Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Express map updates problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Express map updates problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbr600fv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Garmin Express map updates problems Reply with quote

I use a Zumo 550, with Windows 7. Avast anti-virus free version installed.
Express finds the unit but then fails during the update every time.

I have had an ongoing issue updating my maps, and have raised a case with Garmin Europe about this problem.

This has been going on for several months now, and all they ask me to do, is update to the latest version of Garmin express, and sent them logs of my unit.

Their last suggestion is to turn off my anti-virus software, update to the latest version of Garmin express, and then try to update the maps.

I am concerned that if I do this my laptop is open to attacks.
Would you recommend this course of action as being safe?

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and how did you overcome it?
I am not that clever with a laptop so if there are any instructions, please could you explain in 'baby' steps so I can follow your suggestions

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your lappy is behind a router, the router itself probably has a firewall that will stop most things.
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you re-enable your lappy firewall as soon as the install has completed.
Having said that, I have never had a firewall block or upset something that I have downloaded, so don't hold your breath for it making any difference. It might just work though.
If you have not had any problems before with the downloads, turning off the firewall is not likely to make any difference now, but it's worth a try.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say it fails. Where in the process? Any error message? It's safe to say that in the vast majority of cases issues like this are in the users setup somewhere, occasionally though it's due to an error in Garmin's database.

You can eliminate most wifi router issues by direct cabling rather than using wifi. Have you tried that?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: