Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What new TomTom to insert POIs and their bitmaps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't cut & paste like on Tom Tom, you need to use POI Loader which is here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

Mark
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

I used to be a TomTom advocate for 14 years but in the last couple of months I've dropped TomTom and moved to Garmin.

Do you use a Windows or Mac computer? I use a Mac and that causes a few headaches and most things can be done. If you use Windows then it will be easier.

harrytherid wrote:
What is a "Loader" and where do I find it and how do I use it when I do find it?

POI Loader is used to load your POIs onto your Garmin, you can download the Windows version or the Mac version.

For a Garmin POI you need to start with either a .csv file or a .gpx file. I recommend that you use .csv files (to start with) as they can be downloaded or if you have your own POIs files in .ov2 (TomTom) format then there are tools to convert for you.

Icons are not essential, but if you want them then use at least 24x24 but 44x44 are better - especially on a 6.95" screen! Thumbs Up

If you want icons then the files should be named identically to the poi file, i.e. the .bmp files should have the same name as the .csv file expect for the extension part.

You need a folder on your computer for all of the POIs (and their associated .bmp files). You connect you Garmin to your computer and launch POI Loader, which will merge all of the POI (.csv) files and icon (.bmp) files into a single .gpi file and then install it onto your Garmin.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
harrytherid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: cracked it, I think. Reply with quote

I think I have cracked it. I realised the down loader might be a separate application, and so it was. I have tried one experiment, so far, and it has worked. Fingers crossed for what I shall do tomorrow (to tired to go on any more today).

Thanks all,

Harry
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig out the "Spoon Feed" tutorial sticky in the Garmin section.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
guzziowner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this, Thumbs Up

I've been trying to get an answer from Garmin support!!! for weeks on this very question

Privateer wrote:

You need a folder on your computer for all of the POIs (and their associated .bmp files). You connect you Garmin to your computer and launch POI Loader, which will merge all of the POI (.csv) files and icon (.bmp) files into a single .gpi file and then install it onto your Garmin.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
If you include a matching audio voice file in *.WAV format and put sox.exe in your POILoader install location on your C drive you can have voice alers along the linesa of "Wetherspoons ahead"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: