Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 820 Go Live- Year's subscription update is £142.45
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 820 Go Live- Year's subscription update is £142.45

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headache5678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: TomTom 820 Go Live- Year's subscription update is £142.45 Reply with quote

Looking at the TomTom website, I see the cost of a year's update is £142.45 - that is:

1. Europe Maps (£74.96, OK this does drop to half price at £37.48 if one's
maps are already up to date)

2. Live Services (£47.50) and

3. Speed Cameras (£19.99).

Its a good piece of kit, especially in a jam, but it is slow to re-plan a journey and slow to react. Overall it seems quite a good device but the annual upgrade cost is eye watering.

Any suggestions on a cheaper alternative would be good.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Garmin with the PGPSW cameras would be a good start. Most include free liftime maps and with digital traffic are excellent. Some come with smartphone link giving access to live services through your smartphone, though I've never tried them. Details on the smartphone link here:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/mobile/apps/smartphone-link/prod111441.html
headache5678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 820 Go Live- Year's subscription update is £142.4 Reply with quote

headache5678 wrote:
Looking at the TomTom website, I see the cost of a year's update is £142.45 - that is:

1. Europe Maps (£74.96, OK this does drop to half price at £37.48 if one's
maps are already up to date)

2. Live Services (£47.50) and

3. Speed Cameras (£19.99).

Its a good piece of kit, especially in a jam, but it is slow to re-plan a journey and slow to react. Overall it seems quite a good device but the annual upgrade cost is eye watering.

Any suggestions on a cheaper alternative would be good.

For what it's worth (and their cameras are NOT worth it - for example, their average speed cameras are STILL bleating away around M4 Junction 7 and I don't remember the last time they warned of a possible Mobile van site, but when they did, I was already well in sight of the thing), Speed cameras are INCLUDED in Live Services, the £19.99 version will NOT work on that device. If you want speed cameras, you're on the right site here - subscribe and get decent ones.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
headache5678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom 820 Go Live- Year's subscription update is £142.4 Reply with quote

Thank you, my final question: -

Looking on Amazon today, 1 June 20914, I see its advertising "....Garmin nuvi 3597LMT 5 inch Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates, Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth..." for £239.

Then THIS website says Nuvis are PGPSW speed-camera-download-compatible.

So I think this means it would only cost me £19.99 each year to update. Is this too good to be true. What am I missing ?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not missing anything ... nuvis can use the PGPSW database, I've been running it on mine for a while now. Even better having reported new cameras I've had 2 years worth of free subscriptions Very Happy

Incidentally if traffic concerns you you really need to get a model ending in 8 ... they use the new 'digital traffic' which is far superior to the older style Garmin traffic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: