Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camper 770 failure of POI icon information after software up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camper 770 failure of POI icon information after software up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianj8793
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Camper 770 failure of POI icon information after software up Reply with quote

On 17 Oct 2017 Garmin released software update for this model. having updated mine I have found an issue which the update appears to have introduced. On any search including campsite data, restaurants, cashpoint etc etc the result will show in list view but when switching to birds eye view so as to see the locations on the map with relevant information the icons are no longer operative, they appear but touching them gives no information about the location. For example, searching for petrol stations shows an icon but touching it does not give the details, Shell, Murco etc. The same apples to any search as mentioned above, the icon appears but details of what it is cannot be be obtained. This functionality is a key part of using the device to find locations and information and has been very useful in the past.

Fearing my device had developed a fault I telephoned Garmin UK Support at 16.22 hrs on 17th and I related this issue to a representative, who I need not name. After explaining that I had carried out a re install of the map and a hard reset of the device he could offer no advice. However, he was insistent that the function, or lack of it that I described had not ever been available on my device. I assured him that this was not the case since I had been using the function on this and previous Garmin devices. Indeed, the function is available and working on other brands including Tom tom and Copilot. The representative put me on hold while he said he would speak to someone higher in technical support. He then said that the person he spoke to confirmed his advice that the function had never existed and that there was nothing wrong. I explained it could not accept that advice and that I would visit my Halfords store and check the same model on display. However, he was still insisted his advice was correct.

That evening I visited my local Halfords store where they have the same unit on display. I made a number of different searches in a number of categories and in each case the birds eye view showed the icons concerned correctly. The icons functioned correctly and when touched they were highlighted and the information bar at the bottom of the screen showed the information pertaining to the icon correctly, touching other icons highlighted that icon and the information bar changed show the relevant information for that icon. Indeed other Garmin devices on show were also able to perform this function as well. Obviously the advice I had been given in my conversation the Garmin representative was incorrect. The function had always existed and should still be available. Halfords staff agreed that my device was faulty and exchanged it for another.

Whilst at the store I took number of pictures of the display item showing the correct functionality s well as a short video.

I then ensured that I have the latest version of Garmin Express installed on my laptop and connected the device. A software updates to version 5 was available as was a map update. I downloaded and installed the software update, but not the map update. On disconnection and checking the device again, the icon function was inoperative as before with the same malfunction. I made video showing the non functioning icons. I did a hard reset then again connected the device to Garmin Express and download the map update with the result that the device shows as up to date.

On the 18th Oct I again visited Halfords where the Manager contacted Garmin on my behalf. In my hearing the malfunction I describe was relayed and it was agreed that this is a software issue which is completely the opposite original advice I received. I agreed that it was pointless exchanging the unit again as the problem and its solution lay with Garmin and not Halfords.

I aware, because of my membership of various motorhome forums that others have have had the same problem after the update. One has been advised to re instal maps and software but this was to no avail. Others have held back from updating for fear of encountering the same issue. Naturally one accepts that sometimes software updates can cause problems but in this case it appears from my conversation with Garmin support that the existence of problem is denied. For this issue to be corrected I would like my device function fully as before and I know others would too. Miracles are not being requested, just the assurance that something needs correcteing with an further assurance that a solution is being actively investigated.

I await a response from Garmin.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime as it appears to be a software issue I'd roll back to an earlier software. Googling it should lead to various posts explaining how to do so, but one is here https://forums.garmin.com/forum/developers/device-communications/39860-garmin-2595lmt-how-to-rollback-software-please

Basically you get the .gcd file for the earlier software, ensure it's named gupdate.gcd (if not rename it) and place it in the .system folder.

When you boot you'll be warned you're using an earlier firmware, just accept yes. Normal caveats apply, and ensure your battery is fully charged before you try to apply the update.

For anyone else reading this thread it's always worth placing copies of the gupdate.gcd files on your PC after a software update, so you have copies to hand should you wish to revert.
ianj8793
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you that is very helpful and a fast response
ianj8793
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: 770 icon issue Reply with quote

Just a update.

I and another motorhome forum member, and I dare say others, have the same issue. It has been reported to Garmin and they say they can replicate it and are working on a solution, its now four weeks since it was reported, would that be considered a long time to correct what appears to be a software issue I wonder
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About normal, they need to ensure nothing else breaks once they've found the issue. I'd try contacting them again to see what they say, we can only speculate.
ianj8793
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Camper 770 Reply with quote

Heard from Garmin today, they say a fix will be part on an update in the first few moths of 2018.
ianj8793
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Map update just more grief Reply with quote

Today downloaded the latest map update and the original issue I had has not resolved. Worse all the poi for ACSI Motorhome Fscts and NKC have vanished and these categories no longer appear in the “where to” menu. My top of the range all singing and dancing camper/caravan device has been turned into crap by its producers. More worryingly, they are still selling them on line and via retail outlets and st the same time fobbing off existing owners with promises of a fix sometime in the first quarter of 2018. Pathetic from a once respected company.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously of no consolation to you, but just for info, when I tap a POI icon on my DS61, I get a popup telling me about it.
It's when I do:- Where to ~ Favourites ~ lower Map tab ~ tap a 'heart'. The map in the RH side of the screen centres on the POI and an info pane pops up on the LH side of the screen with details.
Is this to which you are referring?

Updated S/W and maps last night. 3.4 and 2018.3
ianj8793
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Obviously of no consolation to you, but just for info, when I tap a POI icon on my DS61, I get a popup telling me about it.
It's when I do:- Where to ~ Favourites ~ lower Map tab ~ tap a 'heart'. The map in the RH side of the screen centres on the POI and an info pane pops up on the LH side of the screen with details.
Is this to which you are referring?

Updated S/W and maps last night. 3.4 and 2018.3

Yes that’s pretty much the same thing which is very useful, or was when it worked. Garmin now say, after a lot of pushing, they anticipate a fix towards end of January. If correct that will be good.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with some manufacturers is sometime getting them to understand exactly what the 'problem' is. How long should it take for someone to undo what they have done to break it? Surely they have software control, don't they??
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin have admitted they have an issue Shocked
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but look at the hoops Ian had to jump through to convince them they had said problem.
ianj8793
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Map update Reply with quote

Yesterday Garmin tweaked Garmin Express so that a map reinstall brought back the icons and data or ACSI etc so thats good. The fix for the other issue is still awaited but they have said mid to end January. So there is some progress.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yesterday, been out around a week. Always worth keeping Express up to date although most changes these days are to do with fitness devices.
ianj8793
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Garmin 770 faults Reply with quote

Yesterday 19 Jan Garmin issued a software update which has totally cured the problem, everything is working now as it should. It has been quite long time since the issue with search icons was reported but they have grasped the nettle and put matter wright. I have been assured that measures have been put in placebo prevent this kind of thing in future so I expect quality control has been at the heart of the matter. Hopefully I and others can now use the devices at the full potential.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: