Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 2015.10 Maps out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 2015.10 Maps out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had problems originally installing this map as it said not enough space on device - choose uk & ireland to only lose most of the features - found a 16gb memory card and let it install again full europe - forgot to test but found this morning all voices gone except polish and still no ability to use half the functions

retrying install again but if this fails hopefully can restore from the backup i made - if not then looks like it will be another return

the 3598 is supposed to accept full european maps, so why must garmin release a map that won't fit on the device.
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Basecamp won't install on XP any more, so I needn't bother downloading the maps for 7 hours then!
City Navigator Europe NT 2018.10
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8Gb should be ample so unsure why it's not working. Also the deleting of voices occurred a while back and was meant to have been fixed. Are you running the latest Express which is v3.2.4?

Before you mess about though I'd try using MapUpdater ... available here

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

It's meant to have been superceded by Express but is still available, many find it more reliable.

For once since using Express I too have had issues with Express and this update. I have a report into Garmin and am hoping for a prompt reply.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m-a-r-k wrote:
Great, Basecamp won't install on XP any more, so I needn't bother downloading the maps for 7 hours then!

Well it will but 4.3.1 doesn't support XP. Just as Microsoft stopped support for it in April so have Garmin. Basecamp 4.2.5 is still available and supports XP.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh was running the latest version when performed the reinstall

will try again with mapupdater and see if that works tonight - getting it to work on work pc is a no go

update: well finally got express installed on work pc, but wouldn't work as wouldn't obtain the serial number - so decided to try the dashboard on the website and managed to get British language installed, but no other voices would install

Will attempt again tonight at home and if still no good then will go back to halfords and see if can swap for a different model

used the map updater and again still not all voices installed
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vhs wrote:
My 3598 can't hold all the European maps from this update in internal memory. It does have an unused SD card of 4Gb but this doesn't seem to be recognised by Garmin Express on my Mac.
Does the SD card need formatting or is there some other way to activate the card for map storage?
Viv

Windows 7/64
Garmin 1690
I have similar problem trying to update European 2014.40 maps, despite a completely blank 8GB SD card in the GPS's slot, Express refuses to recognise that there is a card present. I get the usual "Oops..." screen then the change of region screen but the text box is blank - so can't do that either - even if I wanted to.
The SD card option screen never appears.
The "device" screen shows that there is about 50MB free internal memory.

I then tried Garmin Mapupdater and that worked perfectly, recognising the SD card, showed total free space, etc. Though it took about 5 hours it worked flawlessly.

I have reported the problem with Express to Garmin and so far I have had some responses, first asking me to reload Express and remove and reattach the device to Express, etc. Latest is asking for some Express log files, which I have sent them today.
So am now awaiting their response.

Another method that worked perfectly was to clone the device onto the SD card as suggested by Sussamb elsewhere on the forum, as described at:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

It just irritates me that people have to work round the deficiencies in Express, their super new software which they mention at every turn on their website.
Anyway let us see what Garmin has to say..

walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i purchased the 3598 as thought it would be better than using my mobile phone as a satnav - with the current issues with this device i've been thinking about just taking it back and buying a cheap mobile to use as a satnav

the tomtom's i'm put off because you can't install your own poi and their traffic is nowhere as good as garmin's.

the software must keep a record of what you choose as i've noticed my 2390 when it updated it said the space was not enough and had option to delete language files - on the 3598 never had this option on the latest update
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDK wrote:
I get the usual "Oops..." screen then the change of region screen but the text box is blank - so can't do that either - even if I wanted to.

I had the same 'blank box' and have also contacted Garmin ... I've updated my clone but am awaiting a reply before I update my 2508. MapUpdater does give the change of region option so if necessary I'll use that but I hope that Garmin can get Express working correctly Twisted Evil
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine updating now.

I have to assume that this update is quite large as I got the message that it is installing to the memory card.

I just hope this doesn't produce the grey blocks as reported for other devices being as I assume a card won't be quite as fast as built in memory?

I did get a high power card.

Wouldn't you have thought Garmin would have put in larger internal memory to cope with future updates being as the original maps and other files almost filled the factory default setup Rolling Eyes

If I do have any issues I may well back off to just UK maps as I will never need anything else.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3598 has grey block issues using only the internal memory. I think this is down to the 3D landscape and the fact it can't cope with it as got same with just UK&Ireland map.

Be warned that a lot features were removed on the 3598 when choose other region and when back to full it still removes voices etc so has a setting somewhere for when update again.

When spoke to Halfords yesterday that had others that complained about 3598
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I've only got a lowly 2597 as I only wanted the cams and traffic and the ability to reset my trip log.

Got 7 minutes to go then I'll see
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i'm taking the 3598 back and looking at going for the 2598LMT-D - the other option is to use my mobile device again, but didn't really want to do that as would need to fully rely on mobile signal for traffic updates

the 3598 in my view is not fit for purpose if it can't even display properly or receive the updates without having to make modifications to the install or having to purchase another memory card.

i know when I used Sygic on my mobile I could have everything else running in the background including cameralert and never had any slow down issues and that was using tomtom 3d maps - the problem was the maps were not fully upto date, many roads had incorrect speed limits and if had traffic it only worked every so often (they broke it when they updated it and started adding more features)
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 25x7/8 series certainly don't suffer from the gray screen issue but you may very well need a sd card depending on the mapset you choose to install. I need a card on my 2508 with Western Europe installed, although I also have an OSM map that takes up space.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All seems OK.

I've had a look at the device in Windows and the size of the map, now on the card, is bigger than the available space on the device.

The available space with the previous map set wasn't huge but was OK so I'm surprised.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check an old .jcv file hasn't been left behind, it was on mine

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: