Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - questions about the Active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

questions about the Active 10
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lundavra
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 17, 2007
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: questions about the Active 10 Reply with quote

I am looking for something to replace my old Garmin eTrex and someone recommended the Active 10. I keep filling up the memory in the eTrex so as memory is so cheap now I want to able to put a large memory card in a GPS and hold a large number of waypoints/POI/whatever. I am trying to get my head around how the Map Card works, does it just load part of the map and if so how much? The user guide is very short on detail.

Also I can't see any figures on battery life, again the user guide is short on detail. I know it is variable but they should be able to give a rough estimate.

One of the things I like about my Garmin is the very old Mapsource software which makes it very easy to load waypoints - I rarely need a route. The SatSYNC sounds as if it might do the job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1928

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatMap routes are saved to the Sd map card. My map card of north spain is 4Gb in size. About 2Gb is SatMap mapping with about 2Gb spare for my use/routes/data. I don't use SatSync so can't comment but I save my routes as Raw Gpx files and they are tiny. I understand that they do get compressed further if you "SatSync" them though.

SatMAp appear quite a friendly, customer orientated company, I'm sure if you approached them before your purchase and said that you'd be prepared to pay for a larger Sd card than normal, they would oblige.

However, wait for further replies from UK users as there may not be a storage problem on UK Sd cards either.
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Mar 18, 2011
Posts: 4385
Location: West Sussex

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you'd be better off getting an Etrex 20. It'll take cards up to 32Gb with free maps available at www.talkytoaster.co.uk for the UK.

It will also accept waypoints from Mapsource Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lundavra
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 17, 2007
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
SatMap routes are saved to the Sd map card. My map card of north spain is 4Gb in size. About 2Gb is SatMap mapping with about 2Gb spare for my use/routes/data. I don't use SatSync so can't comment but I save my routes as Raw Gpx files and they are tiny. I understand that they do get compressed further if you "SatSync" them though.

SatMAp appear quite a friendly, customer orientated company, I'm sure if you approached them before your purchase and said that you'd be prepared to pay for a larger Sd card than normal, they would oblige.

However, wait for further replies from UK users as there may not be a storage problem on UK Sd cards either.


Thanks, the user guide seems sparse on such important bits of information! I don't see me buying other maps so probably not a problem. I notice some comments say the company recommend making a backup of the card which implies that you can copy to another SD card so I wonder if you could copy to a large card?

I had another look around this morning and see that the Active 12 is expected to be available next month with a higher resolution screen and a few enhancements. I might wait and either pay a bit more for an improved model or take advantage of any reductions on the Active 10.

Though I do like the sound of the higher sensitivity (I think) of the Garmin GPSMap series and some of the Magellan. Nothing more annoying than not being able to get an adequate signal.

I also found from various websites (not the user guide) that you can expect a couple of days usage with the rechargeable batteries which is fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1928

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick couple of comments-
Although it's possible to copy the map to another card/device it's not possible to use it from that card. The map is locked to the original card. The copy is only for backup purposes incase the original card data gets corrupted.
Not sure how long that my rechargeable battery would last for but it certainly lasts for a days walking with some to spare.
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rothers
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 28, 2007
Posts: 134

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found max battery life for the Active 10 with sensible power saving settings is about 12 hours. Would expect the Active 12 with it's higher rez screen, bluetooth and altimeter to be considerably less.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lundavra
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 17, 2007
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I presume there is something physical about the card that identifies it as difficult to see how they can prevent a copy being used unless there is something very clever about the formatting that normal copying programmes will not do.

With my type of usage, a 'day' is adequate as normally can charge overnight and it is always possible to swap batteries if caught out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rothers
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 28, 2007
Posts: 134

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Secure Digital card, they contain an encrypted key. Without this the Satmap won't use the map.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lundavra
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 17, 2007
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothers wrote:
It's a Secure Digital card, they contain an encrypted key. Without this the Satmap won't use the map.


OK thanks, that makes sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1928

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lundavra wrote:
..... and it is always possible to swap batteries if caught out.
Removing the LiPol and clipping in the AA battery cradle is not the easiest thing to do, especially up a mountain with the rain lashing down. I tend to use a PowerMonkey with the Usb and MicroUsb attachments in case either my my SatMAp or MobilePhone start to run low.

PowerMonkeyAtAmazon

EDIT-
Or there's this UsbCharger
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lundavra
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 17, 2007
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
lundavra wrote:
..... and it is always possible to swap batteries if caught out.
Removing the LiPol and clipping in the AA battery cradle is not the easiest thing to do, especially up a mountain with the rain lashing down. I tend to use a PowerMonkey with the Usb and MicroUsb attachments in case either my my SatMAp or MobilePhone start to run low.

PowerMonkeyAtAmazon

EDIT-
Or there's this UsbCharger


I tend to avoid mountainsides when the rain is lashing down, had enough like that before I retired!

I like the look of the Active 10 (and 12) but beginning to think that I might got for the Garmin GPSMap with its higher sensitivity. I have tried searching on sensitivity but not seen anything to suggest that the SatMap Active units have the sensitivity of the GPSMap.

It's a pity the manufacturers cannot come up with a way of specifying sensitivity so you can easily compare.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor


Joined: Dec 17, 2003
Posts: 141
Location: North Devon - England

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have had an Active 10 since the first few months of production.
The customer service is exemplary.
Just a few weeks ago I "lost" my unit along with a very expensive custom map. A phone call got a complete replacement, including the custom mapcard, on my doorstep within 36 hours. Amazing.
My previous experiences with customer service had been equally satisfactory.
As far as accuracy is concerned, it invariably shows my position on the 1:25k map as on the correct side of the stream/stone wall/path which is as good as it gets. It doesn't "lock-on" on switch on as quickly as some other GPS, (However, by the time I have put my boots on, checked my rucksack contents, and locked the car it has usually found itself.) but when we compared other units positions shown in the field, the Satmap is invariably more accurate.
Two companions of mine have switched from Garmin to SatMap on the strength of seeing my unit in use.

The only points that irk me still are the flimsy USB cover and the battery connector. I don't think either of these have been addressed in the Active 12 - the bluetooth (and orange buttons) is probably a bit of a gimmick, and the improved screen resolution is nice but not relevant when in thick fog on the high moor.
Also, SatMap have listened to users (probably on this forum) and included many suggested improvements to the software over the years. It is now really user friendly, and stable.
A freshly charged battery lasts well over 12 hours with sensible energy saving settings.
Expedition is really good, and a shame it is not bundled free with the unit.
When I "lost" my SatMap I thought for about a nanosecond about switching brands. The Garmin doesn't come close IMHO.

Quote:
beginning to think that I might got for the Garmin GPSMap with its higher sensitivity

Why do you think the Garmin has higher sensitivity? when you then say-
Quote:
I have tried searching on sensitivity but not seen anything to suggest that the SatMap Active units have the sensitivity of the GPSMap.

Good luck

Roger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lundavra
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 17, 2007
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerfrit wrote:
.... Why do you think the Garmin has higher sensitivity? when you then say-
Quote:
I have tried searching on sensitivity but not seen anything to suggest that the SatMap Active units have the sensitivity of the GPSMap.

Good luck

Roger


As I mentioned it is hard to find the sensitivity of different models because the manufacturers do not quote any figures.

Quote:
Quadrifilar helix antenna: Unlike the flat patch antenna, which gets its best reception when held horizontally, the spiraling "quad helix" antenna gets the same reception regardless of whether held horizontally, upright in your pocket or stuffed into your pack lid.

High-sensitivity chipset: Newer GPS units contain high-sensitivity chipsets that permit the GPS to use a weaker satellite signal when calculating your position. This improves performance under trees or in canyons.


Searching around online suggests that most modern receivers have the more sensitive receiver chips. Certainly the GPSMap has the better antenna.

There is nothing more annoying that struggling to get an accurate position under tree cover. I often use my GPS for recording positions of places for recording on official records so like to have as accurate a position as is possible.

Unfortunately most of the advertising on manufacturer's sites and reviews concentrates on the 'bells and whistles' features and never giver a comparative measurement of sensitivity apart from vague subjective comments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
davidor
Regular Visitor


Joined: Nov 14, 2008
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is nothing more annoying that struggling to get an accurate position under tree cover. I often use my GPS for recording positions of places for recording on official records so like to have as accurate a position as is possible.


Having had a Garmin that would lose signal if it got a bit cloudy, I was actually very impressed with how well the Satmap held its satellite lock when under trees etc. Maybe that is why it takes a bit longer to acquire satellites, but once locked on it holds on to them better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member


Joined: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 959
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerfrit wrote:
Hi
I have had an Active 10 since the first few months of production.
The customer service is exemplary.
Just a few weeks ago I "lost" my unit along with a very expensive custom map. A phone call got a complete replacement, including the custom mapcard, on my doorstep within 36 hours. Amazing.
My previous experiences with customer service had been equally satisfactory.
As far as accuracy is concerned, it invariably shows my position on the 1:25k map as on the correct side of the stream/stone wall/path which is as good as it gets. It doesn't "lock-on" on switch on as quickly as some other GPS, (However, by the time I have put my boots on, checked my rucksack contents, and locked the car it has usually found itself.) but when we compared other units positions shown in the field, the Satmap is invariably more accurate.
Two companions of mine have switched from Garmin to SatMap on the strength of seeing my unit in use.

The only points that irk me still are the flimsy USB cover and the battery connector. I don't think either of these have been addressed in the Active 12 - the bluetooth (and orange buttons) is probably a bit of a gimmick, and the improved screen resolution is nice but not relevant when in thick fog on the high moor.
Also, SatMap have listened to users (probably on this forum) and included many suggested improvements to the software over the years. It is now really user friendly, and stable.
A freshly charged battery lasts well over 12 hours with sensible energy saving settings.
Expedition is really good, and a shame it is not bundled free with the unit.
When I "lost" my SatMap I thought for about a nanosecond about switching brands. The Garmin doesn't come close IMHO.

Quote:
beginning to think that I might got for the Garmin GPSMap with its higher sensitivity

Why do you think the Garmin has higher sensitivity? when you then say-
Quote:
I have tried searching on sensitivity but not seen anything to suggest that the SatMap Active units have the sensitivity of the GPSMap.

Good luck

Roger


Was this an insurance claim .. if so, I'm interested to know their position ? And, I didn't think that Satmap kept a copy/ies of all Custom maps ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
19.121 (01 Dec 21)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping