Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How many POI categories?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How many POI categories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
essooil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: How many POI categories? Reply with quote

Hi, I've been a member here for years - great site, but I have never subscribed to the speed camera database which is what this post is about

A friend of mine has just subscribed to the POIBase speed camera database (a competitor) but he says there are so many different categories it is almost unusable. There are 20 different POI icons for red light cameras, 20 different icons for mobile cameras, 20 for fixed cams etc. Apparently the fixed camera icons just look like speed limit signs and don't even look like speed camera icons.

My Audi has the ability to warn me about POIs that are in the vicinity which means I can get notifications on my dashboard about speed cameras. However, but you can only do this with 10 POIs.

So, my question is, if I subscribe to the Pocket GPS World speed camera database how many different speed camera categories are there?

I am hoping there are 10 or less. For example..

mobile speed cameras
Fixed speed cameras
red light cameras etc

I don't really need to know no the road speed for a red light camera, I just need to know there is a red light camera ahead.

I would also like to assign different icons to each category so I can have a red light camera icon and then a different icon for mobile cameras and fixed Gatso etc.

It would be great if someone could let me know how many categories I will get if I subscribe and if I can assign my own icons to them.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 main categories to choose from :

Consolidated by type or Speed zoned.

For my Garmin I download the speed zoned so I get a different alert for each speed and type. If you take the main categories and speeds that is :

Fixed (Gatso)
Specs (Average speed)
Redlight
Mobile
pMobile (unverified locations and an optional download)

Each of those are sub divided into 20 to 70.

However, if you go for consolidated by type then they are all lumped into the main categories.

As the car advert says - you do the maths.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
essooil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Consolidated sounds good Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Consolidated sounds good. When I had a TomTom I preferred to have all of the individual speeds shown separately so I could have individual voice warnings saying "warning Gatso speed limit 70 miles an hour" or "warning red light camera 30 zone".

QUESTION: Can anyone confirm if these would be downloaded as 5 separate files so I could use my app to assign a custom icon to each category before I upload them to my Audi as "special destinations" which is what Audi likes to call them (Audi don't use the phrase "points of interest" for some strange reason).

My Audi can only be warn me about 10 POIs so I just need them to be consolidated as you have already mentioned below..

Fixed (Gatso)
Specs (Average speed)
Redlight
Mobile
pMobile (unverified locations and an optional download)

I know some people say just use a TomTom as well but I have to say the points of interest look really impressive on my virtual dash in my Audi and they also appear on the MMI screen that comes out of the dashboard. I also have a Snooper that keeps me right also.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The download is a single zip that extracts to the individual files.

And forget TT, they no longer accept third party databases.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: