Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Experience with TomTom 600
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience with TomTom 600
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Experience with TomTom 600 Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Going back to sixhundred's original post...
sixhundred wrote:

As mentioned in various other posts there is a lot “missing” from the 600. But that’s when you compare it to TomTom’s other high end existing devices. If people need all the bells and whistles which make up the difference then find the TomTom device which fits the bill.

But that's the problem, soon there won't BE any of the old high-end models to opt for instead.

If you look on TT's own website, they have already relegated the GO1000 series (and 825) to an info page with no price quoted, so they are obviously phasing them out.
The VIA and START models still have prices shown, but they are lower spec-ed devices with fewer features, and you can bet your life they won't be producing any more in those ranges either.

All absolutely true.

Having now used the 600 for a while I don't actually miss any of the features from my old 1005. The new units do have different ways of doing things but are still extremely good navigation devices. 99% of the time I have the device just showing me the way to my destination, keeping me abreast of the traffic and re-routing when required. That's it.

The 600 has some very positive improvements e.g. the new UI and the search are very good.

I do wonder if TomTom have done this deliberately - to really focus on what the vast majority of customers use. A tough decision to make but sometimes it's the right one. It'll all be down to the sales. Customer is king and we've now into the Xmas season.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you've found the new "Search" function acceptable. I have tried to find MANY places with it and it has been pathetic.

Some recent examples that spring to mind...

Howletts Zoo Park in Kent -
Enter "Howletts" - get several road names on the left and some spurious stuff on the right (where the POIs are supposed to show) - including a heel bar in Marylebone!
Enter "Howletts zoo" - get NOTHING

Rye Meads RSPB bird reserve in East London
Enter "Rye Meads" or "Rye Meads RSPB" - get NOTHING

It cannot even find main line railway stations!

I was looking for Taunton Station....
Enter "Taunton station" - on the left you get a bunch of "Station Roads" in various villages (which may or may not be close to the main line station), and on the right you get a load of garages and petrol filling stations

Enter "Taunton Railway Station" and you get "No addresses found" on the left and a "Europecar" depot (which just happens to be near the station) on the right.

Even worse, I was looking for Vauxhall Station in London....

Enter "Vauxhall Station" - you get ONE result on the left, for a Vauxhall station in [Great Yarmouth, and on the right you get "The Station Hotel in Victoria" for some daft reason and several Vauxhall car dealerships and garages.

Enter "Vauxhall Railway Station" and you get "No addresses found" and "No POIs found"

All of these were simple to find using either built-in or user-added POIs on older models.

Does that sound "fit for purpose" to anyone?
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

I'd be really surprised if it could find Rye Meads in "East London" - it is just outside Hoddesdon about 8 miles north of M25
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Even worse, I was looking for Vauxhall Station in London....

Enter "Vauxhall Station" - you get ONE result on the left, for a Vauxhall station in [Great Yarmouth, and on the right you get "The Station Hotel in Victoria" for some daft reason and several Vauxhall car dealerships and garages.

Enter "Vauxhall Railway Station" and you get "No addresses found" and "No POIs found"

If I search for Vauxhall within the locality of "London" then the station comes up on the list of POI. No issues.

If I do the same search within the locality of current map when I'm 100 miles from London then I get all sorts of other results with Vauxhall in the name.

The one thing which would be useful is to restrict the POI search to particular types e.g. Railway Stations. Perhaps this might be added later.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

I'd be really surprised if it could find Rye Meads in "East London" - it is just outside Hoddesdon about 8 miles north of M25

Sorry, that was just to give the forum an idea of where it is, as I live in west London, and I drive east to get there, it's "east" to me.

But the point is, you can't ask these new TomToms to find a place near anywhere in particular any more. You just do a "search" and have no options to tell it where to search.

sixhundred wrote:

If I search for Vauxhall within the locality of "London" then the station comes up on the list of POI. No issues.

Well I'm doing it from home in a West London Postal district
and it's not appearing at all.
nikolaus_otto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of openness we have reason to believe this user works for TomTom so please bear this in mind when reading the reply. - MaFt

Of course you can, in the search screen, just press the 'Current map' button and there's a whole set of search criteria you can select from. And if you click somewhere on the map, you can do a "Search Near Here" too.

On the categories, if you type "station" then pick "Railway station" on the right, you'll be filtering search results to railway stations... then type whatever you want to narrow it down or pick "In town or city" from the top right button.
nikolaus_otto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of openness we have reason to believe this user works for TomTom so please bear this in mind when reading the reply. - MaFt

[quote="Anita"]
technik wrote:
The right option for mounting a satnav is the one the driver feels most comfortable with - as long as that isn't in the middle of the windscreen!

Or maybe the middle of the windscreen is fine. New tom-toms have this toy where you search for "nightdrive" and a HUD mode appears on the main menu.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikolaus_otto wrote:
On the categories, if you type "station" then pick "Railway station" on the right, you'll be filtering search results to railway stations... then type whatever you want to narrow it down or pick "In town or city" from the top right button.

So you can... But you CAN'T type "Railway" or "Railway Station" straight off. That gives no results, and that's plain stupid.

It also doesn't explain the DOZENS of other failed searches I've had.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: