Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No verbal warning for Specs cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No verbal warning for Specs cameras
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: No verbal warning for Specs cameras Reply with quote

I updated my TomTom Go520 then as I had not updated the PGPS cameras for a year I decided to update them as well.

Currently I have only tried the update out by using a demo route. There is a verbal warning twice for gatsos that are not there and have never been on this road out of my village.

2nd Although all the (many) specs cameras show on screen there is no verbal warning. I have checked and rechecked on the TomTom warning screen and each time I receive the correct verbal warning, average speed camera zone, with the option to choose yes if this is the warning required. I always tap yes

I am also getting very very frequent Red Light camera ahead,verbal warnings, enough to drive me potty, but there are no red-light cameras, in fact in my case no traffic lights at all until near the end of my journey
No icons show on screen on these verbal warnings except on the only occasion that there really is a red light camera.

Also icons appear on screen for mobile camera locations but no verbal warning is received.

Please can anyone help. Thanks
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maggie25,

Do you use TomTom Home to update your TomTom 520? Also, when you connect your TomTom to your computer do you see the TomTom as an extra drive and thus you can see all of the files in your TomTom?

I presume that you're using the "Speed Zone Complete" i.e. one set of files for each speed limit and type of camera?

If yes, then have a look in your map folder and have a look for the following:
.OV2 (these are the actual database locations)
.BMP (these are the icons that show the locations on the map)
.OGG (these are the audio warnings for the locations)

You may see two sets of .BMP for each location if you do then you will see that their name indicates that they are bigger and these are used for the warning message that flashes up on your screen when a proximity alert occurs.

Ensure that you have the latest database, at least 25 items if you don't use pMobile and possibly 33 if you do use pMobile - I don't use pMobile.

Next ensure that you have the identically named .BMP and .OGG files.

Finally you need to go through all of your proximity alerts to ensure that they are set up correctly.

Finally ensure that you have no old versions or consolidated version in your system.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maggie.

I run a GO520. Post again if you still have problems.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maggie25,

As you've updated your 520, I'm going to presume that you backed it up before you updated it. Thumbs Up

Your "mapsettings.cfg" in your map folder (e.g. Europe, Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB, UK, etc) may be corrupt. To test and hopefully fix it try the following:

1. Take a backup of your current mapsettings.cfg file - store it in a safe place.
2. Copy a previous (working) mapsettings.cfg file to overwrite the current one.

If that works then great, if not reverse the process and replace the old mapsettings.cfg with the newer one.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: False alerts and no verbal warning for Specs cameras Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I use TT Home2 to update. Yes i can go to the root files: No I use the "Consolidated by type files" Yes backed up prior to updating.

Yes thank you, I can do as you suggest BUT Ooops had one of my impulsive brainstorm moments and decided to remove all the existing PGPS from my TT and do a clean install. Started with the POI's and deleted them. But of course the files still remain or at least the OGG files are still there. They still show on the safety screen and permit "Is this the sound you want " Sorry.

Should I still try the mapsetting.cfg files as you suggest. dont know where to go from here.
Can I totally remove he PGPS files to do a clean install.

Really concerned about this as I understand the newer TT dont accept 3rd party POI's so no PGPS. This is the main reason why I dont want to buy a new TT.

Thank you Dennis and Privateer hope I havent made the problem worse and unrepairable.

My PC dual boots Linux and windows 7. On this occasion I should have used Windows.
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: reply to 2nd post Reply with quote

Hi Privateer

Sorry I expected to scroll down to reply to your 2nd email but that was not possible.

Ok Map folder no OV2 files and no OGG files. only the 5 BMP icon files.
Thats if I am in the correct place. Root files/UK&ROI folder/41 files

Files start with borders.dat and end with UK&ROI .pna UK&ROI.meta UK&ROI meta.dct

I dont and have never had proximity alerts with larger icons, but I would like them please

Dont know how to ensure that I have identically named .BMP and OGG files but not possible since there are on OV2 files in my map folder.

The OGG files are in the Sounds folder on my TT

Yes there was an old version of PGPS on my TT.

The TT is obviously using the old version of PGPS and that has been corrupted.
I joined PGPS about 18 months ago and installed them for the first time so only one previous set on my TT Although I subscribed on a continuous basis this is the first time I have tried to update the cameras.

Thanks for your help

Cheers margaret
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Changed CFG. files as requested Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

|As above changed the cfg. files but no change.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret,

Just to recap, you're running an old TomTom 520 and your map folder is called "UK&ROI". You are running "Consolidated by file type" i.e. not showing speed limits.

Firstly, I'll tell you my own preferred setup for my 950:
1. Run "Speed Zoned Complete" as I not only see the camera type I see the speed limit too - far more accurate than the TomTom road limit.
2. I have no warnings! This is because I run CamerAlert on my iPhone.

I recommend that you use the same setup if your system allows. NB there is a limit of how many third party POIs you can load into your system so dont have 100s! IF you have a smart phone (iPhone or Android but not Windows) you can download the free app and if you're a current subscriber to the PGPSW camera database then you can use the database for free on your CamerAlert app.

If you use "Speed Zoned Complete" you will need 2, 3, or 4 files per speed and type. So using 30 mph Fixed (not SPECS) as an example:

1. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2 (location)
2. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp (map icon)
3. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ogg (warning sound)
4. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30_X2.bmp (large proximity alert icon)

You may want to start again from scratch.

1. Fully back up your 520 NOT by home but by coping every file to a new fold on your PC.

2. Clear out all PGPSW camera .ov2, .bmp, and .ogg files from your 520.

3. Decide if you want to use the "Speed Zoned Complete" or stick with "Consolidated by file type"

4. Download the database and the ogg files.

5. Place the .ov2, .bmp, .ogg files in your "UK&ROI" folder on your 520

At this point you should have the latest database showing icons of the cameras on your map. NB you will not have warnings as we haven't set them up.

Once you've done this let us know that you've done it and whether you have am iPhone or android phone that you can run CamerAlert on.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert. Your help is much appreciated. Lots to consider. I have an LG spirit LG4LTE just a cheap android phone. The sound on it is not brilliant.

Yes I would like Speed Zoned Complete". Although there are lots of POI in my TT I never use any of them. Dont know if it would be possible to delete them.
The only 3rd party ones are Pgps. I also have an 8gb SD card but of course that is external.

I know where the ogg and bmp files but I have opened every folder on every root file but I cannot find any OV2 files.

Possible cameras could be old TT but there is no function to disable. I put TT cameras on about 7 years ago but I have never updated them and according to the TT I need to subscribe to this service, therefore no access to disable.

Very odd no Ov2 files. To the best of my knowledge I have never deleted them but must have used them for the past 18 months to get the cameras Its a mystery

I will wait for your reply and any other suggestions before starting.

Oh those phantom OV2 files *%!@ ???

Thanks again. Looking forward to this as its all learning.

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hi Margaret,

I understand that you're also using Linux, I've not used that so can't advise.

I presume that you can connect the 520 to your PC and get Linux to search for files, so I recommend that you try that to find all .OV2, .BMP, and .OGG files.

Once you're sure that you have no more files relating to PGPSW camera database on your 520 you can then download, unzip, and copy the .BMP and .OV2 files to your 520's "UK&ROI" folder.

I would then try the CamerAlert android app on your LG phone. If you can get it to work then Use that as your primary warning system as it is easy to update and then your the files on your 520 just to show you where the cameras are.

It should also be possible to disable TomTom's own cameras but I think that can be done at a latter stage.

I may not be able to reply for a few days - but I'm sure that others will be able to help you. Thumbs Up

Good luck.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers part one. Part two to follow shortly.

Here's a picture of my 520. This shows what it looks like in my Mac, but it's similar enough to Windows Explorer. It shows what's in my UK & ROI folder. Notice that for every type and speed of camera, I have FOUR files all with the same name, just different endings, as I have drawn a square round.

You need to start all over again, so, first off, make a backup of the 520 - create a new folder on your PC, called for example, GO520 2016-02-12 - that'll give it today's date as the folder name. Then on the 520, click on the first file or folder, then click Edit, Select all, then click Edit Copy. Then click on your new folder on the PC and click Edit, then paste. That should copy everything from your 520 to the PC, just in case anything goes wrong.

Then on the 520, in the UK & ROI folder, highlight all the files beginning pocketgps_uk and delete them all.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part two.

Now download a fresh database. Note that at the bottom right of this picture it shows clicky things to hear a sample of the voices.

Unzip/Extract all the files from the zip download, then copy and paste them all into the UK & ROI map folder on your 520. You should then have them all showing like in the picture in my previous post.

Then you have to set them up to warn you. If you don't know how to do this, there is also a link to the installation guides on that download page. It isn't quite right when using the voice files, so if you don't get them working, post again and I'll post proper details.

maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: TT cleaned out now Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis you're a star. Ok Part 1

I had already deleted all the PGPS icons from the POI files. Now all OV2, BMP, and OGG files deleted and backed up all root files from TT

test run: no camera icons, no sounds verbal or otherwise so looks like everything is good to go.

I can force myself to use window 7 for this. ugh

Is it possible that the problem was created because, when I transferred the file last time from the PGPS database there were 3 files in the UK & ROI folder. I did not know which to use so opted for uk& roi.pna. I think it should have been the 2nd one uk & roi 100455 meta. This is the largest file with 795kB Could you confirm this please so I can get it into the correct file this time.

I printed off the installation guide so I could do it step by step. All clear and easy even using Linux except I did not know which of the 3 uk & roi files to extract the PGPS file to,
as detailed above. perhaps the guide could do with a little more precision on this point or is it just me being stupid.

yes I know how to do the tom tom set up. Im following the installation guide so if its not quite right i may get the set up wrong and will post again.

You have gone to a lot of trouble and it really is much appreciated. Thanks. M
maggie25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Dennis, Yes it was me being stupid. The PGPS files are extracted directly into the TT UK & ROI FOLDER not the individual files within the folder. Please confirm.
my excuse is that the photos on the installation guide are very blurry and my printout even more so.

Embarassed
No wonder I could not find the OV2 files.

Robert was concerned about space on my TT to accommodate the Speed Zoned Complete files, hence his suggestion to use Camera alert on my phone.

If they dont fit then we will have to reconsider. The speed zoned is my ideal.
Loads of pre installed poi's on my TT that I will never use. Is there any way to delete them or anything else to create space.

I could always put Camera alert on my phone or tablet to use just for cameras when I dont need directions.

I will download the cameras tomorrow and set them up on the TT.

When I first installed PGPS cameras im fairly sure the OGG files were installed separately
after the cameras but hopefully I will still be able to get it set up correctly.
Smile Thanks M
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, yes the downloaded files are extracted to the UK&ROI FOLDER.

Second, the reason you lost your warnings was that the new UKROI map replaced your UKROI Folder, BUT it replaced the file MapSettings.cfg which is where much info and settings are stored. For example, you will have had to set your Home location again. This doesn't happen with later TT models, probably the only improvement they've done!

Having a voice warning download at the same time as the camera download is an improvement developed some long time ago after the OVG file warnings proved both successful and popular but until that was provided we had to do them separately afterwards - it indicates how very long it is since you updated.

When you set up the warnings, the one difference is that when it asks if you want THIS sound, there WON'T be a sound, but you still answer Yes. If you are struggling, I can post a full series of pictures to help. Happy New Year.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: