Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Non-tech newbie can't manage SD card on Nuvi 2595. HELP!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-tech newbie can't manage SD card on Nuvi 2595. HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulasat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Non-tech newbie can't manage SD card on Nuvi 2595. HELP! Reply with quote

Newly registered here, so apologies for bursting in with what is probably a really stupid request for help. The problem is that I am not tech-minded in any way, and so am not able to figure out what to do with my Garmin Nuvi 2595. The issue is this:

1) I am leaving for a holiday in France on Sunday and taking my Nuvi 2595 with me for use in the rental car;

2) I am on a lifetime free map update, so a few days ago I attempted to update to the latest European coverage, version 2018.10, using the Garmin Express software installed on my desktop Windows 7 computer;

3) Garmin Express reported that "Device Storage" is 98% full. It showed a bright red ribbon with a tiny bit at the end to indicate only 200Mb or so left available;

4) Garmin Express said: 'You may want to purchase a memory card for this device to ensure sufficient space for future updates";

5) So I have done. A 16Gb micro SD. It arrived this morning. I've installed it in the Garmin;

6) I have connected the device to my computer, opened Windows Explorer, and there I can see the Garmin's two drives, the almost-full internal memory, the completely empty 16Gb micro SD card memory;

7) All I want to do now is download the new 7.20Gb update. . . download it to my newly installed memory card, the one Garmin said I should purchase and install. However:

8) That is ALL that Garmin help and support actually says. Not a mention of what to do, or how to do it, after the card has been added.

9) I have found a website online called smallbusiness.chron with an article entitled: HOW TO DOWNLOAD MAPS TO A MICRO SD CARD FOR GARMIN DEVICE. Why on earth I have tro hunt around the Internet for that information when Garmin itself could just as easily have said so in its User Manual, I've no idea. Unfortunately though:

10) The advice given certainly doesn't relate to my Nuvi 2595. It says all I have to do is connect my Garmin to my computer and the MapInstall software will give me the option of where to install the maps, either the device or the SD card;

11) Well, er, yes. I've no idea what "MapInstall" software is. It certainly isn't Garmin Express. And GarminExpress certainly doesn't give me a choice of install location: I've looked everywhere in settings, in tools, and can't find any reference at all;

12) Back to Garmin support, and I've still found out nothing useful at all.

Am I being really stupid here? Please tell me if I am, I don't mind.

Right now I'm absolutely furious with Garmin that there seems to be no guidance whatsoever on what to do with a memory card other than an incredibly vague reference to "you can copy and paste from one drive to the other using your computer". Well yes. I know that. I would've thought all computer users know about copying and pasting.

The questions I have, which aren't addressed in any way by Garmin, are:

1) Will Garmin Express automatically "find" my installed memory card and download to it?

2) If it won't, and it can't, then should I make space for the download in the device memory by copying / pasting / moving everything currently there onto the card memory?

3) Or should I only copy / paste / move some files onto the card, and if so: which? (There's an Audible folder there which I've no need for.)

4) Or. . . what?

Sorry for the length of this post but it really is frustrating to have to contend with this kind of thing on the eve of departure. I didn't know the device memory was nearly full so I've done as required of me and bought the additional memory. In return, all I required of Garmin was some user help. But that, seemingly, is beyond it.

Hence, this request for help here -- with apologies, and also, with thanks.

Paula.
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format the card in FAT32 format, insert it in the Nubia and let Express find and install the update to the card.

Just run the update and it does it all itself.
Paulasat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metblackrat wrote:
Format the card in FAT32 format, insert it in the Nubia and let Express find and install the update to the card. Just run the update and it does it all itself.

Thanks so much for that fast reply. The card is already recognised in Windows Explorer so I was assuming it was already FAT32 -- would there be some way of checking that to make sure??
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update will only be sent to the card IF there isn't sufficient space on your device. Almost certainly the card you have will be FAT32, so just leave it in place, Express will use it when the time comes hence the warning 'You may want ...'.

You don't need MapInstall, which doesn't apply to your model, that's the danger of trawling the internet Wink

Express has given you all the information you need.
Paulasat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
The update will only be sent to the card IF there isn't sufficient space on your device. Almost certainly the card you have will be FAT32, so just leave it in place, Express will use it when the time comes hence the warning 'You may want ...'.

You don't need MapInstall, which doesn't apply to your model, that's the danger of trawling the internet Wink

Express has given you all the information you need.

Agreed! I have long taken to heart the wise words of Abraham Lincoln who said "Just because you read it on the Internet, that doesn't mean it's true." Smile

Thanks for the help: appreciated!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can should you wish free up space by deleting unwanted help, voice, vehicle, text, keyboard and EULA files, if you wish to do that you need to do so via Windows Explorer. Back up your device first just in case you make any mistakes Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Back up your device first just in case you make any mistakes Wink
You will need to ensure that 'Show hidden files" (or similar) is enabled in file explorer as the 'works' of the Garmin are in a hidden folder. Then just copy the lot from the Garmin to a 'safe place' on your computer.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And show system files I seem to recall.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: