Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - All clear given too soon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

All clear given too soon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Quote:
From your lay-by paragraph above, is the correct procedure to stop at the mobile van parking site and submit from there as I did or is it to hit the submission button as I drive past the site as suggested above?
To make certain that you have the correct direction, it's best to press the button whilst travelling. You can then stop and do the rest, take and send a photo, add voice message etc.
Quote:
When I mentioned "across the fields" I referred to the fact that the site I had entered was much further away from my position by road but that it was closer in a direct line across the fields which is, I presume why the satellites saw me as being within the footprint that triggered the warnings
No it's not completely distance, it's angles as well. See my previous explanation. For instance, if the cone of detection is say 45 degrees, this is 22.5 degrees either side if your direction of travel and a cam will only get detected if within this cone. Now apply this knowledge to my answer above. The angle between your heading to the cam started off at less than 22.5 degrees. As you approached the bend, the angle between your heading and the cam increased until it was greater than 22.5 and thus the all clear sounded. As you came round the left hand bend, the cam then became within 22.5 degrees of your heading. So once you are within 'range' detection is all to do with angles.
It's better with a couple of diagrams, but I don't know how to do that.

EDIT. The process is actually more complex that how I have described above, as my description does not take into consideration the heading that the camera is trapping. Your direction of travel has to be within a set number of degrees compared with the camera's trap heading as well. (It's this that bins cams on the other side of the road etc.

PS there is only one camera showing on 'your' stretch of road on the submission map, not two.

I will need to do the second camera again. It is 250-300 yds eastish of the one that is showing at 53.260853, -3.230628. which has four arrows showing on my phone. The missing one is showin two arrows aligned with the road. Any idea why the second camera site is not showing when it was done perhaps a couple of hours after the first one and must have been received by the system as I had an acknowledgement

Yes I understand the cone of detection but am still puzzled as to why I had an All Clear on a straight stretch of road with the mobile trap point directly ahead of me and before I had entered the trap area.

I owe you a Christmas card.
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Dennis, kind of you to take the trouble.

See above response on the puzzle of the false All Clear.

Do I need to do both mobile van parking sites again or will that cause a conflict in the database?

Cheers

T
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Taffia Please stop using the Quote button. Use the Post reply button instead to stop repeating everything that has gone before. You still havn't read your PM.
Tafia14 wrote:
Do I need to do both mobile van parking sites again or will that cause a conflict in the database?
No because the cameras are entered into the database manually by MaFt as I have said before. There is only the one cam showing on the PGPSW database at present. The one that you seem to have on your device further to the east is not in the master database.
You keep on about the false all clears but you won't tell us where they are occurring and where the first alerts are happening. Without this information, it is impossible to try to find an answer.
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen the PM, sir.

I thought I had told you where the false all clears were. The first three warnings and all clears soon afterwards were on the twisty road leading to the cross roads and I think we have established they were probably due to the site being within the cone.

I then wrote:

"Yes I understand the cone of detection but am still puzzled as to why I had an All Clear on a straight stretch of road with the mobile trap point directly ahead of me and before I had entered the trap area"

This false all clear referred to the site I had just uploaded to PGPSW, the one with the four arrows and the one that is showing on your database. I don't recall anyone saying the sites were loaded manually and wonder why one was loaded and the other not.

Cheers

T
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tafia14 wrote:
but am still puzzled as to why I had an All Clear on a straight stretch of road with the mobile trap point directly ahead of me and before I had entered the trap area
Had you passed the first one?
Quote:
I don't recall anyone saying the sites were loaded manually and wonder why one was loaded and the other not.
The manual loading of sites is done by MaFt. If a new site is in a popular position, he gets loads of reports about it. The problem is that the reports can spread over several hundred yards. This would make a hell of a mess of the database if they were automatically added so he 'filters' them and makes his best guess at where they are. Mostly the accurate position is sorted when the site/cam is verified by one of the verification team.
As to why your other one was not added maybe MaFt will chose to answer that when he feels like it (or maybe not). Did you put in a good voice description of the two sites explaining that there were actually two, and you hadn't accidentally reported one site as two? He gets loads of false reports, several have been in the North sea, and quite a few in people's back gardens whilst they were 'playing' with CA and probably quite a few from peoples couches as well Very Happy
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was approaching the camera site at the west end of the killing ground and had the warning but also the all clear before I reached that site.

At that point I had not submitted the second camera site so that could not have been a factor and of course the second camera site traps drivers in the killing ground just as the first one does but from the other end. They use the same area to trap. I put the second site in on my return from my local town

It could take some time for these sites to be verified as the road is not a through route and is mainly used by locals. Seems I must be the only PGPSW subscriber in the area as these sites are red hot.

I didn't do a voice report though MaFt does know from this discussion thread that there are two sites. I guess the reason only one has been logged is that he thinks they are the same site.

I note that Camera Alert shows a similar situation on the Meliden, Prestatyn road, theA547 where vans park at either end of what is known as The Meliden Dip. One site is at 53.31828, -3.40779 and the other end is at 53.32603, -3.40497. They seem to be a similar distance apart as the two I have input.

One of the directions shown there is wrong in that the trappers shoot into the dip towards each other though I guess the arrows should perhaps show reversible as they can get us from in front or behind.

Cheers

T Smile
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

I again drove the road with the two mobile trap points I submitted today. The warning came as expected as I approached the trapping ground heading west ( ish ) and lasted through the trap area.

When I came back along the twisty road I kept getting warnings then all clear as before. I noticed the warning came as I changed direction towards the mobile site and the all clear came as the road turned away as expected.

When I came back and approached the most westerly of the sites driving east I had the warning but the all clear was given as I was still in the centre of the trapping area.

I did mark the site as "seen again" because the van was there but it shows in a different position on my phone even though I was careful to mark it as I passed the site. My wife was driving at the time.

Any more ideas, folks?
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a solution to this problem, folks?

Cheers..
T
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did it not give you a warning for the most easterly cam after the all clear?
Both cams are now in the database shown as reversible.
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello sir, thanks for replying.

No I didn't get a second warning and was still in the danger zone for both mobile sites as they "shoot" towards each other from either end of the trap area.

It is of course the same mobile van which parks at one or the other end of the trap area.

Regards

T
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then I give in.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tafia14, you may get more of an idea what is happening with CA as you approach/pass if you change your view to "LIST". You may already be using this but if not you will notice a list of cameras within range, the closest is at the top of the list and an arrow points at the camera location.

Clutching at staws here but it may be worth a try.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth... I have found that sometimes I don't get an alert for a second camera when they are close to each other - those two look to be not much more than 300 metres apart.

Today, and not the first time, I DO get All Clear sometimes when I slow down below the detection cone reach. For example, a camera warns as I approach, but then gives an All Clear when I stop at the lights, or in stationary traffic, then warns again when I start to move again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, I'll try the list mode and report back though I don't travel that road very often. ( usually on a Thursday food shopping trip)

Strangely I didn't get an early all clear when I drove through the trap zone towards the west; only coming into the zone from the other direction.

Cheers

T.
Tafia14
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been along that road again and the CA worked as it should. The All Clear came after I had passed the second camera site and had left the killing ground.

I have re-submitted the most easterly of the two sites, this time whilst the car was driven by my wife and thus was moving rather than the first time I submitted when it when parked at the mobile van site. I later noticed I had failed to note it was reversible and have now corrected that under Edit whilst "sitting on my couch" as someone mentioned. I trust that won't affect the siting.

I have submitted another site by the local school and have filled in the relevant forms to explain .

One query. when is the actual location locked into the phone? Is it when we hit the mobile camera icon or is it when we hit Submit Camera? I note the one by the school I have submitted today is showing on my phone a few yards short of the actual site and perhaps this means the location is locked into the phone when we hit "Mobile" rather then when we hit Submit camera"

Cheers
T.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: