Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange local route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange local route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Strange local route Reply with quote

OK, I don't know whether this is going to work, but I'm going to have my first attempt at including an image in my posting.

If this works, it will show two slightly different short routes, each from the same start to the same destination. My query is, why would the Garmin device send me along the magenta route, when the actual route I always use (in green) is about 25% shorter and (according to Garmin) the same distance? Note in case you're wondering, I don't use the sat nav just for this route, but it's often the first little tiny part of my overall routes to North Worcestershire and my sat nav always tries to take me on this little detour.[img]https://app.box.com/s/xplxwo5ga1ks61nkq6far0gkmr6er529[/img]

Hmm - the preview doesn't show the image in the post, so I'm not sure how this works.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link you are trying to link to does though. Copy/paste int browser
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work if it linked to Imgur
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using img /img doesnt seem to work for me either
but url= /url does.
here
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the Garmin does not like you taking right turns onto roads, The Garmin route is all left turns, so theoretically easier.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a similar problem everyday - the device has realised where i am going and plans a route to it - i come of the same junction every day as the route the garmin takes me, is usually into queuing traffic and even without this, it is no faster than the route i go.

the mytrends shows the route i take all the time and this is the same when leaving work for home, yet for some reason it never picks the routes i actually go.

my go5000 on the other hand picks the correct junction so not sure why the garmin can't
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks:
[My First Thought - Before Edit]
It is possible the Garmin is routing via the more 'senior' B4638 road which the unit might deem to be faster and less congested, rather than the smaller Millwood Drive.
Might it also depend on the Faster/Shorter/etc Routing setting...?

[EDIT]
HOWEVER just did a quick test on Mapsource on my PC:

Routing from 'Lyppard Bourne' to 'Parson' as on your map, it indeed routes as you have shown in magenta.

If you INVERT the route going backwards from 'Parson' to 'Lyppard Bourne' shown in your map, it does actually route you down your preferred green route via Plantation Drive & Millwood Drive. So it does work backwards; ie on the return route.

Again, starting from Lyppard Bourne, it does not seem to mind if you manually change the route to force it to go up Millwood Drive which probably means there no one way or other restrictions in its database.

Changing the Faster/Shorter settings or type of vehicle also seems to make no difference.

So there is something in its calculation algorithm system that forces it to route outwards via the south bound B4638 - but not the north bound B4638.

Ofcourse my exercise is on a stand alone Mapsource on my PC.
The other consideration is that if you are routing on your unit, it might be taking the time of day and traffic conditions into account and routing you out onto the faster less congested route.

cwog
Just some Off Topic info in the 'Useless Info' Category:
J Edgar Hoover of FBI fame, had a standing instruction to his driver NEVER to make a left turn.
As in: His theory, Left = Commies !

Sorry it is a bit late !!
Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: