Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The WNRO impact on x10 devices... with a workaround.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The WNRO impact on x10 devices... with a workaround.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: The WNRO impact on x10 devices... with a workaround. Reply with quote

Unfortunately TomTom x10 devices are affected by the WNRO but not immediately.
If you’ve switched on your x10 device to see if it still works after the WRNO everything will appear normal.
It will lock-on to satellites as usual, the clock will sync and the date/time stamp of files on files will be all be correct.
The first time you plan a route after the WNRO your x10 will appear to act normally and will navigate you to your destination as it’s always done displaying the correct arrival time etc.
However when you switch off the device and then come to use it again it will struggle to lock-on to satellites correctly just as if there’s a GPS signal problem or your internal antenna is faulty.
This is not the case, the bug has affected these units like a deliberate kill switch.
If you leave them for an hour or so they will eventually lock-on but once you’re moving the poor GPS signal will erratically come and go.
I have 3 GO 910s and all have done exactly the same.
On the 26th of March TomTom GO 910 I received an e-mail regarding the discontinuation of maps for the GO 910.
The e-mail stated “Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update.” ...12 days after receiving this e-mail my devices have been rendered useless.
Yes we were warned that there could be issues caused by the WNRO but bricking our devices was not one of them.
TomTom need to address this problem as rendering our devices useless after what we were told just a few days earlier is grossly unfair.

Last edited by DeLorean on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just discovered that TomTom have added an additional page to their website which states "The timing of the signals is what determines the distance from the satellites and the position of your device, so some affected devices might also not be able to get a GPS fix or navigate at all after the rollover."
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26607
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I’ve figured a workaround for x10s and probably other models... this is probably an obvious fix to some of you out there.
The issue is the x10s can no longer read the GPS almanac and ephemeris data from the data stream.
Installing QuickGPSfix through TomTom Home will replace this missing information for the next 7 days after which time the device will struggle to obtain a signal again.
I’ve never needed to use this feature, but the device is pretty much useless without it now, so needs must.
So these devices can keep struggling on for a bit longer... now to find myself a nice GO 940 in the meantime Very Happy
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
... now to find myself a nice GO 940 in the meantime Very Happy

....or a possibly cheaper 540 or 740 (same animal with smaller internal memory BUT still the MicroSD card slot!!)
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use a direct link to download the appropriate QuickGPSfix data for your device without using TomTOm Home, you can find all the info here:
https://www.gpspower.net/tomtom-tutorials/326875-update-quickgpsfix-without-tthome.html#post974980
Using a OTG adapter it's possible to update your device using your Android phone e.g. if your on holiday etc.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
DeLorean wrote:
... now to find myself a nice GO 940 in the meantime Very Happy

....or a possibly cheaper 540 or 740 (same animal with smaller internal memory BUT still the MicroSD card slot!!)

Interesting...
So the 540 and 740 were pretty much identical in hardware and features apart from they were supplied with different maps and one had 1GB of internal memory and the other had 2GB?
The 940 again had different maps, 4GB of internal memory, mp3 Player, FM transmitter and Enhanced Positioning Technology.
Can the LIVE services still be used or has that been axed by TomTom?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: