps TomTom should concentrate firstly on getting the Go right re; routing problems and mapping problems etc before looking at such trivial things.
More important, how accurate could TomTom make a device like a speed limiter or whatever you want to call it, and if it wasn't accurate to the extent that a user received a speeding fine whilst relying on it would that make TomTom legally responsible?.
In theory it might seem a good idea but in practice i cant see this happening.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
We all know the frailities of modern day speedometers. What the relevance of wheel size etc as far as your original point is i just dont know, what is it exactly that TomTom should make for you, some sort of program that knows what size your tyres and wheels are to stop you speeding?. Perhaps TomTom should concentrate firstly on getting the Go right re; routing problems and mapping problems etc before looking at such trivial things.
More important, how accurate could TomTom make a device like a speed limiter or whatever you want to call it, and if it wasn't accurate to the extent that a user received a speeding fine whilst relying on it would that make TomTom legally responsible?.

the wheel size and wear will also have a negative effect on the accuracy of the speedometers.

the TTGO doesn't need to know _anything_ about my car; it inly needs to show a few extra speeds that simply can be calculated from the already known values: speed and time.

I don't need a device to limit speeds. I only want to be sure that I don't go beyond the limits of the law.

regarding 'relying on it' it might be interesting to know that the speed the TTGO reports is a very accurate speed in the sense that if you get a fine and on the papare it says 128 km/hr, the TTGO will report that as well.

I didn't see your comments when the POIs about speedcams were released.

it's fine if you don't like my ideas, really. however, adding such trivial things might not be interesting for you but it might for others.

given the fact that other products do have this capalility and the fact that adding this to the TTGO is trivial as well, I don't see why they couldn't add it.

regarding the routing errors and topocard errors, I assume you have reported several issues to teleatlas already and you have spoken to you r representative about it.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:

the wheel size and wear will also have a negative effect on the accuracy of the speedometers.

the TTGO doesn't need to know _anything_ about my car; it inly needs to show a few extra speeds that simply can be calculated from the already known values: speed and time.

I don't need a device to limit speeds. I only want to be sure that I don't go beyond the limits of the law.

regarding 'relying on it' it might be interesting to know that the speed the TTGO reports is a very accurate speed in the sense that if you get a fine and on the papare it says 128 km/hr, the TTGO will report that as well.

I didn't see your comments when the POIs about speedcams were released.

it's fine if you don't like my ideas, really. however, adding such trivial things might not be interesting for you but it might for others.

given the fact that other products do have this capalility and the fact that adding this to the TTGO is trivial as well, I don't see why they couldn't add it.

regarding the routing errors and topocard errors, I assume you have reported several issues to teleatlas already and you have spoken to you r representative about it.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imapbox, firstly i am not against speeding i do it, we all do it. I just feel that there are more fundamental issues to be done by TomTom before looking at this.
The "speed" camera database was researched and put together by this site not TomTom, TomTom put together the ability to use customisable poi's which in my view IS a fundamental issue.
I respect your opinion no problem if thats what you would like then fine.
As for reporting issues with maps then yes i have, so have a million others what do we get an automated crap reply in Double Dutch excuse the pun, it's ok for me, having worked in Holland for 8years my Dutch is still reasonable although a bit rusty. However looking at the infastructure of TomTom it seems they are rushing things out and worrying about the fallout later. In truth although GO is good there are a lot of major issues with it aside from the mapping which in fairness isn't solely down to them.
TopCaTT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="imapbox"]
chim450 wrote:

There is a work around. Set your Home address. Go to Browse Map and position the cursor on a destination address. This will be automatically be saved as a recent destination. Then go to Plan A to B. It willl ask you if you want to depart from Home. Touch Yes. It will then bring up the last recent destination which is the one you touched on the Map and will calculate a route.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GPL code available. Reply with quote

imapbox wrote:
something different:

has all the code and patches the tomtom go is based on.

tomtom was very willing to provide this kind of information.

and for the people who still think there is no accelerometer mounted in the ttgo -- the CTO not only admitted this; the code as mentioned above can be inspected to see the programming/queriying of the accelerometer.

I love open source.
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: TTG v 4.42? Reply with quote

Hello; first post from me on here, but i've been lurking for a while having bought a TTG in the past 2 months (very happy with it, too.). Looking at the Tomtom website this morning it would appear that version 4.40 of the TTG has now changed name to version 4.42. It is still listed as the Sep 2004 update. What's the difference between 4.40? A previous post in another thread referred to the appearance of new Win 98 drivers since 4.40; is this what 4.42 is?

Cheers, Jamie.
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just seen the thread "New update", which seems to answer the above query.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: the new update.... Reply with quote

and some more information -- the TTGO GPL place:

holds all files to compile arm-linux yourself including an example that
reads "hello world example" and when you touch the screen, you can draw a picture.

see:

http://www.linux-it.nl/ttgo-one.jpg
http://www.linux-it.nl/ttgo-two.jpg

if you rename the original ttsystem file and put the compiled version you've got it. note that the drawing is in an endless loop so you have to reset the device.

the ttsystem file is available on:

http://grobbebol.xs4all.nl/ttsystem

(cross compiled on a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop, running SuSE 9.1)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: