Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon Android Manual
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon Android Manual
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Navigon Android Manual Reply with quote

Where can I download this, please?

Tony
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon Android Manual Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
Where can I download this, please?

Don't think there is one! There is a FAQ available at:

http://www.navigon.com/portal/uk/kundenservice/faq.html?id=1270&content_identifier=faq&page=1

where you can search and there is limited help available in the app itself.

I have UK plus Europe maps (sort of Europe) and Australia (a separate app) running on 3 different Sony(-Ericsson) Xperia mobile models (ranging from 3" to 5") and a 9" Sony Tablet S.
If you have a specific question or are thinking of purchasing I may be able to help.

PS If you have an Orange monthly contract you can get a cut-down version called Select for free. It does however require a brief mobile data connection each time you start the app to verify the Orange SIM.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer of help.

By way of background about a month ago I started trying to find a reliable and affordable in-car radio and satnav. I own a 22 year old Bentley and the radio was on the blink.

I soon learnt that reliable and in-car were not two words that sat easily together. I started experimenting with a Samsung 7.7 that I'd bought about two months ago.

By an incredible stroke of luck I found it sat comfortably in the car.

I also found that, in its case, it was also quite useable in my wife's Audi A3.

Initially I started the cheapo way by installing OsmAnd+. I was not all that happy with it so I bought Sygic.

The biggest problem, for me anyway, is that OsmAnd does not recognise post codes - and I use them all the time for my navigation in the UK.

Sygic was much better but still seemed flawed. It has a user forum and over the last few days it has been flooded with users saying 'Get your act together and do the things that Navigon does so much better!'

So I bit the bullet and bought a copy of Navigon. I spent almost two hours this morning looking for a Manual - as you say they do not exist. I then typed 'Making a route in Navigon' into Google and suddenly things became clearer.

I am bound to have lots of questions but my first thing is to make a simple route, put it in the car and see how it behaves - or misbehaves.

I've also put the software on my Samsung S4 phone - so I'll give that a go as well. The phone is a bit too small to see in the car so I might leave it for when I am walking - but more of that later.

Speak again soon....

Tony
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Using the map to select a waypoint Reply with quote

Tim,

Is there a way I can select a spot on a map as some place I want to go 'via' as I construct a route?

Or does it have to be a poi or road/street?

Tony
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Using the map to select a waypoint Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
Is there a way I can select a spot on a map

You can do this on the PNDs but I haven't been able to find a way on Android. I find this very frustrating as often I know a point is near an address/POI but want to select the actual point from the map. If the place you want is likely to be a POI then (providing you have selected its poi type in the Settings poi list) it will be shown on the map when you are near. You can then get it using the poi lists. This works well where you are unsure of the name or actual address details but know the general location. However be aware that many poi locations are inaccurate!
Another approach is to use GPS coordinates (if you have them or can get them using Streetmap.co.uk or similar) or do a Google search - but not sure how easy this latter is. PNDs have a search option which is missing from Android.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim,

As I thought.

Earlier today I started to explore the exportation of routes from Google maps to Navigon. I understand it is possible but I have not cracked it yet.

Currently I cannot get my Samsung 7.7 to link to the PC. It did yesterday so I need to find out what has changed. It might be the Navigon software I put on the PC - I hope not.

Back soon.

Tony
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think we can rule out 'routes' in Navigon. I got the circuit I wanted by keying in a number of waypoints.

An early one must have been the off road drive of a block of flats.

I don't sail yachts but my understanding of racing is that if you miss going round a buoy you must go back and do it. It seems that Navigon is programmed the same way. Miss a waypoint - go back or lose one hundred points!

Needless to say I did not go up the drive to the flats. I went past and on to the intended route.

For probably fifteen minutes the 'man' kept trying to make me backtrack my route to go up this dreaded drive. I have no idea how long he would have persisted. Thank goodness for the off button.

I pulled into the side of the road and tried to set up a 'route' to the next waypoint. As you point out in your opening messages the route needs a start point. EDIT - NOT YOU TIME, SORRY, BUT A CHUM ON A NEARBY THREAD. I could find a way of choosing 'pick where I am now'. Yes I could say where I wanted to go to, as that was in my list of recently chosen road - but I had no idea precisely where I had stopped and I could not face the thought of being told to visit something wrong I had entered before I went on to where I intended to go.

So I resorted to the My Destinations panel where also yesterday's choices were listed - and in that mode you do not need to key in a start point.

Routing would drive me spare. You pick your route and decide to by-pass a town - how long will the dreaded machine keep telling you to go back?

I am pretty sure Sygic will be no better. At the moment I am waiting for them to tell me how to arrange a route in the order I want and not have it optimised.

I am still confident the Navigon will work as a replacement satnav to the Garmin - and as I never put routes into that either I am no worse off in that respect.

You learn lots and quite quickly in this game!!

Bye for now.

Tony
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Tony, I've no experience of Sygic or Navigon other than I tried them and couldn't get on with them. The TT app works as you would expect and does optimise the route for 3 or4 waypoints, but no more. Navigate to PostCodes, addresses, LatLong, POIs, etc. Wait for one of their "Happy Hours" though if you want a bargain.

Edit - and has the ability to easily change the order of (optimised or not) waypoints if so desired.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
Currently I cannot get my Samsung 7.7 to link to the PC.
Android mobiles/tablets vary in the way they link to PCs and/or Navigon Fresh. Two of my Xperias will link to both PC and Fresh using the MSC (Mass Storage Mode) options but the Z and tablet cannot be seen by Fresh so I have to use my router wifi to download maps etc.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
I don't sail yachts but my understanding of racing is that if you miss going round a buoy you must go back and do it. It seems that Navigon is programmed the same way. Miss a waypoint - go back or lose one hundred points!

To delete the current/next destination (best done while stationary!):
Tap Settings
Tap Route
Tap Skip Current Destination

Can also be used to add additional destinations, change Route Profile, etc.

There is not an option for most efficient delivery route to several destinations (aka round robin) AFAIK.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Two handy replies. Thank you.

With regard to the Navigon Fresh problem my reading so far suggests that it cannot 'see' my 7.7 but might do if the 7.7 had a drive letter. I'd pursue that had you not mentioned wifi. When you have a moment to spare can you point me to somewhere explaining how to transfer the route that way.

Second point. Deleting a missed waypoint. I have just looked at that route setting. So, skip will kill the missed waypoint? What does block do, please?

Tony
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
With regard to the Navigon Fresh problem my reading so far suggests that it cannot 'see' my 7.7 but might do if the 7.7 had a drive letter. I'd pursue that had you not mentioned wifi. When you have a moment to spare can you point me to somewhere explaining how to transfer the route that way.

Second point. Deleting a missed waypoint. I have just looked at that route setting. So, skip will kill the missed waypoint? What does block do, please?
Android devices (like Apple's i-phone also) are Linux/Unix devices - this is why you have to mount/unmount storage cards.
This means that the android device has to make itself look like a normal USB storage device when connected to a PC/Fresh. There are a number of ways to do this and most work with a PC connection but Fresh is more picky. Your mobile/tablet may well offer two or more alternative ways of configuring the USB connection and it is worth trying them all to see which is best. Look for a USB Connectivity option in your Settings.

Block allows you to say a section of you route is impassable eg due to an accident. You can say how far ahead the block should go and the software will then divert you for that number of miles before re-joining your original route. I haven't used this much as I usually want to take a completely different route not re-join my original!

While I think of it - you will be offered 3 different routes initially but not if you plan a route with 2 or more waypoints.

Don't think you can import routes at all with Fresh (except for the 40 etc series PNDs).

Note that you may lose all your saved routes and destinations on a Navigon software update. Apart from converting them to Outlook Contacts and importing them I don't know of a way round this!
I suggest you do a Google search on this as someone may offer a solution. I won't bore you with N~n PND history but it wasn't always this bad!

Have used Google whilst searching for a POI and it works well. Do all searching via wifi to avoid mobile data use.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim,

I have two settings for USB on the 7.7. The only one my PC recognises is the MTP one and I use that for putting files, photos, etc on the 7.7. The other setting is PTP and that doesn't appear on my PC Explorer.

When I use Navigon Fresh it simply says it cannot see the tablet. Maybe you can help my next step?

I can create a route map on Google Maps and if I click, Send, GPS, Navigon it calls up Navigon Fresh.

I then press a Send button there and it makes a file with the extension .freshcontact in an Appdata folder.

If you look at this msg it would seem that the file should go across to Navigon on the tablet and be visible in My Destinations as Imported Addresses:-
http://www.navigon.com/portal/uk/kundenservice/faq.html?content_identifier=faq&id=20475399&page=36

I am sure I could move it from the PC to the tablet with my USB link and Windows Exploret. Where do you think it ought to go on the tablet? I cannot see any likely folder. Can you?

Tony
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
I have two settings for USB on the 7.7. The only one my PC recognises is the MTP one and I use that for putting files, photos, etc on the 7.7. The other setting is PTP and that doesn't appear on my PC Explorer.

If you look at this msg it would seem that the file should go across to Navigon on the tablet and be visible in My Destinations as Imported Addresses:-
http://www.navigon.com/portal/uk/kundenservice/faq.html?

If you have tried both USB settings and Fresh still cannot see the 7.7 then that is that I am afraid!

You can import contacts via Google who own Android but this is not the same as moving a route. Maybe Google will get around to linking their Maps app routes to other apps in the future but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Sorry for all the cold water but there was a time when Destinations and Routes could be copied from Navigon PNDs (running Windows mobile - I still have one!) as text files. The trouble was the files tended to get accidentally deleted (I used to keep a backup copy I could use when this happened). First the destinations and then the routes got put in dedicated file systems and that was that.

Check the Navigon FAQs for Android and check "Import Route" and you will see it is blank.
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Whilst waiting for what you might say I came across this:-
http://www.routeconverter.de/home/en

I managed to get it to accept a Google map but could not get it to Save as a Navigon v4 file which I think is what one needs.

It came back with a 'null' message and a 0k file.

I'm starting to think this is a pointless exercise and that the quicker thing is to work out a route with Google map and then build it on the tablets by creating waypoints at the key points. Maybe the quickest way is to use the grid co-ordinates you find on the Google Map.

And thinking further ahead maybe Navigon Routes are overkill. Take each stage of the journey, find the waypoint and force it so save as a destination and save it as a favourite if one is worried that recent is not strong enough to keep it handy.

EDIT. In fact once one has found a spot using co-ordinates you can save it as a Favourite.

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: