Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic revisited
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic revisited
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Sygic revisited Reply with quote

I bought Sygic maps for Android a few years back, but gave up on it due to - among other niggles - its weird routing. Since been using TomTom which I've found fairly reliable, except for its POIs, which are often well off beam.

However, lured by the hype about dragging your route about to change it and the fact I like the 3d topographic look of its maps and the ability to easily zoom in and out, decided to give it another go - I did have the licence after all.

But before I've even tried it out on the road, I've been thwarted by POIs - at least the tortuous attempt to import them. Having eventually got the right bmp icon and file names checked and done the Rupi conversions, I then had to put them in Maps/Import. Through wasted time research I found the tip if the folder didn't exist, create it! So I had to navigate a maze on my Galaxy tablet (where's the Satnav for that?) using file explorer to: SD card /Android /data /com.sygic.aura /files /Sygic /Maps /import.....
I ask you!

On launching Sygic I get message: Error, unable to import POIs. However, three of the five groups I wanted were listed under Favourite POIs (although icon missing for one). The three are also listed under Notifications options. But do they show up on the map? No. And of course not the other two missing ones either.

What does show on the map are a load of other presumably built-in POIs I'm not interested in, such as Keith Stacy Washing Machine Repairs and Crazy George's. Amongst all the clutter of those and the like, it's hard to see what's important - like car parks! Fundamental for anyone with wheels!

I have also found that if you happen to switch temporarily to another app (like file explorer) or just ignore it on screen for a few minutes, I return to find the message: "Unfortunately Sygic has stopped. Report it?"

Happened many times in my first afternoon and doesn't bode well for when you're hunting an address in a busy city.

Not good first impressions.

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with it. The updates have fixed crashes for me and I've got used to the new ui.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then perhaps you could enlighten us as to how to set up warning distances and alert sounds for user POIs that the latest downgrade seems to have got rid of? The new UI is dire, even more clunky than before. The app has got loads of negative feedback about the new update in play store.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Then perhaps you could enlighten us as to how to set up warning distances and alert sounds for user POIs that the latest downgrade seems to have got rid of? The new UI is dire, even more clunky than before. The app has got loads of negative feedback about the new update in play store.

Coming back today from Carlisle to the South Coast, it showed , three times,
"Unfortunately Sygic has stopped. Report it?", and a red band appeared at the bottom to tell me that the GPS signal was, and I can't remember the wording, but basically 'rubbish'...this showed up probably 5/6 times, but I had CoPilot running on an old HTC Touch as well which was fine.
Sadly, I am going to go back to the old version tomorrow.
ps The Dash Cam bit was the only decent bit.
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

Coming back today from Carlisle to the South Coast, it showed , three times,
"Unfortunately Sygic has stopped. Report it?", and a red band appeared at the bottom to tell me that the GPS signal was, and I can't remember the wording, but basically 'rubbish'...this showed up probably 5/6 times, but I had CoPilot running on an old HTC Touch as well which was fine.
Sadly, I am going to go back to the old version tomorrow.
ps The Dash Cam bit was the only decent bit.

I take it that the dashcam uses your device camera, in which case, I'll have plenty of evidence of what happened in my RHS rear view mirror Smile

Their routing is simply bizarre at times.... had a 6 mile journey to an unknown address the other day. It took me up 5 miles of single track road, only to find it was 200 yards from the main road I was already on at the start.

Time for a change, which is a shame as I love the 3D map view

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 running old version of Sygic GPS Navigation
Replaced TomTom GO920
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterjhill wrote:

Their routing is simply bizarre at times.... had a 6 mile journey to an unknown address the other day. It took me up 5 miles of single track road, only to find it was 200 yards from the main road I was already on at the start.

Time for a change, which is a shame as I love the 3D map view

Absolutely agree. Sygic map looks great, routing way off. Once took me off a main road through an estate and then back onto main road a couple of hundred yards further on!

Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tablet S, TomTom. Osmand+ and Sygic. Ex-TomTom Go 1000 Live, ex-TomTom Go 700, ex-TomTom truck, ex Navman/Ipaq
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic are about to release a new version 14.7. Apparently it includes some 'Cool updates'

Like re-introducing a "Travel book" that they removed in the last update Shocked

Also "You can also search for POIs or waypoints when a route is planned, for more convenient route planning." which is what you could do before the last update Shocked

"New Navigate to Photo
We brought back the "navigate to photo" feature so you can navigate to any photo that contains a geotag. " Which they removed in the last update. Shocked

I wonder if they have re-included the ability to set up warnings and distances to user POI that they removed in the last 'upgrade'?

I wonder if they have re-introduced the ability to enter a house number when searching a postcode that they removed in the last 'upgrade'?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must not do sarcy.
I must not do sarcy.
I must not do sarcy.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But unlike TT, they are listening (their words) and putting useful stuff back in that they stupidly removed in the last disastrous update.
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
But unlike TT, they are listening (their words) and putting useful stuff back in that they stupidly removed in the last disastrous update.

Sounds promising then. Old version still on tablet and won't update until new one is fixed (hopefully).

Wish they'd sort their road priorities though, as it constantly avoids a 20 minute motorway (m6 j36-j34) journey in favour of the A6 going through at least 3 town centres. Ludicrous

Replaced TomTom GO920
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterjhill wrote:

Wish they'd sort their road priorities though, as it constantly avoids a 20 minute motorway (m6 j36-j34) journey in favour of the A6 going through at least 3 town centres. Ludicrous

That is the most important update needed, but likely to have happened?

Me thinks not - hasn't happened in the years I have intermittently switched on my Sygic app. If you don't trust its routing (and I don't), what's the point of fancy 'navigating to photo', supporting new GPS coordinates, etc?

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated my tablet to the latest version but it does not re-instate alert for user POIs or the ability to include house number in the postcode search. Both removed along with other stuff from the previous disastrous update.
Good news is the they have updated the maps to 2014.06. Still to find out whether the new maps work with the old, pre screw up version of Sygic on my phone.

EDIT: Yes they do work OK. Just replace the actual map folders in Sygic\Maps
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

Still to find out whether the new maps work with the old, pre screw up version of Sygic on my phone.

EDIT: Yes they do work OK. Just replace the actual map folders in Sygic\Maps

BUT, have they sorted out your POI problem? Or the bizarre routing?

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
BUT, have they sorted out your POI problem?
See my first sentence. NO!
Quote:
Or the bizarre routing?
Don't know, probably not, but personally I have not experienced the 'bizarre routing'. Can you give me a from/to example?
peterjhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Don't know, probably not, but personally I have not experienced the 'bizarre routing'. Can you give me a from/to example?

My regular example is my home to my depot. LA88AA to LA13PA

Suggests driving through 3 towns on the A6 rather than 2 junctions of the M6, which cuts the journey time in half.

Not the most bizarre, but certainly not fastest routing, as it claims

EDIT: Just run it after update and it routes via M6.

Might transfer new map to Tablet and see what happens

Replaced TomTom GO920

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: