Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Position Sharers Face Court
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Position Sharers Face Court

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Speed Camera Position Sharers Face Court Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Ten people face court after discussing the locations of speed cameras in France.

The motorists, who shared camera locations on Facebook (the Facebook page has 9000 members), were shocked to receive summonses telling them they were due in court in Rodez, Aveyron, in September.

One of the accused, truck driver David Alegre, who admitted sharing the information, said "I am being treated like a radar detector."

His lawyer's argument is that communicating information about the position of speed cameras on Facebook does not fall under the French ban on speed camera detectors.

As of 5th January 2012 Speed Cameras Warnings have been illegal in France. However, 'Warnings for Dangerous Zones' are legal.

The French data is available as an option in the PocketGPSWorld.com European database. Unfortunately until satnav manufacturers open up the 'warning zones' to 3rd parties we cannot comply with the French law as we only provide set points.

Use of the French data from PocketGPSWorld.com is at your own risk.

Source
email icon

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not easy to accomplish but could the set points not be converted into 'zones'? Bit like the average speed cam zones in the UK?

If so I assume that would comply with the French law?
topbrass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: French speed Camera info sharing Reply with quote

I always thought the "politicians" argument for speed cameras was to save lives, hence them being constantly being referred to as "Safety Cameras"
If that is true, sharing information regarding accident black spots can only be a good thing in helping to save lives, or am I being naïve? Shocked
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: French speed Camera info sharing Reply with quote

topbrass wrote:
or am I being naïve? Shocked
Yes Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: French speed Camera info sharing Reply with quote

topbrass wrote:
I always thought the "politicians" argument for speed cameras was to save lives, hence them being constantly being referred to as "Safety Cameras"
If that is true, sharing information regarding accident black spots can only be a good thing in helping to save lives, or am I being naïve? Shocked

Yes... In the UK!

This is France though... Different rules n stuff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Probably not easy to accomplish but could the set points not be converted into 'zones'? Bit like the average speed cam zones in the UK?

If so I assume that would comply with the French law?

But very few satnavs support zones for POI alerts.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah .. OK Embarassed

Guess I've been spoilt by my Garmins Smile
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be possible to create a "Danger Zone Start" POI & a "Danger Zone End" POI?

So you get a warning for the commencement & termination points respectively. So in that way you know that somewhere between the commencement & termination points there's a camera!

And who's to define the length of the "Danger Zone", I mean a "Danger Zone" could be approaching a junction for example and conveniently there's a camera in there too... Odd that innit! Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Would it not be possible to create a "Danger Zone Start" POI & a "Danger Zone End" POI?

Most satnavs would have no concept of a start or end though? So on some you'd trigger a end POI alert and then a start at the end if you get what I mean. It's a nightmare and would be impossible to administer.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstood.

What I am suggesting is that you create a new POI category for EUM countries which have such a system.

So let's use a UK village just for an example:

Say that you have a speed camera in the village of Westcott on the A25, so as you approach the village name boards either side of the village, there's a chime & RED notification that you're entering a "Danger Zone", when you get to the other end of Westcott, where the other name board is for traffic travelling the other way, you get a chime & GREEN notification to say you're now clear of the "Danger Zone".

Surely it cannot be that difficult to create Danger Zone Start & Danger Zone End POI's?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Surely it cannot be that difficult to create Danger Zone Start & Danger Zone End POI's?
It sounds OK in the scenario that you describe in your example, but what about a stretch of road with a bunch of side turnings? Even in your example you would need an 'all clear' for those turning down Wescott Health. Someone was trying to adapt our database for the Holux (I think) and gave up because there were too many complexities.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about the many systems that have no concept of direction? That would mean they get a Red and Green alert going in and the same going out? And for every existing POI you'd then have, at a minimum, three more data sites, and, for other more complex areas, many more.

If it were as easy as you suggest we'd have done it. We've looked long and hard at it and can see no solution that we can implement within the constraints of the devices we have to support.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad enough with SPECS zones I suspect, trying to keep up with all those 'dummy' End cams to cancel CA when leaving a zone half way through.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It's bad enough with SPECS zones I suspect, trying to keep up with all those 'dummy' End cams to cancel CA when leaving a zone half way through.

Yes indeed. Often it's not simply a case of sticking a dummy End camera there - he has to position it far enough along the "exit" road to avoid "Ending" the specs zone on the main road - he has to take consideration of the "angle of the whatsername" thing.

Take M5 heading north, there are specs approaching junction 4A for M42 heading north east. The zone ends as soon as you leave the M5 and join M42, but the "End" thingy must not be activated until you've travelled quite a distance (maybe a quarter of a mile) round on the M42. I know that last time I did the trip, I sat there waiting for the zone to clear and wondering if MaFt had paid any attention to my message some time ago to add a dummy End. He had, of course, but it was long enough for me to wonder. Plus the soutrhbound specs zone starts right after the M42 branches off, but soon enough to activate (false) specs zone for drivers joining M42, so that too has to be dealt with.

Then of course, when the spec cameras are taken down, he has to deal with all the dummy Ends as well. Fortunately his flat cap helps him cope.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a zone within which drivers might drive within the speed limit, rather than a point which they brake hard to comply with, and accelerate afterwards. On British roads I detest the many drivers I have followed who (having overtaken me) brake to 5 or 10 mph below the speed limit and then accelerate away again. At least the French system reduces that effect.
What's wrong with obeying the law and driving within whatever speed limit is in place?
I took speed camera warnings off my satnav apps, but welcome accurate in - app notification of limit changes and top right display of the current limit.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: