Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Interesting/odd behaviour when using new backup microSD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting/odd behaviour when using new backup microSD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Interesting/odd behaviour when using new backup microSD card Reply with quote

I bought a 512MB microSD card to backup my data for the i3 (which came with a 256MB card in it).

I copied all the data files to my HD then back to the 512MB card. When I put the new card in the i3, it just displayed a screen saying to use the PC to load data from my CDROM.

Anyway, the trick was to turn the i3 off, then back on. This caused it to display a green progress bar in front of the i3 splash screen for a short while, then to start up as normal - all data intact. Seems it had to process or load something before it would accept the new card.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you have the full map detail available on the new 512MB card? or is it just displaying the base map (less detail). It could be the map is stored internal to the unit, in this case you should have full mapping available with the memory card not even installed.
It is not possible to copy and use the TransFlash media card. Mike
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Are you saying you have the full map detail available on the new 512MB card? or is it just displaying the base map (less detail). It could be the map is stored internal to the unit, in this case you should have full mapping available with the memory card not even installed.

When no memory card is installed, I cannot use the unit at all, after the splash screen, it just displays a screen asking me to insert a microSD card.

When I put in the card the I just created by copying the files to it, it happily starts normally, AND displays full detail down to my local suburban streets.

So when you say "It is not possible to copy and use the TransFlash media card. " I am not sure what you mean, as that is what I just did, and it appears to work.
ffrr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffrr wrote:
mikealder wrote:

When no memory card is installed, I cannot use the unit at all, after the splash screen, it just displays a screen asking me to insert a microSD card.

When I put in the card the I just created by copying the files to it, it happily starts normally, AND displays full detail down to my local suburban streets.

So when you say "It is not possible to copy and use the TransFlash media card. " I am not sure what you mean, as that is what I just did, and it appears to work.

Just wanted to add that I was told the full Australian maps take up 140MB or so, and there is file (with extension .img) on the disk that is about that size. So I believe the maps are all on the card.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else tried this yet?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: