Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Variable Cameras M1 & M25 are they actualy Live!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Variable Cameras M1 & M25 are they actualy Live!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
porge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Variable Cameras M1 & M25 are they actualy Live!? Reply with quote

hi guys, i drive each night down M1 and western side of M25, every night from Milton Keynes to Luton J10 there are speed restrictions for road works norm 50 or 40 mph, also on M25 there are often restrictions in place for works.

are the gantry based Vari Cams Live? apart from the cams on the gantry either side just north of J10 M1, i have not seen any flashes, i stick to the shown restricted speed as i value my clean licence, but i scare the crap out of me and other drivers when Artic's etc come bounding down your offside at 56+ when you sat like a lemon at 40 or 50!

if they are all live (the cameras in place and that match the database) what are they set at? if its +10% +2mph cars still bang through at more than 57mph,

i know knowing my luck if i sped through i would get flashed, just wondered if anyone knew what the score is on these sections of road?

Cheers
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Variable Cameras M1 & M25 are they actualy Live!? Reply with quote

porge wrote:
as i value my clean licence,.......if i sped through i would get flashed,
Can't answer your question, nor I suspect can anyone else give a definitive answer but I think you have pretty much answered it yourself. It has been rumoured that the variable speed ones don't trap when NSL is in force, but I wouldn't bet 3 points and £60/£100 on it.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been local suggestion that people have been caught by the M42 cameras when the signs are blank.

Regardless of whether they capture or not, the speed limit is whatever the signs say it is. If you have a yellow jacket, wear it with your elbow out the window then drive at the speed limit (or a reasonable small bit over) and watch everyone remember what speed they should be going at.

Gerry
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
If you have a yellow jacket, wear it with your elbow out the window then drive at the speed limit
Wot and air condition the M25? I don't think so. A blue light on the roof works for me Twisted Evil
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the M25 western section, clockwise, there is a camera gantry just before the M4, junction 15.

This section is 6 lanes, 3 for M25 straight on and 3 for the M4 feeder.

Thu, Fri the normal situation is that the 3 outer lanes are almost stationary and the 3 inner lanes are free flowing. (Not always true as the third lane is often filled with vehicles trying to cut into the M25 inner lane having undertaken the ones queueing).

The overhead speed limit is 40 but everyone in the inside lanes is doing 50-60.

One of these days I'll get the NIP when they activate the variable camera and when that happens I'll post.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole fiasco about not having the right authorisation is laughable. Providing the cameras are accurate then they should really be in use.

I remember back in 2004 when they widened the M25 and put working roadside 40mph cameras in - the traffic flowed perfectly, even with reduced lane width.

As it is no one does the variable limit and a jam appears in no time.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read, it's because the numbers on the variable speed limit signs are the wrong shape, and as such are not approved for speed limit enforcement.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
From what I have read, it's because the numbers on the variable speed limit signs are the wrong shape, and as such are not approved for speed limit enforcement.

Yep - different font or something wasn't it?

Sounds silly, but just as we can be prosecuted for a wrong font on our car registration plates, so the authorities also have regulations to stick to.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Font is a much better word than shape, but I think they said they were too skinny
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the original 2002 regulations, the font used for matrix signs were set out and should be matched as accurately as possible.

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, Schedule 11, Part 1

The latest published amendments appear to be the 2011 ones but I don't even see mandatory speed limit signs in them.

According to The Telegraph, the problem has been sorted - presumably by adding the current font as a variant.

Gerry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: