Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 3598-D First impressions / Latest firmware (4.80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without unnecessarily quoting your whole post. As we all know, the speedo effectively counts the revolutions of the wheel. Here's an example. If at 40MPH the wheel rotates at (say) 100 RPM giving a speedo reading of 40MPH. Now put a 10% circumference smaller wheel on the car. To do 40 MPH the wheel will have to rotate faster (say 110 RPM) to cover the same distance in the same time, thus giving a 10% higher speedo reading. QED ;=)

When you say 'not that accurate' do you mean not as accurate as I indicated or not more accurate than the standard uncalibrated speedo that Joe Public uses?

@cubit. No it wouldn't. The over reading speedo would also give an over-read to the odometer.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when was at a show in the UK and we were talking about speed cameras, etc. to the police.

We mentioned that the Satnav showed around 4 miles lower than our speedo and they advised that the Satnav will be more accurate than the reading on your speedo, and the reason why they usually allow +/- 10% reading when going through cameras is because the speedo is not that accurate.

Ideally you want your Satnav to show lower speed than what your speedo shows as then you should never get caught speeding. If your Satnav is showing higher speeds then get your vehicle checked out.

Remember though you should always drive appropriately based on road conditions and should never speed.
cubit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the difference is around 1%. So in effect, sod all.
Its not a concern, just an observation.

As to sat have accuracy. This one reads 4mph higher than speedo. My Navigon 3mph and blackvue camera 2mph higher. Again, nowt to worry about.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubit wrote:
The garmin shows me travelling 3-4mph slower than than the speedometer shows but that I've travelled 4 miles further than the vehicle odometer indicates.
You have just contradicted your first post quoted above. Which is it? It is usual for the satnave to display a speed lower than the car's speedo. If yours reads higher, have yopu put larger wheels on the car? ;=)

@walkerx. I hope that it isn't +/- 10% but just a tidy +10% + 2mph
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly (or not) I have gizmo which monitors my can bus. Shows all sorts of data, water, oil temp, speed. All of the stuff that gets fed to the ecu.

Now the can bus speed display reads almost identically to my sat nav & the miles covered seem to be the same, however the car speedo reading reads higher than both the can bus and the sa-nav. I know that the spec for speedos (when I built my car) was the speedo may read up to 10% higher than actual but never under. I think car manufacturers deliberately make their speedo read higher than actual, to ensure they comply with legislation and to allow for manufacturing tolerances.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those.I'll have to give it a whirl and see what it says abt my speed
cubit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
cubit wrote:
The garmin shows me travelling 3-4mph slower than than the speedometer shows but that I've travelled 4 miles further than the vehicle odometer indicates.
You have just contradicted your first post quoted above. Which is it? It is usual for the satnave to display a speed lower than the car's speedo. If yours reads higher, have yopu put larger wheels on the car? ;=)

@walkerx. I hope that it isn't +/- 10% but just a tidy +10% + 2mph

Typo on my part.
Eg.
Speedo = 50
Garmin = 46
Navigon = 47
Blackvue = 47
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a known fact that modern car speedos over read - fact. This is a ploy by the manufacturers to ensure that they cannot be blamed when you get a speeding ticket.

My Honda Civic has a digital speedo so it is easier to compare. My first 2007 Civic used to over read by as much as 7 mph at 70mph compared to the SatNav but my 2010 Civic only had a 4 mph max discrepancy (after many owner complaints). My 2013 Civic is slightly better at 3 mph max discrepancy.
However, the mileage figure is accurate.
I've been performing the same journey to the in-laws for decades and that figure is still 104 miles door to door on all cars I've owned.

If you fit a device like a speedo-healer to correct this then I can see the mileage figure being forced to misread
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they do this so that if you fit winter tyres on the same rims the speedo doesn't then under read due to the deeper tread and thus larger rolling radius.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible

I didn't realise that Winter tyres had a bigger rolling circumference
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The digital speedo on my car is always within 1MPH of GPS and those speed warning signs, on both summer and winter tyres regardless of tread depth.
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Without unnecessarily quoting your whole post. As we all know, the speedo effectively counts the revolutions of the wheel. Here's an example. If at 40MPH the wheel rotates at (say) 100 RPM giving a speedo reading of 40MPH. Now put a 10% circumference smaller wheel on the car. To do 40 MPH the wheel will have to rotate faster (say 110 RPM) to cover the same distance in the same time, thus giving a 10% higher speedo reading. QED ;=)

When you say 'not that accurate' do you mean not as accurate as I indicated or not more accurate than the standard uncalibrated speedo that Joe Public uses?

@cubit. No it wouldn't. The over reading speedo would also give an over-read to the odometer.

I can see where you are coming from but the speed is done from the number of pulses usually from a wheel sensor. The car counts the number of pulses and compares this to a pre-determined value in the ECU which remains constant. If the car says 20 pulses per second is 30mph, 20 evolutions on a bigger wheel would take you further than on a smaller wheel. Therefore on the larger wheel your actual speed would be greater.

To calibrate the police car, it is driven over a measured mile and the number of pulses are recorded. This figure can vary with tyre pressure, tyre wear and load. That's why it is done at the most weekly. The figure is rarely the same.

Comparing the satnav to the calibrated speed, it can be up to 5mph out at times and in either direction. With your cars speedo it can never under read so you are safer to stick with that.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

I do. Just me but I can't understand how sending data to and from a satellite in space with clouds and possibly trees in the way can be super accurate. I know it probably is but I use the car speedo when passing cameras.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
cubit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I wonder if they do this so that if you fit winter tyres on the same rims the speedo doesn't then under read due to the deeper tread and thus larger rolling radius.

I'll find out when they get swapped over in December.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Metblackrat.
We seem to be arguing the same thing here.
Wot I said.
M8TJT wrote:
The vehicle speedo is designed to read faster than you are actually going. One of the reasons is to allow for tyre wear. When the tyre wears down, the wheel has to rotate more times for the same distance, thus increasing the speed readout {snip}.

You said
Metblackrat wrote:
As the tyres wear the circumference of the wheel gets smaller and the distance travelled per revolution is less. As speed is distance divided by time this makes the speed slower.
For the same speedo reading which means that the speedo is now over reading like wot I said.
Metblackrat wrote:
If the car says 20 pulses per second is 30mph, 20 evolutions on a bigger wheel would take you further than on a smaller wheel. Therefore on the larger wheel your actual speed would be greater.
So a larger wheel makes your speedo under read. Like wot I implied.

Firstly I would like to say that I would not normally argue with someone who drives a police car for a living. So luckily for me, we aint arguing, but saying the same thing.

Right, now to convince any non-believers with some conveniently selected numbers and based on pulses from a wheel sensor.

1. If your wheel rolling diameter is (say) 15.27 inches. This gives a rolling circumference of 4 feet. At 60MPH (88ft/sec) this wheel will rotate 88/4 = 22 times per second (Hz) (5,280/4 = of 1320 per mile). Your calibrated speedo will of course read 60MPH if it receives 1320 pulses (assuming one per rev of the wheel) in a mile's travel in 60 seconds. Or read 60MPH if it receives 22Hz.

2. Now halve the wheel rolling diameter (I know this is a silly radius for a wheel) to 7.6 inches. This gives a rolling diameter of 2 feet. at 60MPH (actual) the wheel will rotate 44Hz.

3. If your speedo reads correctly 60MPH, with a 4ft circumference wheel with an input of 22Hz (Its normal calibration), then it will read 120MPH with the smaller wheel generating an input of 44Hz at 60MPH.

Part of the point that I was inferring is that I think that the manufacturers deliberately make their speedos over read is to make sure that they don't under read and have the car actually travelling faster than the speedo says.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 17 of 22

Jump to: