Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 6100/6200
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 6100/6200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: TomTom 6100/6200 Reply with quote

Will the software on the 6100 be updated when the 6200 is out, to enable it to automatically update without the need to update via a computer?

As they both have their own internal Sim I cannot see why this cannot be included.
deep_south
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since TomTom will be paying for the data charges, why do you expect them to pay for large data downloads? (I know they will be getting a really good deal for this from the mobile networks, but even Amazon have "slugged" what you can get over 3G on their kindles)

Are they using the 3G or 4G networks, as 3G would probably be too slow anyway...
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep_south wrote:
Since TomTom will be paying for the data charges, why do you expect them to pay for large data downloads? (I know they will be getting a really good deal for this from the mobile networks, but even Amazon have "slugged" what you can get over 3G on their kindles)

Are they using the 3G or 4G networks, as 3G would probably be too slow anyway...

I do not understand your comments.

The 6200 will update new maps etc if you just press an icon on the new TomTom, so this is Free via the internal Sim. No idea weather it is 3g or 4G that TomTom provides on its internal Sim.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new devices have wifi and this is how they will update OTA. The inbuilt sim has far too slow data speeds to be able to handle the updates.
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillevy wrote:
The new devices have wifi and this is how they will update OTA. The inbuilt sim has far too slow data speeds to be able to handle the updates.

Thanks

So, from that it appears that you still have to take the TomTom out of the car to connect to a Wi-Fi system.
deep_south
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the SIM is only for traffic information. For device or map updates, I believe you will still need to use Wifi or some other computer connection.

The traffic info is "relatively small"; new maps and device updates are "relatively big"...

I have just checked, and their websitefor for the 6200 specifically states:

•TomTom Traffic via built-in SIM
•Updates via Wi-Fi

So "doing it all" via the SIM is still a long, long way off - if ever!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can update while out and about using wifi hot spot from your phone if your data cap allows

In practice for most this would not be practical because of speed and time

However I understand that for sometime TT have been working on bring live or daily updates - bit like mapshare - where only the changes need to sync - thus making this a true alternative. Maybe in the not to distant future
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
TheGas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Of course you can update while out and about using wifi hot spot from your phone if your data cap allows

In practice for most this would not be practical because of speed and time

However I understand that for sometime TT have been working on bring live or daily updates - bit like mapshare - where only the changes need to sync - thus making this a true alternative. Maybe in the not to distant future

Thanks.

I was just hoping that the 6100/6200 could update automatically through the Sim incorporated within the SatNav but that does not appear to be the case.

Thanks for all the replies.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: