Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - operate my device no longer works with tomtom home 950 live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

operate my device no longer works with tomtom home 950 live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: operate my device no longer works with tomtom home 950 live Reply with quote

Just recently I do what I always do and connect my 950 live to tomtom home and click "operate my device" but now it says "This function is not yet supported for your combination of navigation device, your device's application version and your computer's operating system."
I contacted tomtom and they say my device is too old! WHAT?
It is not on their list of obsolete devices as I pointed out to them but they wouldn't listen. This happened after tomtom home decided to do an update. It worked perfectly well before this so I asked them can I have the previous version so I can install it but no!
also I now cannot connect to my live services even though I have 3 more months to run. After speaking to them and giving them the 950's ime number they say I have to do a reset and wanted me to do it there and then! Not likely! as it will lose many of my poi's etc. Also they couldn't guarantee that it would work anyway.
Any ideas anyone?
Derrick
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derrick,

Long time since I used my 950 but I hope the following helps.

Are your POIs saved .ov2 files or as favourites?

If .ov2 files, try just connecting your 950 to your computer so that the 950 is an external drive and you should find your .ov2 POIs In the appropriate map folder(s). Copy the.ov2 and .bmp files to your computer.

If your POIs are favourites then I think there is a file in the map folder called mapsettings.cfg which should contain the POIs, although I can’t remember how to extract the POIs from the mapsettings.cfg file.

If nothing else, a backup of your mapsettings.cfg is useful especially if you reset your 950 unit.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
arfurdent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar thing happened to my 750 live a few months ago. The live traffic just stopped working and the operate device function stopped. TT were not interested even though I had nine months of live traffic left.

Just another Nav2 device off their books.
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info regarding copying those files privateer. I was going to copy the file system so I get everything. I wonder if i do that and do a reset can i copy everything back in one go or would it lose the reset that i did and putting it all back to what it was before the reset? Hmm.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derrick,

It's probably a good idea to copy everything from your 950 to your computer (or external hard drive) and if you're using a micro SD card (for maps) then copy that as well. Once you've got full backups of your system including the .ov2, .bmp, and mapsettings.cfg files then you should be in a more comfortable situation.

Try a reset and see what happens. If everything is OK then you're laughing otherwise you may need to restore (i.e. copy back) the mapsettings.cfg file.

In a worst-case scenario, you may need to use your full backup to restore your 950.

Unfortunately, the 950 is a very old PND. You might want to look through some of PGPSWs old threads about rebooting and resetting and trying the drumroll rest along with other tricks and tips.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
hoolahoops
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly (or not!) the live services on my 950 also stopped working around 3 months ago (with 3 months traffic subscription left). I've not bothered to try and sort it out but I did have it connected to my computer a month or so ago and had no problems using the "operate my device" functionality.

I don't have any intentions of renewing my traffic subscription. I'm using google maps on my phone which has been good enough recently even if the text on the screen is a little too small compared to the 950.

TT Go 950 Live. Fixed Brodit mount
Motorola Moto 4G
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't now the time to look into changing stuff in order to prevent these obligatory updates for Nav 2 devices? I vaguely remember reading something about how to alter some settings to stop updates - changing some numbers on the files identifying which version of software you're using and the same with the version of Home?

I never took much note of it because my Nav 2 GO520 is so ailing that I'm not sure it will survive to my final map update in May. But with something so good as the 950, I'd want to keep it going at current status and avoid any more "upgrades" from TomTom. There was certainly a tip on how to alter a definition in Home and reset the version back to one which worked properly and to alter the version number to stop updates.
hoolahoops wrote:
the live services on my 950 also stopped working around 3 months ago
Wasn't September the month bandied about by TT for ending support of Nav 2 devices? Would have been a good opportunity to quietly stop Live working for you and then when you ring up tell you they already announced dropping support so they can't handle your "issue".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I think you might be referring to This Post.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s it perfectly. I decided to go for it. But I have a problem - I’m on Mac, so I have no idea what to look for with the xul thingy. Another possible problem might be that the only old Home I can find is apparently v1.1 and during one fiddle with it, I got a window saying this won’t run because you no longer have Classic (or something). Has anybody got any ideas please?

I could perhaps dig out my ancient Windows laptop for this GO520, but it runs so slowly I usually give up, losing patience before I get anything done!

hoolahoops
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just tried to buy another live subscription and after checking the first two digits of the serial number, TT does say the subscription is compatible with my device. I didn’t proceed with the purchase though. I’m sure TT wouldn’t sell me a subscription that wouldn’t work...

TT Go 950 Live. Fixed Brodit mount
Motorola Moto 4G
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Another possible problem might be that the only old Home I can find is apparently v1.1

The last copy of HOME2 I have is v2.9.91.

If anyone needs a copy, let me know and I'll upload it to the Web and post a Link. It's a 28Mb EXE file.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

‘Fraid I still need a Mac version and details of how to edit the version number with Mac installation.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Mac version I have is v9_5_1974.

I don't know the files and locations used by a Mac. Sad

johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a Mac and despite searching I haven't found equivalent instructions to fudge the auto update process. Just prior to a total system rebuild I did have plays with the plists myself but couldn't get it to work.

I don't think Operate my Go has ever worked on as Mac using HOME........
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: operate my device no longer works with tomtom home 950 l Reply with quote

DERRICK wrote:
Just recently I do what I always do and connect my 950 live to tomtom home and click "operate my device" but now it says "This function is not yet supported for your combination of navigation device, your device's application version and your computer's operating system."
Any ideas anyone?
Derrick

Did you ever get a fix for this ? The same thing happened with my 940 . I have tried the old trick of installing an old TT Home version 2.9.91.411 but it still doesn't work . I am wondering if its actually related to the OS version on the 940 itself rather than Home . I recently had a forced upgrade to 9.5.41 - which I understood was a required fix for a GPS change in April.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: