Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 24v Input Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

24v Input Query
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: 24v Input Query Reply with quote

In answer to a post on a Usenet forum I suggested that it may not be advisable to plug a GPS Mouse with cigarette lighter power plug into a 24 supply.

I've since been told that these adapters will happily accept input from 8v - 35v. Can any HGV drivers with 24v confirm this? I'm being cautious until I know better as if this is incorrect it would possibley mean 1 fried PPC and GPS! I thought the accessory outlets sold 24v - 12v converters specifically because of this but maybe the converters that come with GPS are just better designed to handle this range of inputs?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen this around on the brodit site they say there mounts a 24v-12 compatablebut wouldnt like to try it the general rule of thumb is if your not sure use and voltage dropper and can be picked up for as little as £25 pound. personally i wouldnt try itunless id spoken to the manufacurer

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mikeshe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

I have actually used mine in a truck using the TomTom Car Kit, plugged into the 24 volt lighter socket and everything was okay.

Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, looks like it's OK then Thumbs Up
Gowjo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: 12 or 24 Reply with quote

In most trucks today you will find a switch on the dash that says 12/24 this enables to switch between 12 or 24 volt, i use my ipaq 2210 with tomtom 3 on the 12v and not a problem at all, it works fine, ive even switched it to 24 to test it, because the ciggy adaptor is fused there is no worry of damaging the system. hope this helps.
quadman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: cigarette lighter Reply with quote

I have always plugged my electronic devices into the cigarette lighter, basically your charger is a step down transformer. If you plug the charger in first without plugging into the device, you would see smoke from the charger.

I have never had a problem, you could get a voltage dropper or an adaptor for the 12 volt socket if you'd prefer.

That is if the lighter socket works though.......
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
ivoltage dropper can be picked up for as little as £25

Or you can buy a LM7812 voltage regulator for about £1....
Dohnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of advice and also a word of warning.

I had the same reservations about whether to plug into the 24v supply, so I obtained a 24/12v dropper which I keep with me at all times, works well, the Emtac charger, chargers both the Ipac 4150 Pda and the Emtac bluetooth Gps.

However one day I inadvertently plugged the charger directly into the 24v system on the truck, after about half an hour I realised what I had done. Oh joy of joy, no problem both the Pda and the Gps worked fine and still do, however I am still cautious and use the dropper, when I can be bothered to get it out.

Now for the caution, two days ago I plugged the charger in as usual to find that it was not working, no light on, so I got my backup charger out a Leadtek charger which clearly stated 12/24v on it. Two seconds later I smelt the distinctive smell of frying electronics, I quickly pulled the charger out. Too late the charger was well and truly cooked. Worse still it was in the 12v socket not the 24v. The only conclusion I could come with was that the on board dropper was connected the wrong way and was giving out 48volts and not 12v. Moral of this story is that I will always use the 24v plug, no dropper to screw it up.

What concerned me the most was that the fuse in the Leadtek charger had`nt blown. Bit of good luck though when I had a chance to check the fuse in the Emtac charger, it had blown, soon had the spare fuse in it and on and on and on.

Ipac 4150, Emtac Bluetooth Gps,
Backup Gps, Leadtek 9537
Gus607
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my TTG since last August plugged into a 24v cigar lighter socket on a truck, no problem. If the charger is rated 12/24v then all should be ok.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is worried about frying their precious bit of kit all that is required is to measure the voltage at the jack end of the power lead and if it matches the specs of the kit you are useing ( +ve or -ve pin and the correct voltage) then you should be OK Exclamation Every one does have a meter don't they Question Laughing Wink
Dave
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of issues around putting 24V into a device designed for 12V. Components are rated for a specific voltage, sometimes they go pop immediately, sometimes they last longer. Most 12V devices will handle well over 12 Volt, but will be on or exceeding limits at 24V. Because it appears to work doesn't mean you are not damaging it. Also dropping 24Volts down to 12 can generate a lot of heat. It may take an hour of more to finally "let the smoke out".

Unless you know what you are doing, don't exceed the manufacturer spec. Also don't plug a 24V device into 12 volts. Nasty things can happen as well.

Remember that a 24V system is a nominal 24 Volt. They normally run at around 28 volts. It's not uncommon to see 30+V "spikes" in this environment. Unless a device is designed for 24V automotive, it's luck that keeps the smoke inside the components.
Gus607
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the sticker on my TTG charger states 24/12v input. But did I read somewhere that some TTGs shipped with a 12v charger only ?????????
If only 12v then don't connect to 24v.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus607 wrote:
Well, the sticker on my TTG charger states 24/12v input. But did I read somewhere that some TTGs shipped with a 12v charger only ?????????
If only 12v then don't connect to 24v.

Mine does as well. I believe some of the earlier units were only 12v.

As the 12/24v is only the nominal figure of a fully charged battery at rest, it is appreciated that charging circuits in vehicles have to go 'above' this voltage to charge. It can only be assumed that when marked up as 12/24 that they are designed with this higher voltage in mind, as are other electrical pieces for vehicles.

The regulator in a 12/24v must be of a good standard in that it can regulate over that larger voltage range, and to dissipate the extra power at the higher voltages..

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The regulator in a 12/24v must be of a good standard in that it can regulate over that larger voltage range, and to dissipate the extra power at the higher voltages..

Like this 40 cent one: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/LM/LM7805.html Wink

As Fairchild say: "internal current limiting, thermal shut-down and safe operating area protection, making it essentially indestructible"

They take up to 35 volts and give very good regulation. I have used lots of these in various types of equipment and after giving them a fair amount of abuse, I can confirm that they are pretty much bullet proof. They will simply shut down if you short circuit or over heat them.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

Like this 40 cent one: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/LM/LM7805.html Wink

As Fairchild say: "internal current limiting, thermal shut-down and safe operating area protection, making it essentially indestructible"

They take up to 35 volts and give very good regulation. I have used lots of these in various types of equipment and after giving them a fair amount of abuse, I can confirm that they are pretty much bullet proof. They will simply shut down if you short circuit or over heat them.

Exactly.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: