Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest thoughts on Start 25M?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest thoughts on Start 25M?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Latest thoughts on Start 25M? Reply with quote

It's probably time to pension off my near-10-year-old TT GO Classic and get something which supports things like lane guidance and IQ Routes. I'm not too bothered about 'Live' features, but wouldn't rule them out. One essential is to be able to install and update PGPSW speed cameras in a convenient fashion - NOT one file at a time, which has been suggested for early versions of the Start 20 series.

The Start 25M appears (on paper at least) to fit the bill, and comes with free 'lifetime' UK and ROI maps for under £100.

BUT, some posters in earlier threads have complained about tinny sound, poor screen mount and the inconvenience of having to connect and disconnect the power cable for each use (compared with my old TTG, where the power cable plugs into the separate mount).

Just how bad are these features, or are some people exaggerating?

I note that TT's definition of 'Lifetime' is along the lines of for as long as they choose to support the relevant model. I also note that the Start 25M doesn't seem to appear on the TT website where the current models are shown. Does this mean that it's no longer current? If so (or even if not!) how long could I reasonably expect to receive free map updates?

Finally, if the sound and mount etc. really are poor, would any other models be any better and, if so, which model(s) should I be looking at? I would prefer to stick with TT (better the devil you know, and all that - and my wife has a (now oldish, but not as old as mine) TT ONE. I like the idea of free map updates, and I can take or leave 'Live' features - unless someone convinces me that they are truly wonderful!

Many thanks.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and spend it on a map update. The best alternative is the device you've already got - just about the only improvement TT have made since yours is the larger screens. Apart from that, they've gone downhill.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Save your money and spend it on a map update. The best alternative is the device you've already got - just about the only improvement TT have made since yours is the larger screens. Apart from that, they've gone downhill.

Thanks for your thoughts. I did update the maps not long ago - so they're reasonably up to date. And I also updated the application to the latest compatible version - which isn't very late!

My old TTG is certainly very robust, and has good sound - but it can't be made to do things like IQ routes and lane guidance - and you can't easily carry it in your pocket. Is there really nothing that's as good but with a few extra gizmos, 10 years after I bought it?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer - NO.

Long answer - the next range, 9 years ago, GO700 was excellent, but was the last of the good ones.

IQ Routes is historical info from a year ago. The benefit is in my opinion minimal. Not worth bothering about.

Lane guidance is pure guesswork from the map records in he device. There are occasions when it is seriously inaccurate. I have it turned off and I'm not alone in that. How on earth have you managed 10 years without some mechanical diagram obliterating the screen with arrows?

IMO both IQ Routes and Lane Guidance are great selling points which work great for TomTom's marketing team, but are little or NO use to drivers.

rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
IMO both IQ Routes and Lane Guidance are great selling points which work great for TomTom's marketing team, but are little or NO use to drivers.

Thanks. Does the same apply to text to speech/spoken road names?

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoken road names can be useful, using computer voice. But it might also get a bit wearing on your patience. I'm used to it, but when I care, I often notice advance instructions go on so long they run into the next instructions.

e.g. "after 300 yards, turn left on the roundabout, first exit, Long Road name||Turn left at the roundabout, first exit, Long Road name" - supposedly 300 yards should split the instructions at the double bar, but she takes so long the second instruction starts immediately, might even override the end of the first.

Again, you can easily survive without it, lots of people turn it off (by selecting a non computer voice).

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite correct. With every new map update, the IQ routing data file is also updated. So, for example, the data with the 930 map is more current than that which was associated with the 925 map.

The IQ routing data is compiled from driver information worldwide and amounts to 10 MILLION pieces of information per DAY.

That doesn't make it perfect by any means, but it is hardly something to shrug off as 'useless', either.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, David, the 930 map is three months more up to date than the 925 map, that's why it's issued.

BUT how old is the IQ routes data in there?

What I'm suggesting is that the map hypothetically released on 1st January 2014 has IQ Routes data up to 1st January 2013 and that the map hypothetically released on 1st April 2014 has IQ Routes data up to 1st April 2013. That was TomTom's description when it was introduced and I have not seen any revision to that. To be honest, if they had improved the timescale to, say, six months old historical data they might have considered it important enough to make a marketing campaign issue of it. I happen to think that because they haven't done so, they are simply resting on their own original sales hype to tell us the routing takes consideration of "all possible routes at all possible times of day".

My low opinion of it arose from running an ancient PDA with Navigator 6 and a v660 map alongside a more modern device and being given routing which is so similar as to discount any admiration of IQ Routes.

For rkm_hm I perhaps should say I have expressed my own opinions here. I was rather expecting others to come in with theirs some time over the past 24 hours, but nobody has.

baldy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just retired my TT Go of 10 years old and replaced it with the Start 25, i am very impressed with the screen size, lane direction etc but not the constant disconnection. I also miss the compass direction the Start 25 does not have one and i cant seem to find one anywhere to download.

Regards

Baldy1
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldy, you won't be able to find a compass to download. There's no way to add functionality like that any more (since TomTom withdrew the Software developer's kit, there's no way to get "into the system").

I think you mentioned in another post that you were hoing to find a "compass POI", but POI files are not software at all, just lists of locations as numbers/coordinates.
-----------------------------------------

rkm_hm I think you'd be very happy with any of the GOx40, x50 ranges or the GO1000 or 1005.

All of those have good sound, and good mounts (personally, I find all the models with fixed mounts a REAL pain, and I've tried several).

I have a Start 60 and the sound is definitely audible but VERY thin and tinny compared to any of the above models (all of which will be SLIGHTLY worse than your old GO).

Only problem will be finding one......
fxgopher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Micro SD slot Reply with quote

Can I store music on a Micro SD card in this item, so if I connect it to my stereo - I can get all the instructions and warnings through the stereo in my car, as well as music.

I can't seem to find an answer.

(I've inherited one, and it's been years since I used a stand alone)

Frank
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give a DEFINITIVE answer, but I'm 99% sure you can't, and for two reasons.

Firstly, no TomTom range since the old GOx30 models (and finally the GO940) have had an mp3 music player.

Secondly, I don't think any of the START range have ever had Bluetooth connectivity (but having said the START models were definitely the "bottom-end" range, they then started bringing out some models called START that were actually quite good!) I still don't think BT was ever installed in them though.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just stick my oar in by saying that IQ routes are a big improvement. On some journeys you get very different routing according to the time of day, and on a long journey we do regularly it used to send us along the "shorter" route that was actually very windy and typically unused. Thus we'd have to ignore that turning, and then hope that the traffic wasn't bad as we went on the "better" route. When IQ routes came in, it knew to put us on the better route because of the actual speeds one could achieve.

All that said, don't buy a new PND, buy the software for your smartphone and benefit from that instead. Part of the reason I bought an iPhone 6 plus was for the big screen use of TomTom software.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've not had an IQ routes mention for ages. My experience is that they seem good for the urban and suburban environment, but cross country they cause the cart-track phenomenon. Ideally I'd like to be able to switch them on and off according to location, but it is a bit of a menu rigmarole to do it.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: