Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BLACK FRIDAY - TOM TOM OR GARMIN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BLACK FRIDAY - TOM TOM OR GARMIN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: BLACK FRIDAY - TOM TOM OR GARMIN Reply with quote

Hi,
I am going to buy my partner her first Sat Nav for Xmas. I have had a Tom Tom 750 Go Live for about 7 years so familiarity is a plus but not essential. Because of the POI issues with Tom Tom my next Sat Nav will probably be a Garmin when the 750 dies.

I want to get her a 5 inch with UK lifetime map & traffic updates so I had almost settled on the Garmin DriveSmart 50 LMT-D at £120 or DriveSmart 51 LMT-D at £140 at Halfords. However, I have just seen today's Halfords price for the Tom Tom Via 52 with UK & EU maps and traffic for £100 but I have no experience of this type of device which needs smartphone tethering etc to get the traffic updates.

Is anyone here able to offer any advice to assist me in making a decision?

Cheers, jack.
harley-noj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack. I'm no expert when it comes to the different models of TomTom or Garmin. But in your post you are quite correct when you talk about the POI issues like the speed camera database from here.
To me that means the only choice if you wish to use this and other POI's that are not from TomTom is to go Garmin.
I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the Garmin range will help with which one to go for.
Cheers Noj
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I have picked up quite a lot of info on both TT & Garmin devices but as I said above it is the need for smartphone tethering etc to get the traffic updates that I have no experience of and as I won't be using it (and my partner is not really into "geeky matters") I want to get a SatNav that 's dead easy to use.

Cheers jack.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a Garmin with the suffix LMT-D that stands for Lifetime Maps, Traffic Digital (built in). You do not need to tether your smartphone, but some do for some reason or another for 'better' traffic. I'll leave an expert to explain.
PGPSW cameras work as you expect them to on Garmin, and by using Kremmen's CSV to GPX converter, you can easily suppress a lot of false alarms and have spoken camera alerts
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response.

I have now found another review of the Tom Tom Via 52 and the Verdict was as follows:

"The TomTom VIA 52 is a capable satnav, although you need a smartphone for the traffic service and the European maps version is the best option."

So, it does seem that the phone data connection is required to get traffic updates and despite the amazing price of the Tom Tom I'm beginning to lean back towards the Garmins at £20 or £40 more.

Any other views would be welcome.

Cheers, Brian.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack (or Brian Confused ),

As M8TJT said, if you get a Garmin get a LMT-D one.

I have to say that I think the TomTom traffic is (for now) better than Garmin. This is based on running TomTom GO Mobile iOS alongside a Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D since September 2017.

TomTom routing is a little better, i.e. even though you may have selected "fattest route" it knows that turns and junctions slow you down. The Garmin will often take you down narrow lanes and extra turns or junctions.

When you approach a junction or roundabout, the Garmin will tell you the road name to take even if there's a road number whilst the TomTom will tell you the road number. This is import in he UK because if a road has a name and number the road signs will only show you the road number.

Garmin is a little quirky at displaying the POIs on the map, unlike TomTom (which shows all of the POIs). The Garmin will show POIs as you're driving by them.

The above may sound like I'm being negative to Garmin, please don't think that. I'm very happy with my Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D but I just want you as a TomTom user to be aware of the differences between Garmin and TomTom. As long as you remember that the SatNav is a driver aid, nothing more, and shouldn't be blindly followed then you'll be OK.

Should you get a Garmin? YES most definitely. As far as I can see, TomTom are a dead duck - TomTom have shot themselves in the foot by dumbing down their product range with current products have much less features than you're used to with your Tom Tom 750 Go Live (I also have 950 Live). I've seen current TomTom products referred to as "Fisher Price" SatNavs (an accurate description) and that's on TomTom's own forum! Laughing The current product range doesn't accept custom POIs (i.e. not PGPSW cameras). I don't know whether the TomTom VIA 52 can take custom POIs.

TomTom also have started to announce the expiry of life expectancy of their older models, which may be taken as a drive to try and force people to update their SatNavs.

Basically, as a long term TomTom user who's bought loads of TomTom products in the past, I suggest that you but a Garmin (LMT-D) and you'll love it. Yes there is a difference and there is a little learning curve but you'll be glad that you made the change. Don't forget that there's plenty of help here in the PGPSW forum. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the TomToms cannot effectively use the PGPSW databases as they (TT) no longer have proximity alerts for user POIs.
I was referring the the Garmin LMT-D devices that need no traffic adaptor or smartphone connection for traffic.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use proximity alerts as I tend to have my iPhone running CamerAlert for alerts, which is especially useful for driving in SPECS (average camera) zones.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Privateer for your detailed post. It is very useful. Obviously I am still using my Go 750 despite the fact that it is getting slower and the battery will not last a great deal longer because I want to use the PGPSW camera database. (Tempting fate?) My partner has no real need for the camera info as she is an avid user of "cruise control!" That will also save me the bother of having to constantly having to ask her for it to get it updated. (She isn't into geeky!) I think that is another advantage of the Garmin - it updates using Wi-Fi.

Thanks M8TJT. Ref your quote: "I was referring the the Garmin LMT-D devices that need no traffic adaptor or smartphone connection for traffic." I don't know which models you mean - can you enlighten me?

Regards, Brian. (I must have been tired when I signed off yesterday as I usually use my username). (Or it could be an increasing sign of creeping old age!)
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin LMT-D units do need a traffic adapter, but, it's built into the supplied power lead.

TT do seem to have slightly better routing, apparently. Garmin seem to have a reported tendency to guide you off the main drag, round a country lane, then bring you back onto the same A road you were previously on. Use it as a help, not as the defacto best route, adapt to what it's telling you.

But, the big Garmin advantage is the ability to install the cameras from here.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Via135 was one of the last to accept the database and there was a thread earlier this week about Halfords selling them dead cheap this week.I had a 135 a few years back and it was great, just wanted a slightly bigger screen, so went Garmin. The 135 wold be a good starter satnav.

Mark
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbarry wrote:
Thanks M8TJT. Ref your quote: "I was referring the the Garmin LMT-D devices that need no traffic adaptor or smartphone connection for traffic." I don't know which models you mean - can you enlighten me?
Drive Smart 61 LMT-D is one. HERE are the rest.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be mentioned you can also link your phone to the garmins for voice calling, message notifications, cameras (if have their subscription, traffic (backup if in a poor dab area, sending routes but these are a bit limited)
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
The 135 wold be a good starter satnav.

Unfortunately you can't get traffic updates with the VIA 135, but as Brian isn't bothered about the camera database I'm sure there's a more recent TomTom that would serve his purpose.

I'll leave that to someone else though, as I know nothing about the later models.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
should be mentioned you can also link your phone to the garmins for voice calling, message notifications, cameras (if have their subscription, traffic (backup if in a poor dab area, sending routes but these are a bit limited)

You can link the VIA 135 to your phone too, at least you can to my Samsung Galaxy S6, and use it for hands-free calling and message notification and reading aloud. I would imagine that would also apply to more recent TomToms, but obviously best to check.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: