Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 2015.10 Maps out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 2015.10 Maps out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Now had it confirmed by Garmin, there isn't a 2015.10 CN EU NT map update, from now on the NT map will only be updated twice a year.[/quote]

Hi Sussamb

Thanks for the info - don't suppose they said when the next one is for us poor relations?

Allan
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be August.
allan125
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I won't hold my breath though!!
fastprobe25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Sassamb,

I am spitting feathers with Garmin!!!

Will you do me the courtesy of connecting your 765T to your computer/Laptop which uses MicroSoft XP SP3 Operating System and open (sequencially not simultaneously):
1) garminmapupdater_V3.3.3.exe (or the previous version 3.2.2. if Garmin will let you) &
2) gaminexpress_3.1.9.0.exe (Not the Version 3.2.4.0. as it will ONLY load to a later Microsoft Operating System!)
and be kind enough to explain to me the work around to update my Garmin 760T & 765T to Europe NT 2015.10 please.
My thanks and good luck.

fastprobe25
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
CDK wrote:
I get the usual "Oops..." screen then the change of region screen but the text box is blank - so can't do that either - even if I wanted to.

I had the same 'blank box' and have also contacted Garmin ... I've updated my clone but am awaiting a reply before I update my 2508. MapUpdater does give the change of region option so if necessary I'll use that but I hope that Garmin can get Express working correctly Twisted Evil

sussamb,
I've had another think about why the regions screen shows a 'blank box'.
Taking my experience, Express does not recognise that I have a SD card in my device and reports that there is not enough space - the "Oops..." screen.
So the regions screen comes up and it should show the available regions.
BUT WHAT IF
there is not enough space for any of the regions either?
I have about 50MB free on the device; it can't see the SD card; so not enough memory to load any of the regions either.
SO I think that is why the regions box is blank.
The regions screen is populated in Mapupdater because Mapupdater can see the full free memory including the SD card.
I have never seen the SD card screen in Express - your screencap elsewhere.

My thoughts:
There should be an Error Message something like:
"Oops, sorry there is not enough space to load any of the regions"
or even
"Oops, sorry there is not enough internal memory on your device to load any of the regions and we cannot find an SD card in your device either"

As a person involved with computing from punch card and tape days right up to recently, (OK showing my age!) this probably shows the poor standard of programming and also the bug check and quality control afterwards.
They probably saw that Express runs ok on one of their (newer) favourite units and presumed all was ok - who cares about the older units (unless this is a ploy to get the owners of over 2year old units to upgrade).

Express has probably become too complicated trying to make it do everything for multiple units, so losing track, interest, or even perhaps the person who originally overlooked the design, has left - believe me that can also happen!
I realise that Garmin has a large number of devices out there, but this is not good enough especially as it appears that they now expect Express to be the default update software. LifetimeUpdater automatically upgrades to Express.

By the way I have heard back from Garmin Support (every time from different person - this is the 4th since March)
This time asked me to check if my unit was in Mass Storage Mode, if not to go to the Diagnostic Page and change it. My 1690 does not have this MTP Settings option and is in the MSS mode always. One would think they would know this - or atleast looked it up.
The second suggestion was to reformat the SD card and make sure it was FAT32. Considering that I had already told them that Mapupdater updated the unit and card perfectly....
Needless to say Express still did not recognise the SD card.

I get the feeling that whoever currently takes over my case does not read my previous answers to their own questions.
I will report back to them but I don't hold out much hope.......Rolling Eyes

.. ..
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastprobe25 wrote:
Good Afternoon Sassamb,

Will you do me the courtesy of connecting your 765T to your computer/Laptop which uses MicroSoft XP SP3 Operating System and open (sequencially not simultaneously):
1) garminmapupdater_V3.3.3.exe (or the previous version 3.2.2. if Garmin will let you) &
2) gaminexpress_3.1.9.0.exe (Not the Version 3.2.4.0. as it will ONLY load to a later Microsoft Operating System!)
and be kind enough to explain to me the work around to update my Garmin 760T & 765T to Europe NT 2015.10 please.
My thanks and good luck.

fastprobe25

I don't have those models but as I've explained there is no 2015.10 update for the NT maps, only the NTU ones.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CDK"]
sussamb wrote:
CDK wrote:
I get the usual "Oops..." screen then the change of region screen but the text box is blank - so can't do that either - even if I wanted to.

Express has probably become too complicated trying to make it do everything for multiple units, so losing track, interest, or even perhaps the person who originally overlooked the design, has left - believe me that can also happen!
I realise that Garmin has a large number of devices out there, but this is not good enough especially as it appears that they now expect Express to be the default update software. LifetimeUpdater automatically upgrades to Express.

I agree, I feel that Express has become way too complicated as it's now trying to cope with all Garmin GPS devices, including handhelds, watches etc. It's why I always update a cloned device and not my real one. That always seems to work as everything is on one card. I then transfer all the updated files manually from the clone to my satnav.
fastprobe25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: A Reply with quote

fastprobe25 wrote:

"Good Afternoon Sassamb,

My thanks and good luck.

fastprobe25"
-------------------O---------------
"I don't have those models but as I've explained there is no 2015.10 update for the NT maps, only the NTU ones."
"Good Eveving Sassamb,
I had made the assumption that the Europe NT 2015.10 version had been released based on Garmin's previous patterns of release dates!

Garmin's weasel wording, viz. "up to 4 releases per year", coupled with their unilateral declaration to abandon the MicrSoft XP (3) Operating System truly undermines the prerequisite of honest behaviour and regard for customer loyalty expected from a significant corporation such as Garmin!!

Meanwhile, that being said, would you please give some consideration to my request for a possible work-around regarding the described problem.
Thank you.
Regards.
fastprobe25"
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a work around, as there is no 2015.10 CN EU NT map, the next one after 2014.40 should be 2015.20, due release sometime in August.

Incidentally they've hardly abandoned XP, it's Microsoft who have done that. So far everything Garmin provides still works with XP in one form or another.
fastprobe25
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sassamb,

Thank you for your reply.

When Garmin dane to release 2015.2 (August 2014?), then we shall see if your confidence is well based.

I can assure you that you will be the first to know of the outcome.

Meanwhile, my best wishes to you.

fastprobe25
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
There isn't a work around, as there is no 2015.10 CN EU NT map, the next one after 2014.40 should be 2015.20, due release sometime in August.

Incidentally they've hardly abandoned XP, it's Microsoft who have done that. So far everything Garmin provides still works with XP in one form or another.

I have both a 760 and a 3590.
The latter updated to 2015.10 without any problem while the 760 shows no update available when using Garmin Express.
From your post above, it seems that there is, in fact, no update from 2014.40 for the 760 currently. Or am I misunderstanding you?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. I believe your 760 needs the NT map, and there is no 2015.10 of the NT map.

You can check by looking at the myMaps tab in your myGarmin.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Correct. I believe your 760 needs the NT map, and there is no 2015.10 of the NT map.

You can check by looking at the myMaps tab in your myGarmin.

Thanks for that. Smile

I had contacted Garmin Support on the subject and they recommended deleting and reinstalling Garmin Express. Seemingly, it did not occur to them that there was no update for that particular map set. Confused
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not surprising ... Garmin have kept it very quiet, I don't believe they've officially announced it at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: