Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Suunto Traverse or Garmin Epix or Handheld?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Suunto Traverse or Garmin Epix or Handheld?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edh31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Suunto Traverse or Garmin Epix or Handheld? Reply with quote

Sorry if this sort of topic has been covered already but I am after some advice. I'm looking for a gps unit which I need to get in the next few days. I want to use it mainly for following planned routes whilst hiking/mountaineering. Tracking steps, calorie counter etc are good but not necessary. Following a route, getting coordinates to transfer to a map if I do get lost and a few sensors like alimater/barometer are what I mainly want.

I like how convenient a watch is as it is essentially hands free but I understand this would limit things because of how big it can be. I imagine the accuracy and durability of a handheld would be a lot better.

Ones I am looking at are the Suunto Traverse, Garmin Epix (it does look like a very small screen to see a lot of detail on) or a handheld such as the Garmin 64s.

Any advice or suggestion on what would be best?

Thanks for your help.
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look seriously at an Android smartphone with an app like BackCountryNavigator or Locus.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have experience of either devices you mention but I do concur with jolly47roger. Neither.
I have a SatMap Active 10. But I never use it since having loaded apps to my phones/tablet that are far superior.
I much prefer to use either my Android smartphones or my Andoid Nexus 7 tablet, both loaded with the OsmAnd app (click on the link in my signature) together with a battery bank such as this from 7DayShop.
Lightweight, they fit into my map case. I carry a paper map, visible from one side and the phone/tablet from the other.
I don't think that I could ever again recommend spending serious money on a dedicated walking/biking/etc. gps.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: