Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NO MORE SUPPORT FOR MANY NAV2 (& NAV3) DEVICES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

I just tried that for my old 950. Unfortunately "orders" just shows your history of map purchases but doesn't show when your maps expire(d).

I'd have thought that there was a way on the unit, but my 950 is safely stored away - I now just use the old TomTom iOS app.

Regards,

Thanks for checking; I did the same with the same results so it does mean a call to support as neither the device nor TTHome can tell you more that current map version(s)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, My Orders details now show
Order number xxx, UKROI - 1 year Map Update Service purchase date 12-10-2016

Order number xxx, UKROI - 1.5 years Map Update Service purchase date 17-11-2016

The first one above (and 3 previous orders) shows Completed, the one for today's purchase shows In progress.

Anyway, I've done it now. The one year I got last month cost only £19.98, so I imagine the worst loss I'll suffer is that. We shall see.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Dennis.

Whilst I like my old 950, I let the maps and traffic subscription lapse a long time ago as I use my iPhone for SatNav.

I use TomTom old iOS app (not the beta test TomTom GO Mobile). I load POIs onto the app using iMazing program on my PC. If I need to capture new POIs I use the fantastic POIViewer. I keep all of my own third party POIs master files in Excel .xlsx file format and use "Extra_POI_Editor" to create the .ov2 files from the .xlsx master files.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just plugged in my GO520. It forced a "critical update" of TT Home, which showed the little window about not being updated from now on, then appeared with the map purchasing icon greyed out. Incidentally, my map is loaded onto a 16GB SD card. How can they say my device isn't big enough? I think this is just a sales talk type excuse to get rid of as many devices as possible - the best excuse they could come up with was internal storage. After all, if anybody is running UKROI on one of the legacy devices with more storage which is NOT included in this new position, they'll still get updates, so what's the difference between them and me? (Rhetorical). Maybe I should dig out that GO700 and buy map update service for UKROI for it?

So now I wait and see what happens next. I might add that in my opinion, my GO520 will still outperform the recent ones even when it no longer updates.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest order now shows Complete and on-line banking shows that they've taken my money.

So now I can get on the phone to Support to get them to confirm that I have map update service for 2.5 years. :-)

justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
My latest order now shows Complete and on-line banking shows that they've taken my money.

So now I can get on the phone to Support to get them to confirm that I have map update service for 2.5 years. :-)

You certainly can ask the question & I'm pretty sure they will confirm that any new subs will be honoured & added to the end of current ones
ashleyfrazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: NO MORE SUPPORT FOR SOME OF THE OLDER NAV2 DEVICES! Reply with quote

Hi

I do not post in the forum very often but this has to be one of the most cynical things Tomtom have ever done and to be fair they have managed to do quite a few things over the years.

This morning I received two emails relating to the two Tomtom devices I have bought over the years. Both devices (2005 and 2010) have been declared end of life with immediate effect - the annual subscription for the 2010 one runs out at the end of November (I don't use the 2005 one anymore). For the last 3 years I have thought about "upgrading" but the new Tomtom devices will not allow POI to be used (despite what the sales people tell me at trade shows) for Pocket GPS World speed cameras. therefore I have purchased both Traffic and Maps - spending a sum which is is a good proportion of a new device. The 550Liove I have is perfect for my needs.

The "excuse" that devices cannot fit the maps is baloney. Thought up by someone with a poor grasp of the technical as the excuse Sales can use to get more revenue. My device from day 1 had an expansion SD card - there is more than enough space to get the biggest map - it holds the European map and POIs without an issue. The excuse is therefore bogus. Doing it now is also cynical - how many people are going to suggest they get a new device for Christmas?

Well Mr TomTom executive please add this to the spreadsheet. I had an email from Sygic yesterday with a black Friday offer which is much cheaper than Tomtom. The product is just as pretty and runs on my smartphone. I get the same functions as TomTom for a lot less money (its true Sygic cant do the GPS POI stuff either - feature was withdrawn from what I can see but I will be no worse off). I will not spend a chunk of of money with TomTom this year - I have been a customer for over 10 years.

TT dont seem to understand that switching all these devices off does not mean we will all rush out and buy a new TT. We will as consumers look at alternatives and it seems that the alternatives are both cheaper and just as attractive.

Dont expect to see a reply from TT although I invite them to contact me on PM). I think that this is the sort of thing (obsoleting lots of devices overnight) that should be shouted about and brought to the attention of everyone via the press. - but it wont. TT deserve all the bad publicity they get on this issue. IMHO.

ash
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 750 'Live' and a 550 'Live' and love 'em for their planning capabilities.

We are up to date with our maps and are now being offered the latest 9.50 ones for Europe (where we live).

How do I know which Nav version we are on? The software is 9.xx something and I can't find any reference to Nav2/3/4 anywhere.

Many thanks

Barry
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
We have a 750 'Live' and a 550 'Live' and love 'em for their planning capabilities.

We are up to date with our maps and are now being offered the latest 9.50 ones for Europe (where we live).

How do I know which Nav version we are on? The software is 9.xx something and I can't find any reference to Nav2/3/4 anywhere.

Many thanks

Barry

You won't be offered ANYTHING more for your 550 (even MapShare).
if your 750 has a serial number starting with "W8" (therefore with 1GB internal memory) then that too is now defunct, however if your 750 has a 2GB internal memory as most have and any other serial number then that's good FOR NOW but not too sure for how much longer!
see https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/topic/name/end-of-life
TTHome will also remind you/tell you if your device has reached its end of life.

PS all devices that use TTHome are NAV2's irrespective of what application/navcore they run. NAV3's & NAV4's all run on MyDrive Connect
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the speedy reply.

My 750 has a 'W4' serial number but that's a bit grim regarding the 550.

We have found the 'Live' services (when they work) to be very useful in directing us around traffic delays. BUT, and its a big but, when I replace my device it MUST have itinerary planning as we use this all the time.

I'm not sure what other models (if any) have a working itinerary planner . . . or being able to input GPS co-ordinates. My brother in law has just bought a tom tom where he can only enter a post code. That's useless in Germany.

Anywho, thanks again for the quick reply.

Barry
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that TomTom's decision to not provide further maps for units that it deems as past "end of life" is a fantastic opportunity for TomTom's loyal customers to finally say let's try another brand and once people switch they won't come back. Do you fancy buying any other TomTom branded goods?

According to the TomTom management board, here are the people who need to be told. I've inculded what I think are the correct email addresses:

Harold Goddijn (CEO)
Email: harold.goddijn [at] tomtom.com

Taco Titulaer (CFO)
Email: taco.titulaer [at] tomtom.com ?

Alain De Taeye (Member of Executive Management Board)
Email: alain.detaeye [at] tomtom.com ?

Why not send a quick polite email to the above thanking them for the useful old products but saying why you're now going to use a competitor's product from now on? If hundreds or more flooded their in boxes then they might start to think about things.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
ashleyfrazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Harold Goddijn (CEO)
Email: harold.goddijn [at] tomtom.com

Taco Titulaer (CFO)
Email: taco.titulaer [at] tomtom.com ?

Alain De Taeye (Member of Executive Management Board)
Email: alain.detaeye [at] tomtom.com ?

I like the idea but I suspect a waste of time. In these types of organisations no one backs down because they lose face. It can be the worst idea in the world but once agreed no one would dare to speak out of line (HR would be informed that are "Not a Team player". Everyone else uses it as a way to move themselves up.

Remember lots of people criticised them when they removed functions from new devices. TT took absolutely no notice - because they can never be wrong. I know the bottom line never lies - but its always the markets fault.

I really think it effects PGPS too - if you cant add POIs to the new TTs then why would you subscribe? You might like to use the speed camera app - that's fine. I cant justify the costs of renewal if I am not using it. Feels like big TT is trying to squeeze the smaller ones.

ash

ash
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ash,

I emailed the top three in May 2015 and got nowhere so it probably will be a waste of time but anything is worth a go, especially if enough people email them. At least you'll get the chance to say that you won't buy anything else branded TomTom. As the above email addresses are for the top three, you are targeting people who are not worried about HR.

Hopefully more and more will get upset with TomTom and go elsewhere. This will enable the CEO and his chums to have the time to re-read all those emails telling them why people were unhappy with TomTom and why people went to the competition.

I used to buy new TomTom PNDs every 18 months to two years. I stopped with the 950. I progressed to the iPhone TomTom app which is bearable especially if you use POIViewer. But I won't use TomTom GO Mobile as it just is so basic.

I now keep my POIs in POIViewer, which is independent of any SatNav, so when the TomTom iPhone app is killed off by TomTom I will just move over to one of my other SatNav apps. POIViewer will work with most iPhone SatNav apps on your iPhone. I was beta testing one app and POIViewer could even launch the beta app with any of my POIs as a destination.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expiry date in the latest 'Download your latest map today' email shows my expiry as 20.11.2019 for my ONE 1st Edition (G1), so it looks like I got an additional subscription (1+5) added on before the deadline last Tuesday.

I have a 4GB SD card (no internal storage) so I'm not sure what the 2GB limit has to do with anything.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I received mapshare corrections.

And I CAN still buy their wonderful cameras. If, as they warn, my map becomes inaccurate, what happens to them selling me cameras which won't warn because they are not on new roads which are not on my inaccurate map?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: