Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Database larger on device than server
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Database larger on device than server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexpwilde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Database larger on device than server Reply with quote

Used to be a subscriber with just a garmin. recently renewed as now have a new Garmin + iPhone & iPad (not new - I'm not made of money)

Anyway . . downloaded Camaralert to my Garmin and iPad and all is well but on my iPhone the database size (for 12.105) is 38324 whilst on the server it appears to be 38101 (which is what my iPad also shows for both)

I wouldn't have noticed this except that I used my iPhone Cameralerts for the first time yesterday and driving up the M1 it didn't pick up the Northampton stretch of average speed cameras and it had different alert points for the Nottingham stretch as well.

I knew it wouldn't be a case of incorrect/out-dated data so something else is amiss.

Should I just 'restore my account' on the iPhone or have I missed some instruction somewhere ?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Database larger on device than server Reply with quote

alexpwilde wrote:
I wouldn't have noticed this except that I used my iPhone Cameralerts for the first time yesterday and driving up the M1 it didn't pick up the Northampton stretch of average speed cameras and it had different alert points for the Nottingham stretch as well.
Different to what?
alexpwilde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Database larger on device than server Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
alexpwilde wrote:
Different to what?

Different in the sense that the alerts on the iPhone differed to the current placement of the average speed cameras.

This is a regular run for me (up the M1; J15a - J42) and the alerts seemed to match my recollection of previous camera positions.

I wonder if the database on my iPhone still contains remnants of the trial database I had when I first downloaded the app - before I renewed my subscription ?

Query is really around why the database on my iPhone is larger than the one on the server and the easiest way to rectify/correct it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you might be getting the different location warnings because the cameras have been moved and you haven't downloaded the latest database - do you download each morning? I do and each morning the camera numbers downloaded are different, because the DB is updated daily for iOS and Android users. I was on the M1 south from Leeds last night and I thought there were differences, but it was pitch black and I couldn't see them clearly enough.

Second, I believe the database on your device is wiped (or overwritten) by the latest download, so there will not be any remnants from a previous DB on there.

Third, how long have I been using CamerAlert? since iPhone 3G and every time I download I notice a difference - always, the number of cameras "On Server" is less than "On Device". I always thought it was because I'm a Verifier, so I was getting all the unchecked cameras. Plus maybe that device figure also includes the ones I have reported. On reflection, I seem to recall MaFt telling us there is more than one DB and the unchecked ones go on one and then get moved onto the main one when they are checked and for users selecting to have the pMobiles (unverified) they are taken from the other DB and added to the download. So the system could indicate something like "On Server 38,000, On Device 39,000". As I'm an ignoramus, I could be talking out of my hat here! I fancy MaFt will explain when he picks up on this thread.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alexpwilde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Database larger on device than server Reply with quote

When looking at the cameras on the map on cameralert on my iPhone, it was clear that some we're missing compared to looking at the same location on my iPad.

I decided to delete and reinstall the app and this appears to have resolved the problem.

I'll double-check next week when I'm back up the M1 to Bradford

In the meantime, consider my query resolved

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: