Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Audio files and sox.exe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio files and sox.exe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Audio files and sox.exe Reply with quote

I cannot for the life of me get my selected voice (or any voice come to that) installed on to my 2699. I've read the threads, but probably not understood them. I am using Windows 10 and what I have done is this:

Created a Garmin Speed Cam folder in 'My Documents'.

Downloaded Garmin POIloader UK Speed Zoned Complete

and installed in said folder

I also opted to include the Wav Male no prefix.

Whilst the camera's show on the map, the audio doesn't. Am I downloading the correct voice file?

I have dowloaded the sox.exe file and extracted it into the said folder.

I have read in various threads that the sox.exe should be installed in the POI Loader folder but I can't seem to do this.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this guidance from Kremmen
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=96285&highlight=sox

Dales.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot paste a file into \program files\ then the usual reason is that you are not logged in as an Administrator.

If you are an Administrator then try right clicking the POIloader program folder and see if 'take ownership' is one of the options.

I'm sticking with Win7 for the life of my current PC, probably 2019, so I can't help with Win10 issues.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
If you cannot paste a file into \program files\ then the usual reason is that you are not logged in as an Administrator.

If you are an Administrator then try right clicking the POIloader program folder and see if 'take ownership' is one of the options.

I'm sticking with Win7 for the life of my current PC, probably 2019, so I can't help with Win10 issues.

My laptop gave up the ghost so I HAD to have Win 10. Not at home till late aft so will try later.

I'm struggling to keep up with technology that the 'experts' reckon is "easier to operate".

Will report back.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retired a couple of years ago from being a software developer come service delivery manager come user helpline (wet nurse).

I often struggle with some of it.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are having problems with Win10, seek help at: http://www.tenforums.com/

Win10 is pretty good but has many unwanted features - not least thinking your PC is a phone or tablet.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some please tell me which audio format I should install for use on my 2699?

I am having major problems here after doing a master reset. Even though, at the end of the installation, it told me that 20k speed cam files had been transfered, they don't show on screen. But, at the same time, I installed the free POI's from the site and they ARE showing.

I've just done yet another master reset and am about to install them again. Will do the speed cams first then use the unit tomorrow and, if successful, will then reinstall the POI's.

I'm also not sure whether I am downloading the sox.exe file from the correct place!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sox.exe from here

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=96285&highlight=sox

is the correct one. You need .wav files for your nuvi, as do all the newer ones.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks once again.
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
I am having the same prob with w/10 not loading Liz's WAV files using the POI loader .Old w/7 lap loads them fine & has done for the last 4 yrs , but new W/10 d/top says " cannot use WAV files so were not loaded " or words to that effect..........SOX.exe is loaded in POI folder on the 1490 . Is there anything else that I can do .
Regards SILVERFOXE
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sox.exe needs to be in the folder where PoiLoader.exe resides (and not in your camera POI folder).

Check out the guidance from Kremmen with pictures and help notes (click the link in my post near the top of this thread).

Dales.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's me again. Here's an update and obviously things aren't perfect but getting there.

I deleted all POI's from my 2699 and started from scratch. I have installed all camera's excluding the wav files. I did this because I wanted to see where previous installations were stalling.

Next I downloaded the database including the .wav files with male voice no prefix. I deleted the .csv and .bmp files leaving just the .wav files.

I have tried various methods of installing them and I have several folders with the following in them and tried each method:

1 A folder with just the POI loader and sox.exe file in it with the wav files in another folder.

2 A folder with the POI loader, sox and the wav files in it.

Both methods were unsuccessful with the POI loader getting as far as searching for the .wav files only to tell me "There are no data files in that folder. Please specify a folder which has at least one file which has a .csv or .gpx extension". HOWEVER, ALL THE .WAV FILES ARE THERE.

What I then did was to add one ,csv (the 20 mph),

When I included the 20 .csv, I tried the transfer again and it told me that it successfully installed 69 custom POI's
BUT
POI loader also said "unable to convert pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.wav to the proper format, therefore the audio file was not transferred. That was the 20 mph .csv file I had included so I thought this meant that everything else had transferred successfully but STILL no audio can be heard.

This is the reason why I decided initially to install the camera files first then add the wav's later.

Do all the .wav files have to be installed at the same time as all the camera files?

I have previously managed to get the audio to work but had to do a master reset so lost everything and forgotten how I managed it! Really frustrating!!![/code]
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Do all the .wav files have to be installed at the same time as all the camera files?
Yes.
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dales
I think sox is in the right folder had a job finding it in windows 10 much simpler windows 7 . Seems to have installed ok on g/1490 as every thing went as normal ,,,,,, no warning messages , will report back when I have had time to test it .
silverfoxe
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
topref wrote:
Yes.

Thanks. So can anyone explain to me why I get the response "unable to convert (and this is an example) pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.wav to the proper format, therefore the audio file was not transferred".

I get that for all speeds if I try and install them at the same time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: